Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smelly stinky socks / mold in Model 3 AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But the most important thing is you doing the preventative operation. I turn off the AC with recirculate off (outside air) with max fan (level 10) for about 3 minutes before I arrive home and then I let the front side windows down for about 1-2 hours in hot garage to dry out any condensation in the cabin and air ducts.

tesla should do this as an update, but then they have to admit they have a problem ;)

It will be interesting to know if stink returns next summer (or sooner) now that, after 4 years of stink free driving, it has returned.
Do you live in temperate climate, or hot muggy location?

It was 4 years with full 4-seasons climate. Although it was mostly parked in a temperate garage.

If smell comes back next summer, i would suspect residual moisture along the climate system rather than on whatever nastiness growing on the filter.
(I let service center change the filter so I didn't get to inspect it)

Reactions: Mayer
3 1/2 months and 2300 miles on my M3P. The past few days the car has been smelling like sourdough starter yeast. Tesla wants $75 to service the car and all the post I see tell me this will be a recurring problem.
I turned of the AC and drove the car for a few minutes now the smell is gone and has been gone all day even after I park it for a bit. I made sure to turn off the AC before parking it for the night. I shall see in the morning if things still stay smell free

3 1/2 months and 2300 miles on my M3P. The past few days the car has been smelling like sourdough starter yeast. Tesla wants $75 to service the car and all the post I see tell me this will be a recurring problem.
I turned of the AC and drove the car for a few minutes now the smell is gone and has been gone all day even after I park it for a bit. I made sure to turn off the AC before parking it for the night. I shall see in the morning if things still stay smell free
I just made a very long and detailed post about this here: Sour Smell from AC - Vehicle is new

TLDR: Turning off AC and blow drying for 30-60 seconds it like you did will indeed keep the smell away forever (but you'll need to remember to do it every time). Second best solution is to use foam cleaners, but the effects don't last long. Changing filters is not going to do anything since that's not where the smell actually comes from. For short stops when you're out of the car for 5-20 minutes, consider using keep climate function. Short stops smells the worst.

Reactions: Ti317
I just made a very long and detailed post about this here: Sour Smell from AC - Vehicle is new

TLDR: Turning off AC and blow drying for 30-60 seconds it like you did will indeed keep the smell away forever (but you'll need to remember to do it every time). Second best solution is to use foam cleaners, but the effects don't last long. Changing filters is not going to do anything since that's not where the smell actually comes from. For short stops when you're out of the car for 5-20 minutes, consider using keep climate function. Short stops smells the worst.
Yes short stops are bad. I also noticed this after leaving the car parked in the garage for 2 weeks.
I saw your post after mine. I will certainly try the suggestion of drying it off to eliminate the smell. I also bought an Armor All deodorizing fogger that I will try next.

Yes short stops are bad. I also noticed this after leaving the car parked in the garage for 2 weeks.
I saw your post after mine. I will certainly try the suggestion of drying it off to eliminate the smell. I also bought an Armor All deodorizing fogger that I will try next.
See if that helps and report back! I'm still looking for a solution that is either 1. very easy to apply without taking out the filters or 2. very thorough and keeps the car smelling good for 6 months +.

Right now my car is in between being stinky and not. It's completely fine smelling if I remember to dry the AC coil and use keep climate for short trips. But when I forget, the foul smell is back 100% of the time. Faint smell if it's the first time in a while that I forget to do the AC drying ritual, and disgusting if it's more than once in a row.

2 months ago I tried a smaller can of AC foam cleaner and it only stopped the smell for like 2 weeks. When I get around to it in the near future, I'll try a mold control spray by spraying it into the system at the interior recirc suction behind the glove box with recirc ON, filters OUT. See if that does anything at all.

From my experience with 4 types of AC foam cleaners plus 2 other odor controlling sprays, once the car is stinky, none of them seem to be able to completely destroy the bacteria/fungus in the system and keep the AC smelling fresh for more than 2 months in my car. No surprises there, I'm sure some of the spores must be in other parts of the AC system and not just the evaporator coils.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
See if that helps and report back! I'm still looking for a solution that is either 1. very easy to apply without taking out the filters or 2. very thorough and keeps the car smelling good for 6 months +.

Right now my car is in between being stinky and not. It's completely fine smelling if I remember to dry the AC coil and use keep climate for short trips. But when I forget, the foul smell is back 100% of the time. Faint smell if it's the first time in a while that I forget to do the AC drying ritual, and disgusting if it's more than once in a row.

2 months ago I tried a smaller can of AC foam cleaner and it only stopped the smell for like 2 weeks. When I get around to it in the near future, I'll try a mold control spray by spraying it into the system at the interior recirc suction behind the glove box with recirc ON, filters OUT. See if that does anything at all.

From my experience with 4 types of AC foam cleaners plus 2 other odor controlling sprays, once the car is stinky, none of them seem to be able to completely destroy the bacteria/fungus in the system and keep the AC smelling fresh for more than 2 months in my car. No surprises there, I'm sure some of the spores must be in other parts of the AC system and not just the evaporator coils.
Interim report.
I have been avoiding the recirculation setting and the smell has not returned. I fumigated the ventilation system this morning using this fogger from Armor All.
Now the car smells like air freshener. I hate that but it will dissipate.
I will continue avoiding the recirculate setting as much as possible, drying the coils by running on fresh with no cooling turned on a few minutes before and after arrival.
I will post monthly updates.
Wish me luck.

Attachments

• IMG_3555.jpeg
    IMG_3555.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 63
Interim report.
I have been avoiding the recirculation setting and the smell has not returned. I fumigated the ventilation system this morning using this fogger from Armor All.
Now the car smells like air freshener. I hate that but it will dissipate.
I will continue avoiding the recirculate setting as much as possible, drying the coils by running on fresh with no cooling turned on a few minutes before and after arrival.
I will post monthly updates.
Wish me luck.

I've used a similar can from Meguiar's ... it was more "new car scent" than something fruity... I preferred that.

Reactions: XPsionic
I used this,

3X:Chemistry 46822 Foaming Coil Cleaner​

and it seems to work so far. I changed the air filters too with carbon ones.

I hadn't had a problem with it until the end of this summer after 2 1/2 years. It was a particularly humid summer in NYC if that makes a difference.

I used this,

3X:Chemistry 46822 Foaming Coil Cleaner​

and it seems to work so far. I changed the air filters too with carbon ones.

I hadn't had a problem with it until the end of this summer after 2 1/2 years. It was a particularly humid summer in NYC if that makes a difference.
Had you changed the filters previously?

I’m wondering whether changing them annually from date of purchase will eliminate the problem from developing.

Second best solution is to use foam cleaners, but the effects don't last long. Changing filters is not going to do anything since that's not where the smell actually comes from.
I used the cleaner and changed filters when the stink first occurred at around 2 years, and it worked for about another 2 years. Just did it again. It seems like if you just do this periodically it is not an issue. My filters were pretty gritty both times so it was good to get a change in anyway.

Reactions: XPsionic
I used the cleaner and changed filters when the stink first occurred at around 2 years, and it worked for about another 2 years. Just did it again. It seems like if you just do this periodically it is not an issue. My filters were pretty gritty both times so it was good to get a change in anyway.
Where are you located, what's your interior temperature set point? Do you use recirculation mode? I'm wondering how ambient temperature, interior temperature settings and AC on/off times affects the smell.

One thing I found when I was using the spray in the intake is that the baffles in the frunk were no longer attached to each other and weren't doing much of anything. I don't think that had anything to do with the smell though. I put it all back together but they will undoubtedly come apart again as there is nothing supporting them. Maybe I'll duct tape them together if I can get in there to do it.

And how often do you all use the frunk anyway? I think I've used it twice in the 2.5 years I've had the car, although I leave the leftover washer fluid bottle in there.