Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even though ultrasonics have always flashed in previous update iterations when I approached that guardrail during my daily commute, it would never beep at me. With this update now on AP2, not only do I hear this new warning beep, it also makes the car swerve away from the guardrail even if I was dead center in the lane and don’t have AP activated. I was able to hold the steering wheel firmly to prevent that from happening. It would be worrisome if AP overcorrects and moves me into the next lane potentially putting me into the path of an oncoming car.

Alas I've had it happen on previous iterations too; it hasn't been the domain of the latest version only for me which means that if it hasn't worked for you till now, then it probably still won't.

:(

I hope not. But you might be right. I guess I’ll see soon.

OTOH, I haven’t had “ping ponging” problems for a long time (unlike perhaps some others). My car has been super rock steady center of the lane 99% of the time. But as I mentioned, sometimes you want the car to cheat right or left to avoid getting within a foot of another car that’s hugging the lane line.

Like my wife says, “Always staying in the center of your own lane really only works if everyone else stays in the center of theirs.

Can I get some feedback on my video, I posted last night so may not have hit the peak of TMC, and I don’t want to spam other threads... I’m trying to change my ways. Too long too short? Too much butter? @BigD0g always had good tips. 10.4 is awesome.

Nice! I like the cut aways to the crazy fans. Unexpected but interesting segue to break up the drive just a bit.

I assume the song was added in post? Did you do your own censoring?

Nice! I like the cut aways to the crazy fans. Unexpected but interesting segue to break up the drive just a bit.

I assume the song was added in post? Did you do your own censoring?

No that song was playing the whole time, I keep a running list of songs people want to hear on my playlists for moments like that. How amazing is the fan towards the end?

The too sexy video from a while ago was a song i had to add back in editing along with road noise and autopilot sounds, that sucked. I like this video most because it was fun. If anyone has ideas for me, let me have it... I’m thinking it would be cool to do ludicrous videos of something really weird like grandmas launching in Teslas

Reactions: jrad6515
I just want to add my contribution to this thread topic- the update is all I could have asked for in an incremental update. I’ve noticed the Autopilot is using GPS data to Influence navigating the roads (with major succes/ increased accuracy I might add) and the infotainment is much more stable it seems. I got it to even get on the interstate from a city road (let me enable lane change while I was using AP2 in the city; and it followed the merge lane all the way to the end. The AP “road” display proceeded to get extremely large as the lane widened as well... showing that it’s monitoring a vastly larger area and able to compute more of my surroundings now. Lane changes are also super buttery smooth now and there are no more “ping-pong” in lanes either. I almost want to refrain from updating my vehicle to the next firmware as this current is too good to risk messing up!

Hats off to the AP team. You’ve finally delivered a warm heart to me on an update and I could not be any more impressed. Finding new driving patterns of autopilot every drive now, and enjoying seeing the system track the road much further than before with the addition of GPS road mapping!

But as I mentioned, sometimes you want the car to cheat right or left to avoid getting within a foot of another car that’s hugging the lane line.
Agreed, I've been saying the same thing. Even if the truck next to you is perfectly in their lane, that may not leave you much room at all and when you have no one in the next lane over, sure why not use some of the excess space. Being in the ideal spot is more than just being in the centre of the lane. We all do it subconsciously when driving manually already. Hopefully we'll see more and more AI doing human like things in the future.

Agreed, I've been saying the same thing. Even if the truck next to you is perfectly in their lane, that may not leave you much room at all and when you have no one in the next lane over, sure why not use some of the excess space. Being in the ideal spot is more than just being in the centre of the lane. We all do it subconsciously when driving manually already. Hopefully we'll see more and more AI doing human like things in the future.

Agreed!

anyone else seeing a big improvement in the Auto headlights as well as the AP2 goodness.
(will still freak out a bit for chevrons at a corner though, which they do need to dial out as this is exactly when you dont want your lights to dip)

I'm even wondering if the browser seems faster too, not sure if that might just be wishful thinking though.

Got 10.4 and AP is definitely smoother. Autopark works better.

But what is weird is that "Lane Change" no longer works. Rebooted, checked that the switch is on, but when cruising down an empty freeway, putting on the signal direction does not cause me to change lanes.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Truck lust? Definitely no truck lust with AP2. Just ping pong lust, and that doesn't exist either, anymore.
This is like the biggest improvement in AP2 for me. I drive a lot on I-5 where you’re always passing trucks on a two lane road. AP1 would occasionally take hard dives toward trucks especially if a truck tire runs over the lane markers. That was the voodoo thing we used to argue got better or worse with each update.

On AP2 I’ve never ever seen that happen, and that makes a world of a difference for my day to day driving.

Anyone have reports on driving carpool lanes in California? Until now, has gone dangerously close to center divider!

@MelaniainLA I drive the 405 from Santa Clarita to Culver City and back every day. I have watched changes in AP2 with almost every update, some good, some bad. In fact, no update has ever been completely on the good side. The HOV lane behavior has become my benchmark for AP2 progress. After reading pages of glowing reviews of AP2 improvements for the last week, I was hoping for a fantastic improvement, and no backsliding. I finally got 2018.10.4 last night, and tried it today on my route, both in the HOV lane, and in regular traffic.

Well, unfortunately, the pattern continues for me - some good, some bad. AP2 definitely seems much "silkier" in regular lanes, and seems to maintain a relatively centered position, which is what I always hope for. Lane changes are excellent, too - although I thought they were fine before. 2018.6.1 had the biggest regression in AP2 HOV lane behavior, IMO, and made it almost unusable unless I was in regular traffic lanes, and in that regard 2018.10.1 is much better.In fact, at one of the most consistent spots for AP2 to disengage for me - the northbound 405 HOV lane as it goes under the 101 - AP2 remained successfully engaged, much to my surprise. But it still tried to hug the left side of the lane, dangerously close to the median, and frequently tugs left and disengages. It seems to try and pin me between the median and the asphalt expansion line, instead of the lane marker, whenever they run parallel (which is for most of the HOV lane in both directions) It had more false braking events than I've experienced in a long time (almost forgot about them), which is still a very dangerous issue when being closely followed by traffic at higher speeds. And when driving at <10mph, AP2 ping-ponged in an exaggerated fashion all over the lane, almost like a CHP traffic diversion. This is something I never experienced on any previous update. That was very frustrating as AP2 is usually my best friend in very slow traffic (every day on my commute), allowing my legs a little respite from the cramps of stop and go driving.

I'm hopeful this is the beginning of new set of algorithms / neural net design by a new team coding for AP2, and if so, bravo for the good start. But if this was just another attempt at forward progress, I have to say I'm disappointed that we still cannot get minor AP2 progress without some significant AP2 digression every time.

As for other changes - Trunk / Frunk remote control works fine (although I see no need for it - I'd rather be able to operate the windows remotely like my Volt does). TACC seems to work as well as before, maybe a little smother when accelerating, but still waiting too long and braking too hard when it comes time to slow down / stop from higher speeds. The autowipers never came on in either setting during pouring rain on my commute home tonight, until after I exited the freeway and turned the manual wipers back to the auto setting. They seemed to work better before. The only consistent issue with the autowiper function was it activates when I get almost all the way into my garage, and continues until I get out and the car shuts down. I guess it has something to do with light reflection off the wall / shelves / something, but it is definitely not water-related.

So, some good, some not so good, and I go back to waiting for the next update, hoping it will be "the one".

Yep. This 10.4 update is a step forward and a step back, like so many other updates - well-received or otherwise.

Step forward:

Continuation of 6.1’s longer forward view (recognition *and* reaction), especially with regard to stopped traffic.

Seemingly more responsive sensor “balloons” to each side.

Less nervous overall, but still not as or more confident than AP1.

Better management of intersections *without medians* and with elevation changes.

Step back:

Car still heads for medians when crossing intersections with any kind of elevation change - intervention required to avoid impact.

Phantom braking events with nothing ahead and vehicles behind - intervention required to avoid getting rear-ended.

More conservative/timid when resuming after slowing down.

Limited lane changing on divided highways relative to previous versions.

No appreciable difference in HOV lane travel which is to say car still routinely crosses lane markers directly adjacent concrete barriers. AP1 rarely to never did this.

All in all, 10.4 is, so far, one of the better AP2 updates.

Hopefully, this also sets the stage for the “big” update due any month now. Which if I had to guess, would be within the next month - after the current EOQ merriment passes.