Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So What Do We Think Of The Polestar 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Volvo’s BLIS and PilotAssist have been on their XC, V and S ranges for several years now. They are exceptional systems.

Whilst they lack the ability to be updated further, they all work, in a way that works for drivers - not in a way that a couple of software developers have interpreted they should work.

Once Tesla can get their systems to the usability and reliability of Volvos, then build their fancy malarkey on top - then they will be properly credible.

I’ve used Radar cruise and “basic” blind spot systems in cars for the last 4 years and they all worked pretty much flawlessly, other than my VW Passat which phantom braked upon sight of low-slung trailers.

When it really comes down to it however, and have been reading further replies to this since last replying - the charging network thing still wins out, even if it means less relaxing time on TACC and missing blind spot indicators in mirrors (although that is a step backwards from Tesla) - as it ultimately comes down to ease of getting from A to B.

The drug of fuel is the key to all of this - if you control the drug you get more users hooked and prepared to feel a bit skanky when they can get an easy hit.

Hopefully we see big-time improvements in Tesla doing the basics better and then over time we forget that other folks did it better before.

• Informative
Reactions: bitmanEV and Arran
I would be less concerned about the speed difference than whether the chargers work at all! You can turn up at a Supercharger on a low percentage and know you are going to get a charge. With any other brand you need to turn up with enough left to find another charger if that one doesn't work. I'm just going by Zapmap feedback, I have no direct experience ... I've got a Tesla! ;)

On my short drive from Solihull to Crawley (West Sussex) with the Leaf I had 4 Rapid Chargers not working; 2 Ecotricity and 2 Polar...

Reactions: EVMeister
Well, in the context of my post - I meant a car with a quality interior - unlike the M3, and certainly the e-Up.
Have not seen the e-up! but the mother in law has a standard up! and it has a lovely interior. All you would need.

There does some to be a line being down between the small range city cars and the "proper" cars in the EV world. That line is at the M3/Polestar level. Below it are the leafs (leaves?) and Zoe's of this world. Sadly those guys just don't have practical range for long distance travel. Unlike their ICE equivalents which are more than capable, if not that comfortable, for long journeys.

Reactions: Cogarch
I've just seen some Polestar reviews and ... i mean it's not bad looking (if you like the current Volvo designs) and it's got good range, but only android auto bleugh i'd rather have a good own version of software ala Tesla or have apple carplay, the lack of a supercharger network was one reason i didn't go for a/n other EV brand for my primary car (was considering an ipace) i think in three years time (for my next EV) i'll be able to shop around a bit more but may stick with what I know and maybe get a MY. For our second motor we're looking (I say 'we' my wife ain't bothered too much) at a Mazda MX-30, won't be for 18 months but by then some real world reviews will be out so we'll see.

I've just seen some Polestar reviews and ... i mean it's not bad looking (if you like the current Volvo designs) and it's got good range, but only android auto bleugh i'd rather have a good own version of software ala Tesla or have apple carplay, the lack of a supercharger network was one reason i didn't go for a/n other EV brand for my primary car (was considering an ipace) i think in three years time (for my next EV) i'll be able to shop around a bit more but may stick with what I know and maybe get a MY. For our second motor we're looking (I say 'we' my wife ain't bothered too much) at a Mazda MX-30, won't be for 18 months but by then some real world reviews will be out so we'll see.
The "android auto" thing is just silly. I wonder what it is with people who have apple always wanting priority for their own device over others? It's a really strange thing that doesn't happen the other way round. NO ONE with an android phone would bat an eyelid if apple car play was the only thing available.

Also If I was putting a mobile OS in my car and could only chose one: Surely it's great business sense to put the one with 75% of the market share? It may not be "fashionable" or whatever "lifestyle" reasons people with apple prefer apple but it is MUCH more prevalent.

Reactions: Bernard_S
Btw, I imagine the technical reason for choosing Android over apple is that it's open source. Meaning those fiendish Chinese swedes can adapt the software much easier for their car and develop integrated apps. It's better to have that freedom than to develop everything to the apple SDK.

Personally, I'm not happy that I'm going to lose android auto when my M3 arrives as I use it daily. The tesla proprietary software looks alright though. I will miss pocket casts and I REALLY will miss waze, but as I can still use tune in and Spotify that's fine by me.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr K O’Watt
Advanced?

Don't knock Volvo....Please? Their quality is second to none and yes I have owned many BMW, Mercs and Jags. Tesla has only one advantage - supercharger network plus the 0-60 gimmick.
The aesthetic design and build quality is appalling and the tech on my M3P- is not a patch on my Volvo V40 which drives a lot better on autopilot than my Tesla. Both are capable of 1 pedal driving but the Volvo does not suffer from phantom braking and other such quirks.
They are both old men's cars but so are Ferrari, Porche, Mclaren and Astons. Its all a question of purchasing power.

I mean they couldn't have had CarPlay as the core OS anyway. As it is Google have Android Automotive which is a build of Android that is designed to plug in to the car and have the relevant APIs to control car features, even then it's simply a base OS Polestar have to make the UI as far as I can tell.

Apple CarPlay is simply an service that connects to the touchscreen/button APIs provided by the cars operating system, it doesn't have access to the cars base functions, same with Android Auto (the phone version).

Personally I'd rather not have Google as the OS, but if the Play Store eventually offers apps like Netflix, Apple Music and PlexAmp it perhaps doesn't really matter from a feature perspective, privacy though...

Reactions: roadcred
Volvo’s BLIS and PilotAssist have been on their XC, V and S ranges for several years now. They are exceptional systems.

Whilst they lack the ability to be updated further, they all work, in a way that works for drivers - not in a way that a couple of software developers have interpreted they should work.

Once Tesla can get their systems to the usability and reliability of Volvos, then build their fancy malarkey on top - then they will be properly credible.

I’ve used Radar cruise and “basic” blind spot systems in cars for the last 4 years and they all worked pretty much flawlessly, other than my VW Passat which phantom braked upon sight of low-slung trailers.

When it really comes down to it however, and have been reading further replies to this since last replying - the charging network thing still wins out, even if it means less relaxing time on TACC and missing blind spot indicators in mirrors (although that is a step backwards from Tesla) - as it ultimately comes down to ease of getting from A to B.

The drug of fuel is the key to all of this - if you control the drug you get more users hooked and prepared to feel a bit skanky when they can get an easy hit.

Hopefully we see big-time improvements in Tesla doing the basics better and then over time we forget that other folks did it better before.
I agree. It is my opinion that Teslas AP system is overcomplicated and is probably the worst on the market. Oh that they had adopted Volvos designs!

we're looking (I say 'we' my wife ain't bothered too much)
Full marks for candour! It is wonderful how indulgent/detached about our EV hobby the people to whom we are married so often seem to be...

There seems to be a general view that they are neither engaged or even particularly bothered what EV is bought for them, leaving the field clear for the husband to entertain himself with choosing the ideal second EV... It often strikes me how common the statement is "I need to get a (insert runaround EV here) for the wife"!

• Funny
Reactions: roadcred
Full marks for candour! It is wonderful how indulgent/detached about our EV hobby the people to whom we are married so often seem to be...

There seems to be a general view that they are neither engaged or even particularly bothered what EV is bought for them, leaving the field clear for the husband to entertain himself with choosing the ideal second EV... It often strikes me how common the statement is "I need to get a (insert runaround EV here) for the wife"!
Honestly I think that when I get the Tesla my wife will ‘get it’ she has her interests and I have mine, ultimately it is her decision, it’s her car in the end! She’s not as obsessed as I am ;)

Reactions: Cogarch
While I was considering the Polestar 2, it seems the decision may have been made for me. Some of the guys over on the Polestar subreddit have put together the charging curve at Ionity at 150kwh. Not looking too great..
nbvxMieJL218PS7Dvgjm1Gdp5Ktq6JzSPuHt88R7Dig.png