Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can confirm that from my perspective this is a significant, generational upgrade for AP2.

Using the gaming console analogy, if the earliest releases were 8-bit, and we've progressed through 16 and 32-bit consoles over the last year, this is the first 64-bit release IMO. Best way I can put it is that as a passenger, if you closed your eyes in any prior AP release, you could "feel" that it wasn't a human driving. Almost all of that is gone in this release. Vehicles ahead seem to be detected much earlier and speed adjustments are more gradual/smooth.

Lane Change: slightly slower (~8 blinker clicks where the prior releases were 7), but much more smooth and less abrupt. More comfortable to the occupants.

I have a few "torture test" areas on my regular commute, this release made a marked difference in all of them:

1) Freeway exit on a curve - There's one exit on my normal drive where the road is sweeping to the left just as the exit opens up. Prior releases would all dive for this exit before correcting, preferring the "straight" path as opposed to the curving freeway. This release mastered it perfectly.

2) One lane splitting into two - one lane gradually widens and expands into two. Prior releases would get confused, ping pong back and forth, and then aggressively swerve into one lane or the other. This release smoothly tracked to the left lane without any hesitation.

3) Two lanes merging into one - left lane ends and merges to the right. In prior releases, car failed to detect this merge, thinking the left lane kept on going - would drive right over the painted line and try to keep its course. Perfect execution in this release.

4) Hump of Death - a brief crest on an otherwise straight, flat, fast section of freeway would cause violent swerving in all prior releases. I considered this a "worst case scenario" for AP as the driver was lulled into a sense of safety and stability from the prior expanse of straight, flat, perfectly tracked roadway. 2018.10.4 handled this perfectly. The handling of these sorts of hills/crests was my largest outstanding gripe with the current state of AP2.

I absolutely agree this is a significant improvement. On the Cooper-Harper Handling Qualities Rating Scale this update moves the Autosteer up the scale from a 8 [Considerable pilot compensation is required for control] to a 6 [Adequate performance requires extensive pilot compensation]. Humps in the road don't have the violent swerving jitter left and right that was so common and the steering control inputs are an order of magnitude smother. I used to use as an example to other pilots that the AutoSteer was like a pre-solo student pilot (jerky control inputs and over controlling) now I would categorize it more like a newly minted private pilot (smoother less drastic control inputs) with a hundred hours or so more experience. It isn't up to the qualified helicopter pilot inputs, but it is much closer and really shows promise with a little more fine tuning.

I only had time for a short test drive, but the phantom slowdowns are greatly reduced and taking curves at speed are tolerable now whereas before it was a series of jerky steering wheel actions

Ernie
2017 90D AP2

I am assuming the "phone as key" option provides for some sort of Bluetooth connectivity so your phone works exactly like the fob without having to log into the app to unlock and start the car?

In any case, I decided this morning to start using my phone instead of my fob for my weekday commutes. Having to enter a password in the app each time to start the car isn't so bad - at least not yet.

As far as this latest update, I did not see any differences with EAP on my hour-long commute this morning. 95% was highway. It still wanted to exit off a ramp to the left that was closed off. I pulled it back into the proper lane after it began searching for a lane line on the left. AP should not take an exit if there is no input from me to do so. (this was a construction zone however workers were not present)

Lane line disappears:
View attachment 286644
Car begins to straddle left lane line:
View attachment 286645
You can use touch ID with Tesla's app so no need to introduce the password! or alternatively use my app with Touchid unlock and start: Key for Tesla on the App Store

I'm loving me some 2018.10.4 too!

It would be awesome if someone who has access to AP1 and AP2 could do a comparison on the same roads now. Would be great to have solid evidence that definitely answers the question: Has AP2 surpassed AP1.

For science!
+1. As someone who owns an AP1 and has driven AP2s multiple times, I'm curious if AP2 is finally on par or exceeded AP1 performance on the same roads.

+1. As someone who owns an AP1 and has driven AP2s multiple times, I'm curious if AP2 is finally on par or exceeded AP1 performance on the same roads.
I do, yes. Only difference is S is on 1 and it’s an X on 2. I now, for the first time, feel 2 has surpassed 1 in all daily driving ability based on drives I’ve done since 10.4.

Noob question: will Model 3 eventually get this update? Are AP 2.0 firmware updates universal, or will the M3 get a slightly different version due to the differences in AP hardware?
What difference in hardware? 3’s should have AP2.5. They should get the same software when a version is produced that has the GUI updates for the car. That should be the only reason they even have a different version at all right now. (Yes, the AP computer is water cooled, but that doesn’t mean the software is different. The cameras are the same.)

If there’s any other reason for ‘differences’ between the current S and X and the 3, someone please straighten me out.

Reactions: croman and Xtek
What difference in hardware? 3’s should have AP2.5. They should get the same software when a version is produced that has the GUI updates for the car. That should be the only reason they even have a different version at all right now. (Yes, the AP computer is water cooled, but that doesn’t mean the software is different. The cameras are the same.)

If there’s any other reason for ‘differences’ between the current S and X and the 3, someone please straighten me out.

I would assume it would. However, it looks like the S/X and 3 are on different forks of code and release cycles. Doesn't mean the AP code isn't shraed just that they have diverged at some point.