Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So Tired of Curb Rash!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting so tired of curb rash on my Model 3. I've never had curb rash on any other vehicle that I've ever had, to this extent. This is because Tesla uses tires that are flush with the rims. They need beefier tires to protect the rims from curb rash. If not that then how about sensors that detect a curb near the wheels and stop the car before the damage is done.
In California...find someone else to blame. Next we'll hear about a class action lawsuit.

I scraped my rims a good bit before our cars started automatically lowering the rear view mirror angle in reverse, also I'm more aware of the position of the wheels now. It's not too expensive to get the rims corrected.

The fold down mirrors and cameras don't prevent curb rash on the front wheels.

The foolproof solution is to reverse park to get the rear wheels close to the kerb using the mirrors and then steer full lock forward toward the kerb until the front of the tyre brushes the kerb (rather than the rim). Then reverse back a couple of inches and straighten the wheel. Works every time with zero chance of damage.

Last edited:
There's a difference between blaming the car & acknowledging that this car is more susceptible to curb rash than most.

I'm beating off a dead horse here - but the car is large, with an extremely fast steering ratio (might be the fastest I've ever driven), with a tire that's relatively narrow for its rim width.

The wheels are also relatively inset to the body. Even w/ auto-tilt, you have to lift up off the seat to see the wheel when parallel parking - at least I do. Much easier to see with my summer 19 x 9.5s.

I've curbed mine 2x - but moving forward, cutting around curbs too early. It's the price you have to pay for hitting dat apex during your morning Time Attack.

Agree with OP. You can’t go through a car wash that has wheel tracks without damaging the rims. And visibility is definitely a weak point of the car.

You also can’t go through one of those car washes without damaging your paint, as they’re all either they spinning brush or slapping rag type. Maybe with full PPF.

As for curb rash, I’ve only done that once in the 3, and that was at the drive-through, trying to get close to the window with a dark curb that stuck out unusually far.

Tesla likes to use a slightly stretched tire setup, which provides for a stiffer sidewall and more precise handling and feel. I feel this pairs particularly well with the fast steering ratio. The downside is vulnerable wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Let's Drive
You also can’t go through one of those car washes without damaging your paint, as they’re all either they spinning brush or slapping rag type. Maybe with full PPF.

There’s a touchless one near me that annoyingly has a wheel track. Screwed my wheel up once (there’s no way not to as the track is narrower than the wheel then expands). Haven’t gone back. Annoying.

• Informative
Reactions: bedoig and Big Earl
  • Funny
Reactions: hellocar
Getting so tired of curb rash on my Model 3. I've never had curb rash on any other vehicle that I've ever had, to this extent. This is because Tesla uses tires that are flush with the rims. They need beefier tires to protect the rims from curb rash. If not that then how about sensors that detect a curb near the wheels and stop the car before the damage is done.

Learn to drive

I think I may have the answer why the Tesla doesn't have proper wheel protection: the wheels are wider than they need to be, which is very surprising, given they detract from efficiency. The car I traded for the Tesla had the exact same tires (MXM4 235/45/18s), with the exception of the 'T1' version, but as far as I know, the only difference is in the compound. The issue is my previous car had 7.5" wide wheels, and the Tesla's are 8.5".

Well, two options for those of us who are not perfect drivers (there's a third - use all available technology including your eyes).
1) you can get a paint (from Amazon) that can paint over the curb rash. Not perfect, but close repair
2) you can put on Rimsavers (or the equivalent) that provides an additional layer.
In full disclosure, I have hit the curb.

Last edited:
I think I may have the answer why the Tesla doesn't have proper wheel protection: the wheels are wider than they need to be, which is very surprising, given they detract from efficiency. The car I traded for the Tesla had the exact same tires (MXM4 235/45/18s), with the exception of the 'T1' version, but as far as I know, the only difference is in the compound. The issue is my previous car had 7.5" wide wheels, and the Tesla's are 8.5".

The new model 3 performance has wider wheels (9")but the same width tyres as previously, so it a) looks a bit silly and b) makes it even easier to kerb the wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.