Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So sick of "Service".

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Service has been total crap since 2018.
The app experience is awful.
Parts are non existent. Qualified staff do not exist.

Every Single Experience I've had with service has been awful. Just. Awful.

Most recent: I approached my vehicle from the rear and with the tailgate opened I noticed the lower rear trim piece wasn't aligned properly with the sides. I went to move it a hair and fix what I thought was a simple piece. Well, no. It ripped. Fair enough, I guess technically I broke the thing that was already 'broken', and given the freaking awful experiences I've had over multiple interactions (every interaction), I made the 'appointment' that will always be moved because it's not like they only make 4 cars and have "parts" in "stock" anywhere. As well as resigned my self to having to pay for it, because even though they charge $80k for it, it's really a $25k car body.

From the photos I provide they can't "find" the part. Amazing since if I had literally any other make of car and took it to a dealer they could tell me what part it was, when they would have it, and when they could install it, in a 5 minute phone call or in person. So glad instead that I get to only "talk" to tesla via passive aggressive texts, one line at an infuriating time. What should take 5 min, takes days.

Fast forward to them ordering the wrong part, and even after explaining it was not aligned from the factory, I get the bill. Fine, whatever. I get an invoice I get to "sign" that then magically vanishes. We all know Tesla doesn't like a paper trail. Might be able to enforce something on the consumer side if you had that!

I find another email with the part number, google it. It's the wrong damn part. Now the "appointment" has been rescheduled already to a date I didn't actually pick, they did. So, thanks? That was reschedule number 2 because it's not like they could have "parts" for the whopping "4" cars they make.

So, to recap, we have
1. An absolutely awful user experience on an $80,000+ car.
2. Wrong part ordered, have to reschedule again (I even sent photos)!
3. I'm the only one with half a brain, determine they they ordered the wrong part 12 hours before they arrive.
4. Determine the correct part and have them order that and reschedule again.

In the alternate universe (real world), Audi offered me a loaner car while inspecting my Model X.
I should have taken them up on it. Even the Chevy dealer has better service.

I honestly can't suggest Tesla to anyone I know anymore. I just can't. Service has killed it. Such a shame. I've been a huge supporter, owned almost everything they've made, but dammit, this can't go on. We cannot allow it.

I'm so sick of this fight every. single. time. Even when having to pay them for wiper blades at 6 months, and who knows what else, it's a HUGE hassle. Every. Single. Time. The Audi dealer treats me so well. I just wish they made a truck.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 136
They should treat Model S and X owners like other luxury brands treat their $$$$ customers.
The cellphone thing is buggy. I've tried to get 2 small issues repaired since March. 3 tries so far. Now we go for #4.

The problem I have is with poor initial assembly causing a functional problem with using the car as a work vehicle.
Sure I could fix it myself, but why should I?

And the whole Uber ticket is laughable. Nobody who has an initial quality issue with a $90k car should have to get into the back of a Sentra that smells funny. ALL MAJOR LUXURY MFRs have some kind of loaner. Heck, Jaguar gave me Tesla Model S loaners but Tesla can't???? :D

But who are you going to complain to? And in my case, I could just fix it myself if I wasn't stubborn. It's not a big issue for me at this point, but I can see how it could be.

Don't get me started on the "lack" of loaner cars... it's sickening... and good luck finding a phone number or email for tesla under 'contact us' on the website. Kitchen Aid has 100x better customer service for my fridge! and it was 80x less $.

Should have did a poll. Who has better service: Chick Fila or Tesla... I know how I'd vote.

Can you show where this piece is on the car so I don't try to "move it".

I've only dealt with service 3-4 times. Always stellar. App works great. But they do move appt's on you.
I got a loaner and so did my friend.

My Chevy dealer is a joke. Never again.

It's all who you get on anything.

Like with Cell Phone carriers. Have a problem. You call, you don't like the answer, call back :) [often try at a different time of day or day of week]

I've only dealt with service 3-4 times. Always stellar. App works great. But they do move appt's on you.

Like with Cell Phone carriers. Have a problem. You call, you don't like the answer, call back :) [often try at a different time of day or day of week]

Yes, they will move an appointment on you with less than 12h notice. I've never even heard of that before with cars or motorcycles.
They will say they fixed things they never touched.
My text messages tell me in no uncertain terms that there are no loaners. I've never gotten into an Uber, but I've never bought drugs on a street corner either or went to a free clinic for VD.

Reactions: pilotSteve
This can very by where you live. I have pretty good service here in Chicagoland. I did need a follow up on my MCU2 upgrade from last week but they had mobile service come out and resolve it today. I try to be fairly friendly and reasonably understanding which they seem to appreciate and respond to.

I'm just so sick of it. What could be fixed in a 5 min phone call stretches out for days. Literally every other company in the world has a phone number with staff. telsa basically says tough and won't fix anything. I'd fix it myself, but ohh yea, they have a monopoly on parts too.

Reactions: InternetDude
The unfortunate reality is that until sales start hurting, Tesla has no incentive to improve things like customer service or build quality. Look at the crap they are putting out there for the Model Y. They know they are the only EV game in town right now and the way they treat their customers shows it. Personally I can't wait for Ford, Porsche, VW, etc. to start producing competitive EVs so that Tesla is forced to compete and EV consumers have somewhere else to take their money.

Reading up on twitter, it's amazing they are doing this. I can't suggest tesla to anyone because of service. What I really don't get is, it used to be good. It used to be amazing. Now it's just complete crap. All I want is 1 part and I've spent more time texting than it would have taken to click and order it anywhere if this was any other make.

I am in the process of finding a good deal on a Model X, and the threads I read about people who are very dissatisfied with Tesla service concerns me....

The only justification I can think of for this is 'during a massive ramp up where so many short sellers are trying to kill the company, and it takes every ounce of strength to post a profit each quarter, service on cosmetic related issues gets de-prioritized for the greater good of putting as many EV vehicles on the road as possible'....does this sound like it makes sense?

I mean, the counterpoint to that would be: 'you're wrong Mike, there are tons of Tesla owners who have faced really poor service related to issues that KEEP THEIR CAR OFF THE ROAD....like drive train functionality, things needed to make the car actually drive and be used' ........is that true? are there a lot of Tesla owners who have had their Tesla's sidelined off the road b/c of bad service??

If the bad service is related in 90% of cases to cosmetic issues, I'm going to give Tesla a 'pass' on that b/c I see it as 'for the greater good' which allows Tesla to focus max resources on getting EV vehicles on the road and getting ICE vehicles off. As long as the 'under warranty teslas' are kept RUNNING. (alas maybe with cosmetic issues) in a prompt manner by the service team, I would say this is an 'A' for Tesla given the ramp they are facing.

Respect to OP, and I don't know what you are going thru..... never experienced it myself

I gotta respect you've posted a ton of times and been a longtime member, so your words carry weight.

Thank you for sharing.

Michael

As Tesla has become more of a volume seller, customer service has taken a hit. A few years ago, I feared this might happen. When they were selling less than 30k cars a year in the U.S., they were fine but as more models were introduced and sales volume notably increased it was a different story.

It does seem that service experiences can vary widely, however. Maybe part of it is just that some people are willing to downplay, excuse or tolerate issues more than others but you'd think there would at least be a bit more policy/protocol consistency given that all of the service centers are owned and operated by Tesla.

I think my biggest issue is easily rectified. It's the app and the texting crap. And before anyone claims I'm that old... I'm a whopping 37. Trust me, I feel old. But I text. I really do. 90% of my life communication email and text. I get it, it's easy and "quick".
Fix
: Bring back phone numbers for service centers! Hire some staff!

But, generally speaking, many people who buy $80k-120k cars, don't like to send a text, then hope for a response in a brisk 2-3 hours or 2-3 days. And that's my biggest complaint. They have no valid phone number. No one to talk to, to discuss an issue. Every company in the world from Apple to Chevy, to Audi and on has a valid "I need help" phone number. It takes me hours of anxiety, stress, and frustration for every interaction. Think about that. Think about step 1 being infuriating for your customer. And, hey, they can keep the app/text crap. That's fine, but removing the phones was step 1 towards failure. In-fact, I'd be fine texting, if it didn't take hours (days) between responses. And every response feels so passive aggressive, it's maddening!

So, for reference, after getting no where with service texts, I just drove on down to the service center. The manager is quite familiar with my frustrations over the way they handle this stuff. He had me fixed and out in under an hour. I'm still ticked I had to pay for something I strongly feel should have been warranty, especially given the $30 part on a $80,000 car. Give up $30 here and there and you build a loyal customer base. It's literally the cheapest/easiest thing you could do here. I promise I'm not taking 2-3 hours out of my day to scam tesla out of $30. Really. It's not what you'd call cost effective for me.

The second biggest issue: Service used to be awesome. Think about that. They had something amazing. Loaner cars. Car washes. Phone calls with service to let you know they had parts and could get it done. It was so nice, it was like a luxury car dealer should be. What happened? Why?

It's how I'm treated every time I visit my local Audi dealer for tires/inspection. And I think we all know our cars love their tires! So at least 1x a year, it's yes sir, no problem, and phone calls to set it up, let them know what needs done. They even offered a loaner car, and I got a bill for the inspection and tires/etc. Not a small bill mind you, but I'm here telling you I liked their service.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable. And I don't set out to "get" any one or go from zero to pissed off instantly for no reason. I'm also not looking for anything other than a non-miserable service experience.

I just don't see any of this improving unless we let tesla know this stuff matters. I still love the car, I still don't want to drive a gas car. But service interactions are such a letdown, it's painful, and I don't feel remotely heard from Tesla at all. They make it a black box of secrets and 'we are always right'. All cars have issues. I get it. But it's how you deal with the issues and your front line customer contacts that can destroy any company.

anyway, don't want to rant, just trying to get this off my chest...

Amen! Service is the next frontier that Tesla needs to fix. ASAP.
I had the HW3 upgrade done on 6/9 to my 2017 MS90D. I requested to install the MCU2 upgrade at the same time (yes, I know it cost $). No feedback from Tesla service about my request for the MCU upgrade but the HW3 upgrade was acknowledged. I showed up at 1145 for a 1230 appointment due to light traffic on my 2 hour drive to the SC. I was told when I checked in the the tech was going to lunch until 1:15. Hmmm. When I complained that Tesla shouldn't schedule service appointments when no tech was available for the work, the SA agreed but stated he didn't have control over the available times and said he would bring it up with management. NO MCU upgrade available due to parts availability.
HW3 install didn't go well. Trouble getting the firmware downloaded multiple times resulted in me leaving the SC after 5 just in front of the SA. Got on the fwy and noticed no AP or TACC available. I figured it was just calibrating. Nope. No GPS. Now it's 10 days later and the mobile tech just left after forcing another firmware download (2020.20.12, AGAIN). Successful install per the app and car but no GPS, AP or TACC.
So now I have an appointment at the SC on 6/22. Two hour drive at 6 am. I also requested the MCU2 upgrade AGAIN but we'll see.

Tesla really needs to get the SC experience kicked up a notch if they mean to keep growing and flourish. I know that these cars will need a LOT less maintenance but they will need some. One of the most troubling and overlooked things is the "continuous improvement" that Tesla does must result in many, many variants over a pretty short period of time. Seems like that's going to be a problem, especially for those that get a variant that isn't very common.

Don't get me started on the "lack" of loaner cars... it's sickening... and good luck finding a phone number or email for tesla under 'contact us' on the website. Kitchen Aid has 100x better customer service for my fridge! and it was 80x less $.

Should have did a poll. Who has better service: Chick Fila or Tesla... I know how I'd vote.
Remember when Elon said all loaners would be Model S or X with Ludicrous mode?

• Funny
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl

1. You are still in warranty
2. you can NEVER get someone live on a phone for any reason ever, texts only
3. Yes chevies are a joke