Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I took 10.4 a few laps around highway 17 between Los Gatos and Santa Cruz..

I did hw17 both ways today at 60mph. It did great..
Sorry, but no way you drove 17 at 60 on AP the whole way, both ways, no way!

I grew up in Los Gatos. I drove Hwy 17 last week for gabillienth time (in a Challenger), during which we came to a dead stop for 30 minutes because some yahoo spun out on one of those lovely northbound curves after Summit Road. That drive still freaks me out after 45 years of driving it. You don't do anything on that road except drive, no smoking, no texting, no nothing, both hands on the wheel! Respectfully, both you guys are at the very least insanely brave (there are other words as well) to even attempt AP on that road. You are driving 9 inches from the center concrete divider the whole way. There is no to time or room recover from an AP misstep, and the jerkiness experienced when manually disengaging from AP would be enough to send you into the divider.

Looks like I'm gonna have a chance for a service center update to the latest version! IMG_3109667121521433914.jpg

Sorry, but no way you drove 17 at 60 on AP the whole way, both ways, no way!

I grew up in Los Gatos. I drove Hwy 17 last week for gabillienth time (in a Challenger), during which we came to a dead stop for 30 minutes because some yahoo spun out on one of those lovely northbound curves after Summit Road. That drive still freaks me out after 45 years of driving it. You don't do anything on that road except drive, no smoking, no texting, no nothing, both hands on the wheel! Respectfully, both you guys are at the very least insanely brave (there are other words as well) to even attempt AP on that road. You are driving 9 inches from the center concrete divider the whole way. There is no to time or room recover from an AP misstep, and the jerkiness experienced when manually disengaging from AP would be enough to send you into the divider.

Haha I guess I'll have to pull out TeslaFi logs for it then. But before this I had an A4 S-line with 19" max performance tires. If there's not crazy traffic, 60 is well within my comfort zone for most of those curves.

In terms of AP, it's pretty easy to brace the wheel at the limits of how far you want it to steer towards a divider (e.g. push the wheel in the other direction). If AP ever wants to steer in the wrong direction, it immediately disengages and comes back to my control. If anything, my testing style would be pessimistic to Autopilot — for each of my disengagements, maybe AP wouldv'e crashed, maybe it wouldn't. But I'm not going to volunteer to find out.

I love driving that route. AP or not, it's a good test for most cars. Skyline is a 2nd favorite for me but it takes so much more effort to get there (and there's a much higher risk for something major going wrong during inclement weather — once I was trapped there for 2 hours during freezing rain because a downed power line blocked the only feeder road within an hour radius I knew for getting me back to South Bay)

Anyone have reports on driving carpool lanes in California? Until now, has gone dangerously close to center divider!
It seems to do well on our NorCal express lanes and even understands it can't lane change across double-solid lines.

But your SoCal ones definitely look way different than ours, so I'll defer to someone else's expertise there.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Yes, I have driven the 91/55 car pool lanes and there are many stretches where there is only the divider wall and no shoulder (yellow stripe is inches from the wall). With the prior release I had to be in control as the car favored the left side so much that there wouldn't have been time to correct if AP made an error. This was especially true on right turns. With the new AP 2018.10.4 it keeps the car better centered in the lane, steering is more steady with only small changes and it has handled it so well that I am starting to trust it to do a better job than I can do. It still slightly favors the left of center but not trying to put it on the yellow line like before.

• Informative
Reactions: chillaban
Thanks guys! Now has anyone noticed if AP2 will now move over to make room for a motorcycle that’s splitting lanes on the freeway, such as riding the double yellow lines between the regular and HOV lanes?
Can't say I've noticed that but it hasn't happened to me yet. On the other hand, I have had it move over when there's been a massive truck in the next lane lighting up all my ultrasonic sensors; it did appear to be intentional with it moving back to the centre after passing the truck. Of course the ultrasonic sensors don't respond that fast so I've only seen it when there's only been a small differential in our speeds.

Can't say I've noticed that but it hasn't happened to me yet. On the other hand, I have had it move over when there's been a massive truck in the next lane lighting up all my ultrasonic sensors; it did appear to be intentional with it moving back to the centre after passing the truck. Of course the ultrasonic sensors don't respond that fast so I've only seen it when there's only been a small differential in our speeds.
Ap1 here. The ultrasonics go off a little bit before cars parked on the side of the road, the car moves over, then passes, and returns to center... I caught it on video...

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Has anyone had trouble getting the trunk/frunk to open with either version 3.3.2 or 3.3.3 of the app? It hasn't worked for me. I've rebooted after upgrading to 2018.10.4 from a prior version that did not support the app functionality but that didn't fix it.

Edit: Samsung S7 running Android version 7.0

Has anyone had trouble getting the trunk/frunk to open with either version 3.3.2 or 3.3.3 of the app? It hasn't worked for me. I've rebooted after upgrading to 2018.10.4 from a prior version that did not support the app functionality but that didn't fix it.
Log out and in on the app? I’ve tested both today and they work fine for me.

Here’s the video:

The ultra sonics go off well before I reach the parked car, the car moves over to pass, then returns to the center lane. This is the AP1 car.

With this latest update, I've noticed that even guardrails such as these that widen towards your lane sets off ultra sonics and make the car move away from it even if AP is not activated. This never happened to me before.
Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 9.34.11 PM.png

I have an AP1 and AP2 car that have both done this for awhile now. Usually it’s when going through narrow tolls. It also beeps.

Can’t speak to narrow tolls, but on the freeway when there’s a truck or even just a regular car that is hugging the divider line, my AP2 car has always been pretty oblivious of the ultrasonics and maintains the center of my lane even if it is very uncomfortable/nerve wracking while simultaneously the ultrasonics are flashing yellow (or maybe even red) ‘fans’.

It had always appeared that AutoPilot was ignoring the ultrasonics. Display would show ultrasonics going crazy, but AP was like, “I don’t care! I’m keeping centered in the lane!”

Haven’t driven with 2018.10.4 yet, but if AP(2) will now properly incorporate the input from the ultrasonics and “hedge” left or right on the freeway when adjacent cars or trucks hug the lane lines, that would be a huge improvement.

Haven’t driven with 2018.10.4 yet, but if AP(2) will now properly incorporate the input from the ultrasonics and “hedge” left or right on the freeway when adjacent cars or trucks hug the lane lines, that would be a huge improvement.
Alas I've had it happen on previous iterations too; it hasn't been the domain of the latest version only for me which means that if it hasn't worked for you till now, then it probably still won't.