Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More fallout from Harvey floods but won’t have WiFi for 3 months or so. Went to the sc to get .12 and got .14. Noticed I’m getting 6+ inches less height in levitation mode which is inexplicable. Puts speed bumps in play. Got enough to deal with without this bs. :D

Anyone get the map update ota? Not only do I not have WiFi but no longer can charge at night. Have to charge at work at 19 mph or drive 20 miles to the nearest SC. May have to do that to get the double benefit of sweet electrons etc and industrial WiFi.

It’s impossible to get maps OTA. I emailed Elon directly (have his personal email) and got his executive response guy who wrote a long explanation about how the 5GB per car OTA LTE data would bankrupt the company (he even did the math for me!) so it will never happen.

I finally sucked it up and this week bought/installed an AT&T Mobley hotspot in the car with a $10/mo unlimited data plan!! Google it. It installs (clicks into) the OBDII port of the car (takes 2 seconds) and creates a permanent WiFi hotspot in the car with LTE. 1GB included but on the vehicle plan (not available with other hotspot plans) when you exceed 1GB it just slows the connection rather than charging you exhorbitant fees. My cars downloaded nearly 6GB over the last couple days already! Worth the expense!!! And you’ll be prioritized for other OTA updates too!

So you do or don't have the maps update? Nav is after maps, we thought. Heck, we thought you needed 14. :D

We DO have the Nav Update. It came through with our Model S still on 12. 2018.12 came to our Model S early this week, maybe Monday morning. The update regarding the Nav showed up just this morning.

It definitely looks and sounds different.

ADDENDUM.

Old MCU with new update. Anything would have been an improvement over the old browser, which sets a very, very low bar indeed.

Yahoo.com came up pretty nicely; teslawaze likewise; and bbc.com also. However, could raise nothing on cnn.com and fox.com. Those pages don’t appear to be available on the new browser.

It’s impossible to get maps OTA. I emailed Elon directly (have his personal email) and got his executive response guy who wrote a long explanation about how the 5GB per car OTA LTE data would bankrupt the company (he even did the math for me!) so it will never happen.

I finally sucked it up and this week bought/installed an AT&T Mobley hotspot in the car with a $10/mo unlimited data plan!! Google it. It installs (clicks into) the OBDII port of the car (takes 2 seconds) and creates a permanent WiFi hotspot in the car with LTE. 1GB included but on the vehicle plan (not available with other hotspot plans) when you exceed 1GB it just slows the connection rather than charging you exhorbitant fees. My cars downloaded nearly 6GB over the last couple days already! Worth the expense!!! And you’ll be prioritized for other OTA updates too!

Very very interesting...

I am going to look into this. I forgot the car even had a OBDII port.

During the last 6 month I received updates between after 1 day to 3 months.
I think it will be the same with .14 :p
(I'm still on 2018.6.1)

To receive the European map update, I assume I have to double the time frame - between 2 days and 6 months. o_O

The car received 4,5GB of data yesterday, but i'm still in 2018.6.1 and didn't get any notice of update available in the past 24 hours.
So i'm thinking that i got the European maps downloaded, and just waiting for Tesla to release the 2018.14 update to my car and afterwards enabling the European Maps whenever they feel is the correct time...
Of course this is all speculation ...

• Informative
Reactions: pjw65
Update to the update.

Our surviving Tesla, the ModelS75D still on 2018.12 just got the Nav add-on update while sitting parked at COSTCO. No wifi connection as far as I know.

Seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when and how we get this NAV update.

Also, the new female navigation voice sounds even more disembodied than before.

I suspect it is possible that the maps may download first, but then need to be unpacked. Don't know if download only happens on wifi, but I can imagine that it downloaded on wifi and can unpack anywhere when the car is idle.

Very very interesting...

I am going to look into this. I forgot the car even had a OBDII port.
As far as we’re concerned, it’s only for power. (And that much only for the S and X.) But for things like a dashcam or hotspot, it can still be useful.

One more car has shown in the stats with 14. But the person getting 12 as ‘current’ definitely proves it’s been pulled.

Who wants to start the pool for when 2018.14.1 shows up? :D

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
[QUOTE="One more car has shown in the stats with 14. But the person getting 12 as ‘current’ definitely proves it’s been pulled.
/QUOTE]

I agree that 2018.14 has probably been pulled or stopped from mass out. I had a notification to install 2018.14 yesterday morning (which I did not do at the time) and then the notification icon went away yesterday afternoon and has not come back since.

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
ADDENDUM.

Old MCU with new update. Anything would have been an improvement over the old browser, which sets a very, very low bar indeed.

Yahoo.com came up pretty nicely; teslawaze likewise; and bbc.com also. However, could raise nothing on cnn.com and fox.com. Those pages don’t appear to be available on the new browser.

But but but... with MCU1/*.14, can you get through a complete Tesla Design Studio configuration (just short of the plunking down a deposit step, unless you’re truly dedicated to performance testing :))?

• Funny
Reactions: avesraggiana
As far as we’re concerned, it’s only for power. (And that much only for the S and X.) But for things like a dashcam or hotspot, it can still be useful.

One more car has shown in the stats with 14. But the person getting 12 as ‘current’ definitely proves it’s been pulled.

Who wants to start the pool for when 2018.14.1 shows up? :D

I got 14 yesterday after asking SC to push latest. I was on 10.4 and MCU was rebooting daily - and at bad times (like during a phone call). Let it install overnight and (fingers crossed) no issues so far. Not sure if this has any bearing, but am using Gen 1 UMC. A bit of a story, but original UMC (5 months old with S100D, so Gen 2), failed and I started using a spare I had which was Gen 1. Picked up replacement UMC earlier in the week but haven't swapped it back. Maybe I will try that tomorrow as an experiment.

Will update the tracker now. Do not have new maps yet. Have WiFi connection in garage but signal is not too strong. Hasn't prevented receiving releases before, but we'll see.