Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. If they don't add this feature (which already exists on the Model 3), then we complain that the Model 3 has stuff the S and X don't. If they do add it, we complain that it's stupid and idiotic. o_O

Bruce.
It's pure humor - sure the 3 has it. Does the 3 have a fob that'll unlock from 50' or more anyway - like the X/S? ... because if it did - it wouldn't need DEV's doing these kind of puny tasks.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmah and Kant.Ing
It's pure humor - sure the 3 has it. Does the 3 have a fob that'll unlock from 50' or more anyway - like the X/S? ... because if it did - it wouldn't need DEV's doing these kind of puny tasks.
Personally, I’d rather have the app option. Phone is probably in my hand and I can click on Remote S and open the frunk more quickly than putting my hand in my pocket, find right end of fob to be sure I’m not opening the trunk when I want the frunk, and then double clicking.

All I carry the fob for is so the car unlocks when I walk up to it. :D

From reading through this thread it seems like the size of the update is larger than what would be needed for the frunk/trunk opening feature. So hopefully there are some bug fixes and/or laying the groundwork for future upgrades.

I haven't owned our MS long enough to be jaded regarding updates. To me updates/bug fixes are still a "bonus" after years of owning ICE where what you purchased is what you had and the only upgrades were from the aftermarket or tuners.

Hmm, would be nice to have some more beneficial updates. I am sure for some this will be useful but definitely not something I would be bothered about. And just realised my car was dead. Couldn’t connect via ap do got in, nothing, pressed break nothing. Started messing with resets and got main screen power, waited for power up, waited and waited, finally forced a reboot then it finallly came back to life. Lucky for me it’s been the first time I have had this sort of issue. Been on 6.1 for about a week I guess. Hopefully within next few moths we get some nice vast updates and improvements

I had a similar surprise on my way home from work Friday. Opened the trunk and placed my briefcase etc inside, closed the trunk, got into the drivers seat, the main display was black and the dash was lit but blank. From habit I pressed on the brake, the headlights came on and a message popped up on the dash "system is powering up, press the brake when this message disappears". I messed around on my phone for awhile (emails/texts) and nothing happened so I pressed the brake and the message went away. However, both screens were still blank. I rebooted and everything started functioning normally.

Same. ours was dead for over 150 minutes. trying to get the car back to the shop today and this happened yesterday. supposedly fixed last Friday but the scream kept going out (multiple times over the months) even on the way back ostensibly from being repaired. The worst thing yesterday was windows were halfway down, outside the garage, and well ... it could have been worse .....
sometimes it's best just to lean into it.
o_O

From reading through this thread it seems like the size of the update is larger than what would be needed for the frunk/trunk opening feature. So hopefully there are some bug fixes and/or laying the groundwork for future upgrades.

I haven't owned our MS long enough to be jaded regarding updates. To me updates/bug fixes are still a "bonus" after years of owning ICE where what you purchased is what you had and the only upgrades were from the aftermarket or tuners.

I had a similar surprise on my way home from work Friday. Opened the trunk and placed my briefcase etc inside, closed the trunk, got into the drivers seat, the main display was black and the dash was lit but blank. From habit I pressed on the brake, the headlights came on and a message popped up on the dash "system is powering up, press the brake when this message disappears". I messed around on my phone for awhile (emails/texts) and nothing happened so I pressed the brake and the message went away. However, both screens were still blank. I rebooted and everything started functioning normally.
Yep had this twice in last 2 days. Fine when you have time to less about but not so much when wanting to go and pick the kids up from school

18.10. So far front parking sensors have been working at 40-50 deg F. Looks promising but will need to test further in colder temps (my sensors issue was cold dependent). No noticeabke improvements to AP 2. No random MCU reboots since update yesterday.

When did they stop working (what version?)
They’ve been working here in Canada at -40C no problem...
Unless I missed the version where they stopped working (totally possible)

But are you comparing apples to apples? i.e. some people were upgrading from 17.50.2/3, and others were upgrading from 18.4. Since the upgrade is a diff from what you currently have people upgrading from older versions will likely be bigger and take longer.

But are you comparing apples to apples? i.e. some people were upgrading from 17.50.2/3, and others were upgrading from 18.4. Since the upgrade is a diff from what you currently have people upgrading from older versions will likely be bigger and take longer.
Potentially. I also think that what version of hardware, AP1 vs AP2.5, for example probably has something to do with the size of the download as well. Especially, if they are laying the groundwork for additional features that older configurations don't have the hardware installed to use.

Love it when a rollout gets a flat tire.....
upload_2018-3-13_18-5-1.png

Wonder if this is one of those 'a few get it and we'll do another firmware with a few more little tiny things...'. They were on that road for a long time there for a while with the 2018.4.X versions.

Edit:

TeslaFi looks a little more optimistic:

upload_2018-3-13_18-10-8.png

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Got our MS back from the SC today and they installed 2018.10. Took it for a long drive today. Lane changing is improved. The resistance to steering out of autopilot is lessened. Other than that I don't notice any differences. In fact, we did have a spot of phantom emergency braking on the highway which was startling. First time that's happened since we took delivery last Dec.

Got our MS back from the SC today and they installed 2018.10. Took it for a long drive today. Lane changing is improved. The resistance to steering out of autopilot is lessened. Other than that I don't notice any differences. In fact, we did have a spot of phantom emergency braking on the highway which was startling. First time that's happened since we took delivery last Dec.
version? ours is .10 9982696 & as stated above ... no bueno. No lane change at all
it's in the SC right now & (among several other things) they're looking into it.

In fact, we did have a spot of phantom emergency braking on the highway which was startling. First time that's happened since we took delivery last Dec.
By the way, that would be just "regular" phantom braking, not phantom emergency braking unless you heard all sorts of alarms going off and it braked so hard you almost hit the windscreen.

Reactions: chillaban