Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So SilkySmooth never happened now waithing on SomethingSpecial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... and having done this personally 20+ times since 2014 (I think that when they added that feature), I've NEVER received any acknowledgement or evidence that anyone at Tesla even looked at the reports!

The Bug Report tag merely helps a Tesla service tech easily locate your log's timestamp if they are specifically looking at them to diagnose a problem at that particular time. It doesn't send any sort of alert to the mothership to reach out to you.

I don't think there's any fleet learning going on. What's happening now is basic lane line recognition, general object avoidance, and probably not much else.

Computer vision is a funny game. The Mobileye guys built a vision library that was obviously very robust for a very specific task. Where a huge dataset, machine learned vision net wins out is on "general" recognition - but it's still a bit unpredictable. For example, you can show it 100 images of a cat, and it'll tell you it's a cat 98 times. But, twice, it'll tell you it's a banana or a flowerpot. No one is entirely sure why.

For basic "just drive in the middle of the lane" logic, there's no need for machine learning. You'll get better results by just hardcoding some specific rules. Nvidia pushed the machine learning line VERY hard, to sell a lot of GPUs, but it's not the silver bullet in this case.

To be honest, I don't think we'll see much improvement on the current phase of AP2. It might get slightly better at stop and go traffic, and the basic driving rules will get tweaked and so on. We may see the odd minor feature, like speed limit detection or something. But, nothing crazy interesting.

Tesla are probably more interested in developing the high definition map option... I would be if I were Tesla. It basically means you don't need to worry about working out where to drive - instead, just focus on what not to hit. Everything else is already determined by the map. Speed limits, complex junctions... roadwork areas, roundabouts? These are a nightmare to work out with vision alone - but instantly solved with a good enough map. This is a much easier problem! For example:

Note that this is not an overlay of a vision recognition system - you're seeing the road map here, so it knows exactly where it should drive.

I was hoping they might shed some light on this with the release of Model 3, but nothing was said.

I don't think we'll see any real improvement in Autopilot with the current methods, or even any new features. It may one day actually reach parity (UX parity rather than feature parity) with AP1, but I doubt it'll surpass it. That is, until they start activating the high definition maps. This will probably happen just around California to begin with. Then, major highways, cities... and eventually more local roads and rural areas... think of it like the rollout of high speed internet!

17.32.6 ca28227 doesn't add any new features but it does perform better. I'm not sure what is going on with @alcibiades' car. I drive all around Chicago and while my car has departed the center of the lane during stop and go it never rides ON the lane lines. It will just drift a bit (generally left).

I'd file a lemon case against Tesla since your car is defective and I know you've given them ample opportunity to get it fixed. If you haven't tried Highland Park, they seem to be the best service center in our area.

Illinois Attorney General - Lemon Law

If you ever get an AP2 loaner, I'd be curious to see if the same thing happens or if it really is just your car. Its just so odd that your car KNOWS it is on the lane lines and still fails to correct that issue.

I find AP2 to be more than a souring debacle. The delays and lack of knowledge of the issue among Tesla employees is not even as frustrating as the entire lack of communication from the company. Silence is better than being lied to but after all the lies, silence is even more aggravating. Tesla seems arrogant to bilk so many people and think they can just send out incremental updates without substantively addressing what is going on and why, 9 months after I was told "parity" we still don't have parity. They should be ashamed but clearly they aren't.

Exactly why I hope the lawsuits start piling up as a slap in the face to stop taking advantage of people like us, previous Tesla advocates. Tesla clearly has no desire to be honest with us or ability to deliver on what was sold.

• Love
Reactions: NerdUno
Well, I called Tesla up and started talking to them about whether I should file a lemon law complaint. They of course asked me to hold on and they will now (after over a month) finally forward my images and information to someone in service.

@JonMc -- please. Everything @croman says above.
Received the following voicemail from Tesla today. Not sure what to make of it.

FullSizeRender 8.jpg

:eek:

:p

• Funny
Reactions: _jal_
No, it's up to Tesla to push the update to you. Make sure you have a good WIFI signal where you park overnight. Plenty of info on this forum: do a search.
Joe,

I have a wireless repeater in the garage and get 4 out of 4 bars signal on WiFi. I stopped at the San Rafael, CA Service and was told Tesla does not send the "minor" updates to all cars only the major updates.
Seems to be a corporate decision since the ability to send 100,000 updates daily is a rather minor task for a large technology company. After all Apple and especially Microsoft do it on a regular basis. Microsoft does three or four hundred thousand of them when they update the Win10 beta group every 10 days or so and millions when they release a new public version of Windows every six months.

Joe,

I have a wireless repeater in the garage and get 4 out of 4 bars signal on WiFi. I stopped at the San Rafael, CA Service and was told Tesla does not send the "minor" updates to all cars only the major updates.
Seems to be a corporate decision since the ability to send 100,000 updates daily is a rather minor task for a large technology company. After all Apple and especially Microsoft do it on a regular basis. Microsoft does three or four hundred thousand of them when they update the Win10 beta group every 10 days or so and millions when they release a new public version of Windows every six months.
This is actually way different that MS sending out updates. If they released it to 100k cars and had an issue with even 1% their support cent would be overrun and be a huge customer sat issue. Slow role and limited releases of interim code bases is exactly the right way to do this. What they should add is the ability for people to sign up for early code roles and from that list take a sampling of cars that meet the needs from that list and role to them.

This is actually way different that MS sending out updates. If they released it to 100k cars and had an issue with even 1% their support cent would be overrun and be a huge customer sat issue. Slow role and limited releases of interim code bases is exactly the right way to do this. What they should add is the ability for people to sign up for early code roles and from that list take a sampling of cars that meet the needs from that list and role to them.

Not a bad idea, but in my personal opinion doing small incremental update would prove beneficial to the company and the customers.
At the present time the Enhanced Autopilot would probably rank no higher than 6 or 7 on the Cooper-harper scale of aircraft controllability and in my opinion rank closer to 6 than 7

6 being Very objectionable, but tolerable deficiencies --- Adequate performance requires extensive pilot compensation
7 being Major deficiencies -- Adequate performance not attainable with maximum tolerable pilot compensation Controllability not in question

I my judgement the EAP to get to the FSD level would have to be at a minimum 2 on the Harper-Cooper Scale which is:
Good, negligible deficiencies -- Pilot compensation not a factor for desired performance

to be successful it should be an 1 which is Excellent, highly desirable -- Pilot compensation not a factor for desired performance.

You get there by making incremental improvement and feedback from the test engineers or this case the current Tesla users!!

Reactions: pilotSteve