Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else having issues with the autowipers in 10.4?

I got to test them this morning, and they seemed to work well only sporadically. Before 10.4 they worked, but didn't engage as often as I would like them to.
This morning, there was a period where they didn't start at all, even though I couldn't see anything through the windshield. 30 sec later it seemed like it "woke up" and started wiping again. 30 sec later, windshield completely covered in water, no reaction.

Had to turn them into manual mode for the rest of the drive.

I seem to recall a earlier post, with someone saying autowipers had been vastly improved, doesn't seem that way to me. What is your experience?

No such problems in Seattle yesterday and today. Worked flawlessly so that I never even thought about it.

Reactions: Mobius484
I don't want to rifle through the last 34 pages but for those with the premium sound system, have you noticed a deterioration in sound quality since the update, specifically the loss of bass and overall volume? Sounds tinny now.
I actually found the old bass was absurdly boosted in an attempt to give a nice popular consumer sound. It was fine for bass heavy rock, electronic music, pop etc. but was totally unnatural and out of place on acoustic instruments and classical. It's now far more natural. You can't really have it both ways I'm afraid.

I got to test them this morning, and they seemed to work well only sporadically. Before 10.4 they worked, but didn't engage as often as I would like them to.
This morning, there was a period where they didn't start at all, even though I couldn't see anything through the windshield. 30 sec later it seemed like it "woke up" and started wiping again. 30 sec later, windshield completely covered in water, no reaction.

I seem to recall a earlier post, with someone saying autowipers had been vastly improved, doesn't seem that way to me. What is your experience?

You're not alone. Auto wipers used to work pretty well for me, but now they don't wipe in intermittent mode until quite a lot of water is on the windshield. Not great for the light rain we've been having recently. Not completely unusable, but I find myself either (a) pushing the button for a manual wipe in intermittent mode, or (b) moving to constant wiper mode which wipes a bit too much.

You're not alone. Auto wipers used to work pretty well for me, but now they don't wipe in intermittent mode until quite a lot of water is on the windshield. Not great for the light rain we've been having recently. Not completely unusable, but I find myself either (a) pushing the button for a manual wipe in intermittent mode, or (b) moving to constant wiper mode which wipes a bit too much.

Are you having problems with both auto wiper settings?

Certainly no "vast improvement" here with autowipers. And I'm almost certain that they worked better before *.10.4 during the all of 2 or 3 times we had rain this past month. For a setting (#2) that's supposed to clear away "fine mist", yeah, it doesn't do that.

Now in a downpour, the wipers function. As one would expect. But the improvement was supposed to be, in part, with regard to sensitivity - not seeing that at all. Hopefully this, too, will improve and not become another great idea that didn't quite get there relative to already existing previously-released solutions (see again, AP1 cars).

Certainly no "vast improvement" here with autowipers. And I'm almost certain that they worked better before *.10.4 during the all of 2 or 3 times we had rain this past month. For a setting (#2) that's supposed to clear away "fine mist", yeah, it doesn't do that.

Now in a downpour, the wipers function. As one would expect. But the improvement was supposed to be, in part, with regard to sensitivity - not seeing that at all.

Nice to know I’m not alone in this. I know it’s in beta, but it’s always a bit disappointing when regression shows up.

I’m having problems with both settings, none of then seem to detect spray from the road, even if it covers the windshield to an extent where I can no longer see the roads.

Wipers were working fine during the day today (raining here in Southern California) except when they first start they go crazy with rapid wiping and then slow down to a more normal operation. However at night is another story. They wouldn't come on and do anything for quite a while, 45minutes or so, then suddenly started working normally, then quit again. No rhyme or reason. Even with heavier rain and oncoming traffic illuminating the windshield..nothing..nada. Manual worked ok. I tried both auto positions and it didn't make any difference.

On another note I took friends to pick up their new S with MCU2, looked really nice. They went to drive it home and no wipers, neither auto nor manual would work. Tesla tried to do a factory reset and the car wouldn't do a reset either. It had 2018.10.2 software. They thought it might be a fuse but apparently decided to keep the car and provide them a loaner. Needless to say they were dissapointed. Tesla QA should have caught this (especially since it has been raining all day and their pick up appointment wasn't until 6:00pm.

My AP2.5 75D is going to the SC next week due to Driver Assisstance errors. Twice in the past 3 days I have not been able to use any of the tools I've gotten used to. This reminds me of 2017.40?? or was it 2017.48.... all I know is random MCU reboots, assisstance features not available, and 2018.10.4 looks like a bad version to me.

Yes. On intermittent, it's much too infrequent (more so than before 10.4. On slow-constant, it's too frequent; doesn't seem to pick up that slight drizzle doesn't need the same frequent wipes.

Idle speculation: whatever the AP2 upgrade did to see cars further into the distance, may have thrown rain detection out of whack. Anyone who knows more about f-stops and focal distance than me could support or refute this theory.

Idle speculation: whatever the AP2 upgrade did to see cars further into the distance, may have thrown rain detection out of whack. Anyone who knows more about f-stops and focal distance than me could support or refute this theory.

Might have already been mentioned and I just didn't see it, but it seems that there were some non-trivial changes in 10.4 to the fisheye_wiper network, based on analysis by @jimmy_d Neural Networks. Might be causing the poor behavior, for now. Guessing it will improve in future versions.

I had the same experience with the wipers. They worked sporadically. I was driving and did not switch to manual, but had to play with the buttons.

So far I am liking the updates in terms of autopilot.

- The car stays in the center on curves, it was getting close to lines previously.
- Does not 'hunt' when enabled initially.
- Lane changes are much smoother, and it does not jump back to into the lane as often (happened only once).

On the other hand, the new software hesitates when I am about to drive under a bridge.

Also, I've had multiple MCU resets at the worst times. Driving in snow on a cold cold morning. Climate control and rear view camera are critical during these conditions. It also happened once this morning when I was parking my car in reverse. Also not a good feeling when you rely on the camera so much.

Overall it is more predictable and hence makes you more comfortable. I am enjoying my drives a lot more :)

I did some testing today to check to see what cameras are working on my Model S. I found if I cover the right front camera then the car does not see the lanes at all and won't auto-steer. If the right front camera is uncovered and the center and left front cameras are covered and all four pillar cameras are covered then the car sees the lanes and drives just fine. So I can definitely say that my car is only using the right front camera not any of the others for self-driving.

I did some testing today to check to see what cameras are working on my Model S. I found if I cover the right front camera then the car does not see the lanes at all and won't auto-steer. If the right front camera is uncovered and the center and left front cameras are covered and all four pillar cameras are covered then the car sees the lanes and drives just fine. So I can definitely say that my car is only using the right front camera not any of the others for self-driving.

Sure that could be the case, but it could also be that the system works fine with just that one camera - but works better with 2 and even better with 3 etc.

Reactions: jrad6515
I didn't notice any improvement when I uncovered the other cameras. It wouldn't drive at all if the right front was covered but drove great if it was uncovered, even with all the other cameras covered. I even covered only the left half of the right front camera so it could see the right lane line but not the left lane line and it would drive ok. When I covered the right half and uncovered the left half, it had a hard time, even with all the other cameras uncovered. I don't think any other cameras are helping drive yet.

• Informative
Reactions: daktari
I didn't notice any improvement when I uncovered the other cameras. It wouldn't drive at all if the right front was covered but drove great if it was uncovered, even with all the other cameras covered. I even covered only the left half of the right front camera so it could see the right lane line but not the left lane line and it would drive ok. When I covered the right half and uncovered the left half, it had a hard time, even with all the other cameras uncovered. I don't think any other cameras are helping drive yet.

Thank you for taking the time to test this and share with us.
It would be interesting to see if there are any noticeable differences when doing automatic lane changes when the side repeater cameras are covered.