Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone else seeing a big improvement in the Auto headlights as well as the AP2 goodness.
(will still freak out a bit for chevrons at a corner though, which they do need to dial out as this is exactly when you dont want your lights to dip)

I'm even wondering if the browser seems faster too, not sure if that might just be wishful thinking though.

I'll give the auto headlights a try. I've basically left them deactivated since they finally made them available because they were useless. I was constantly flashing people with my highbeams or they were turning on and off so often it was annoying.

Reactions: eager0
Someone reported that the 10.4 update is on hold. Did Tesla resume the push?
There was one report that Tesla told someone that because of MCU disconnection issues. We should have known better as, as usual, it wasn’t confirmed (not doubting the source, just Tesla) and it has continued to roll out at a slower pace. 30-50 a day.

On the sound system change from 12 to 8, been noted several times and one answer is supposed to be raise your zero sound level some. My hearing isn’t good enough to verify that and there are a lot of varying responses to this also. Not sure why this change was made. Was it never 12, was a total range of 24 wearing things out (hard to believe)? I’m sure there’s a thread on this point somewhere. :D

Reactions: eager0
Someone reported that the 10.4 update is on hold. Did Tesla resume the push?

10.4 is not on hold, it's the MCU2 firmwares that are on hold for the display issue with the IC, probably lending credence to the theory the IC is also changed with the new MCU2 to just a simple display terminal now. But 10.4 is still going around from Tesla if you have MCU1 let's call it.

10.4 is not on hold, it's the MCU2 firmwares that are on hold for the display issue with the IC, probably lending credence to the theory the IC is also changed with the new MCU2 to just a simple display terminal now. But 10.4 is still going around from Tesla if you have MCU1 let's call it.

Thanks! I guess it’s time to get back into the car with a mobile hotspot and monitor the data usage. The update failed to install for me at first.

In regards to 2018.10.4 has anyone seen any performance improvement in the browers? Apparently the cars with MCU2 has a slightly different browser, I am just wondering if there is any trace of a new browser coming for those with MCU1.
I just find it strange that they didn't include the new browser in this release....

In regards to 2018.10.4 has anyone seen any performance improvement in the browers? Apparently the cars with MCU2 has a slightly different browser, I am just wondering if there is any trace of a new browser coming for those with MCU1.
I just find it strange that they didn't include the new browser in this release....

There is no browser / webkit changes with 10.4, sorry your stuck with the old browser and based on what @verygreen found in the code, it might never change, except for MCU2 they are going to get some snappiness.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Hello everyone,
I apologize that I cannot read through 32 pages of thread. I am wondering if at some point, in either this or a previous update, that steering auto-assist limitation of 5 MPH over the speed limit on a non-divided road changed? I just returned from a round-trip from LA to Mammoth along the 14 and 395, and had no limitation on single lane, non-divided roads, where I always did in the past. It made the drive really wonderful and relaxing. It did alert me one time only, on the way up, but not on the way back. Not once.

• Informative
@MelaniainLA I drive the 405 from Santa Clarita to Culver City and back every day. I have watched changes in AP2 with almost every update, some good, some bad. In fact, no update has ever been completely on the good side. The HOV lane behavior has become my benchmark for AP2 progress. After reading pages of glowing reviews of AP2 improvements for the last week, I was hoping for a fantastic improvement, and no backsliding. I finally got 2018.10.4 last night, and tried it today on my route, both in the HOV lane, and in regular traffic.

Well, unfortunately, the pattern continues for me - some good, some bad. AP2 definitely seems much "silkier" in regular lanes, and seems to maintain a relatively centered position, which is what I always hope for. Lane changes are excellent, too - although I thought they were fine before. 2018.6.1 had the biggest regression in AP2 HOV lane behavior, IMO, and made it almost unusable unless I was in regular traffic lanes, and in that regard 2018.10.1 is much better.In fact, at one of the most consistent spots for AP2 to disengage for me - the northbound 405 HOV lane as it goes under the 101 - AP2 remained successfully engaged, much to my surprise. But it still tried to hug the left side of the lane, dangerously close to the median, and frequently tugs left and disengages. It seems to try and pin me between the median and the asphalt expansion line, instead of the lane marker, whenever they run parallel (which is for most of the HOV lane in both directions) It had more false braking events than I've experienced in a long time (almost forgot about them), which is still a very dangerous issue when being closely followed by traffic at higher speeds. And when driving at <10mph, AP2 ping-ponged in an exaggerated fashion all over the lane, almost like a CHP traffic diversion. This is something I never experienced on any previous update. That was very frustrating as AP2 is usually my best friend in very slow traffic (every day on my commute), allowing my legs a little respite from the cramps of stop and go driving.

I'm hopeful this is the beginning of new set of algorithms / neural net design by a new team coding for AP2, and if so, bravo for the good start. But if this was just another attempt at forward progress, I have to say I'm disappointed that we still cannot get minor AP2 progress without some significant AP2 digression every time.

As for other changes - Trunk / Frunk remote control works fine (although I see no need for it - I'd rather be able to operate the windows remotely like my Volt does). TACC seems to work as well as before, maybe a little smother when accelerating, but still waiting too long and braking too hard when it comes time to slow down / stop from higher speeds. The autowipers never came on in either setting during pouring rain on my commute home tonight, until after I exited the freeway and turned the manual wipers back to the auto setting. They seemed to work better before. The only consistent issue with the autowiper function was it activates when I get almost all the way into my garage, and continues until I get out and the car shuts down. I guess it has something to do with light reflection off the wall / shelves / something, but it is definitely not water-related.

So, some good, some not so good, and I go back to waiting for the next update, hoping it will be "the one".
Video would be so helpful. If you do this will you PM me so I don’t miss it? No pressure, but you got me curious

And for all we know, that is what the Tesla employee heard and was trying to say, and it turned into '10.4 is on hold'. Some of them aren't that technical, as we all know. <sigh>

Definitely not on hold. I left on a long road trip without the update Monday (frustrated I didn't get it before going). Connected the car to wifi last night and had the update by morning. Return trip will be with 10.4. Excited to see the comparison, because a section of rolling hills caused havoc with autopilot on the trip out.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Are they tying in the HD car maps for Autonomous driving? The system seems to be adapting. I have a stretch of local road that has been challenging for AP2. Parts are just different colored cement with curbs, a parking lane and no lines.
After get 10.4 I tried it and auto steer would not engage until the pained lines on the road showed up. Drove the same stretch this early am and then a little latter and it let's me engage auto steer right away. And it drives it well.

So cool new observation this morning that I don't recall every happening before...

Was driving straight at about 50MPH (45MPH zone) and a car made a left turn into a shopping center in front of me. It's wasnt super close, but close enough to where my car applied the brakes and an alert went off (same alert of when youre approaching someone from behind too quickly)...so basically cross traffic alert. First time I've experienced that, not sure if its new in this release or not, I seem to recall that feature was introduced some time back but Ive never actually seen it work.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
So cool new observation this morning that I don't recall every happening before...

Was driving straight at about 50MPH (45MPH zone) and a car made a left turn into a shopping center in front of me. It's wasnt super close, but close enough to where my car applied the brakes and an alert went off (same alert of when youre approaching someone from behind too quickly)...so basically cross traffic alert. First time I've experienced that, not sure if its new in this release or not, I seem to recall that feature was introduced some time back but Ive never actually seen it work.

It's this type of scenario where I wish AP can be smoothed out similar to how auto lane change works now. Every time it sees a car in front making a turn or sees a car crossing way out in front of you, it slows the car too dramatically and I hear the juddering noise which I think may be the brakes being applied. This is more noticeable the faster you're going. It's gotten to the point where when I see the car in front making a turn, I deactivate AP so that the car behind me doesn't get annoyed by my aggressive braking. Not sure if others are also hearing the juddering noise or I should have SC looked at?

It's this type of scenario where I wish AP can be smoothed out similar to how auto lane change works now. Every time it sees a car in front making a turn or sees a car crossing way out in front of you, it slows the car too dramatically and I hear the juddering noise which I think may be the brakes being applied. This is more noticeable the faster you're going. It's gotten to the point where when I see the car in front making a turn, I deactivate AP so that the car behind me doesn't get annoyed by my aggressive braking. Not sure if others are also hearing the juddering noise or I should have SC looked at?

I'm experiencing the same thing. I keep my foot at ready on the accelerator so that I can quickly counteract its overly aggressive braking for cross traffic.

Additionally, hard braking gets me the same "juddering" which I believe to be ABS (Anti-Lock Brakes) kicking in to rapidly cycle the brakes.

Mike

I'm experiencing the same thing. I keep my foot at ready on the accelerator so that I can quickly counteract its overly aggressive braking for cross traffic.

Additionally, hard braking gets me the same "juddering" which I believe to be ABS (Anti-Lock Brakes) kicking in to rapidly cycle the brakes.

Mike
The "juddering" has been discussed at length here: Hard braking with TACC in stop-n-go traffic