Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.18.2 301aeee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if it's just serendipity, but I also was one of those 6% stuck on 10.4 until tonight. It just so happens that today I got around to redoing my home network, upgrading a 10 year old router to one that I could configure for multiple VLANs, with much better management overall. I put the Tesla on it's own dedicated network so that it only sees the internet and nothing else can interfere. Within 6 hours of connecting, I noted a 2.35 GB download to the car and a friendly phone notification that an update was ready to install. :)
Been discussed time and again. It's coincidence. People with the crappiest wifi or no wifi at all can be in the first group to get it and those with superfast local wifi 24/7 and the car 1" away get nothing for weeks on end. Buuuut until we get a "check for updates" button, the postulation will keep going on...

Been discussed time and again. It's coincidence. People with the crappiest wifi or no wifi at all can be in the first group to get it and those with superfast local wifi 24/7 and the car 1" away get nothing for weeks on end. Buuuut until we get a "check for updates" button, the postulation will keep going on...
....but there are reports of cars struggling to connect or keep persistent connections when other traffic is on the network, especially media servers and such. The wireless access point that connects my car also is used to stream to an Amazon Fire stick. I have sat in the car when the fire stick is active and watched the wifi connect and disconnect over and over. Keeping the car on it's own dedicated network can not hurt, regardless if the rumors are true or not.

Great! I want to see EVERY person post when they get an update notification and then post again when they installed it. This thread needs to blow up to 100,000 posts because I have nothing better to do than to read hundreds of these posts! ‍♂️

One of our Moderators, Bruce, sent a message a while back asking people to stop sending messages about:

- I am waiting for the new release
- I am still on XXXX.XX release and have not gotten the latest one
- I just got the new release but I haven't installed it
- I installed the new release but I haven't driving the car yet

I think Bruce should create a new thread called:

- Who gives a rats butt or
- Who cares

He could then move all of these non-informational messages into those threads. Unfortunately this would be a full time job for him.

Another problem is that people do not create signatures which has the Model, Year, AP1/AP2, etc. so that when they enter a message other people do not have to ask for that information.

Those time wasting messages are easy to spot so I never read them.

Great! I want to see EVERY person post when they get an update notification and then post again when they installed it. This thread needs to blow up to 100,000 posts because I have nothing better to do than to read hundreds of these posts! ‍♂️

Gives you a chance to post an equally useless response while promoting your beg for referrals in your sig...

One of our Moderators, Bruce, sent a message a while back asking people to stop sending messages about:

- Who cares

He could then move all of these non-informational messages into those threads. Unfortunately this would be a full time job for him.

Another problem is that people do not create signatures which has the Model, Year, AP1/AP2, etc. so that when they enter a message other people do not have to ask for that information.

1. I think snippiness (sorry, no link!) would do for the garbage posts....
2. Yes, PLEASE put your info in your sig (and update it!). A lot of my posts are asking someone who asked a question or made a comment, 'what version are you on and what AP' because they didn't say. That's the most important piece of info, after what car model (heck, perhaps more important! :D ).

At least you folks are getting updates. I’m still on 10.4 and have been for over two months. This is the longest I’ve gone between updates since I have been tracking my updates on EV-FW in 2015.

Based upon the EV-FW numbers, I suspect there are a substantial number of owners in the same condition.

Well - I woke up this AM to an update available notice on my phone - 18.2 now installed.

Strange coincidence that I complained yesterday? More likely related to the service appt I scheduled for Monday, complaining about the length of time I had not received an update.

In my 5 years of Tesla ownership, there have been 2 very consistent events:

1. Musk promising changes/updates that occur long after the predicted date or never happen (anyone remember the promises of a major software update for Classic Non-AP cars after the first dashboard re-do?)

2. Completely random, erratic, timing for software updates.

Guess I now will be able to start complaining that my audio quality is crappy (no - I have not tried out the update yet).

Probably not the place but judging by the unhappy comments about unhelpful posts and unhelpful posts themselves (possibly including this one), it would be neat if there was a designated category for “Software Updates”.

Where the thread structure was more restrictive. So at the top of the thread, you could upload the release notes (once). And instead of being able to write any comment after that, you were given a template of questions to answer when posting:

What was your previous fw version:

What model, year, autopilot, and mcu version do you have:

What has improved or regressed with AP/FSD:

What other perceived changes have you noticed:

Im biased but it would be such an improvement to FW tracking for those who follow them.

You could have a poll or counter at the top of the thread that lets people voice their frustrations and summarize data points like “I’m still waiting”, “failed to install” (which is useful), “I have it but haven’t tested it”.

Bruce, do You have a recommendation for how to propose a suggestion like this?

• Helpful
Reactions: croman

- Who cares

Sorry, but sifting through posts is part of being on an internet forum. Ever looked at the "crash" posts (i.e. Model X Crash on US-101)?

Also, I find it valuable to know when groups of people are behind (months) on updates, so I don't have to waste time calling the SC to find out if something is wrong with my car. It's on-topic and relevant to some people.

Edit: Today I just updated from 10.4 to 18.2

Last edited:
Me too on the .10 to .18.2 transition last night, yay!

What's the deal with the new maps/navigation? Do I just wait for them to appear?

nb we didn't all simultaneously upgrade our WiFi yesterday - Tesla chose to push out the update. It's a frustrating wait, but rotating your WiFi antenna to point more directly at the car is simply making yourself feel involved.

Probably not the place but judging by the unhappy comments about unhelpful posts and unhelpful posts themselves (possibly including this one), it would be neat if there was a designated category for “Software Updates”.

Where the thread structure was more restrictive. So at the top of the thread, you could upload the release notes (once). And instead of being able to write any comment after that, you were given a template of questions to answer when posting:

What was your previous fw version:

What model, year, autopilot, and mcu version do you have:

What has improved or regressed with AP/FSD:

What other perceived changes have you noticed:

Im biased but it would be such an improvement to FW tracking for those who follow them.

You could have a poll or counter at the top of the thread that lets people voice their frustrations and summarize data points like “I’m still waiting”, “failed to install” (which is useful), “I have it but haven’t tested it”.

Bruce, do You have a recommendation for how to propose a suggestion like this?

Gah, you folks made my spidey-sense tingle. :)

I'm not sure how to implement what you described in a technical sense. More theoretically, I think more structure greatly increases the signal-to-noise ratio (more useful). On the other hand, some of the items you suggested might take awhile to gather (in particular AP changes...sometimes you have to drive a few dozen or hundred miles to really understand the behavior of a software build).

The main thing I had complained about was the "OMG I got something I wonder what it is I'm gonna go install it now and let you guys know what it is when it's done KTHXBAI" kind of posts. (Yes I am being very sarcastic and facetious here.) Those basically add zero value. I'm happy to not have seen any of those for awhile.

The posts like "I've updated from version X to version Y" are more useful, although after the first few of these, there's less value. One exception is where there are very few updates (or a long tail) to a version but people still keep getting it, because those point out differences from the expected roll-out pattern. In general, if I post something I find it helps to think "are my fellow TMC members really going to care about my post right now? in a week? in six months?" before clicking "Post".

BTW I encourage everyone to update ev-fw.com when they get a new software version. That site and TeslaFi are great resources (and note that they provide different views on two different data sets).

I've been trying to push the idea of cross-platform forums as well (so for example S/X owners can talk about firmware issues in the same place, and if the 3 software ever converges as well, then their stuff can get rolled in there too).

Getting back on topic, I wish I had something interesting to say about 2018.18.2, although I don't have it, so...(shrug)

Bruce.
(running 2018.16 on my S85D and generally happy with how it works)

PS. There are other moderators for the S and X forums...I invite them to weigh in also, although I think they prefer to keep a low profile. :)

PPS. Data-geek thing: It'd be interesting to do a scatter plot of recent firmware updates where the X axis has the old firmware version and the Y axis has the new firmware version. I hypothesize there might be some interesting clusters in that data.

Yes I have. I was on 18.0 on Tuesday and received 18.2. The audio is louder, clearer, and bass feels full again. I also checked the equalizer settings and noticed the upper limit is back to 12.

2017 Model S 100D. AP 2.5. Premium sound package.

Does the bass feel present also at volume below 4/5. I have the bass turned up to 11.5 and still when listening at volume below 4/5 it sounds flat and without any depth at all... I am not a big fan of bass dominating the sound picture, but when listening to music I like to hear and feel the full depth, not just the mid's and treble... I would think that increasing the bass to 11.5 should have made the bass quite dominating? Further I have adjusted the eq right from the bass to 8.5, but still it is mid's and treble dominating, (mid's and treble are at 4,4,4)... I suspect Tesla have been messing with the subwoofer crossover frequency, making the subwoofer contribute less then it should... When playing a particular song, I can at one particular place in the song feel and hear the subwoofer suddenly start to contribute at volume 5 the seat starts to vibrate for about 2-3 seconds, and then the bass disappears due to the fact that the frequency increases and the subwoofer shuts off/stops contributing...

Does the bass feel present also at volume below 4/5. I have the bass turned up to 11.5 and still when listening at volume below 4/5 it sounds flat and without any depth at all... I am not a big fan of bass dominating the sound picture, but when listening to music I like to hear and feel the full depth, not just the mid's and treble... I would think that increasing the bass to 11.5 should have made the bass quite dominating? Further I have adjusted the eq right from the bass to 8.5, but still it is mid's and treble dominating, (mid's and treble are at 4,4,4)... I suspect Tesla have been messing with the subwoofer crossover frequency, making the subwoofer contribute less then it should... When playing a particular song, I can at one particular place in the song feel and hear the subwoofer suddenly start to contribute at volume 5 the seat starts to vibrate for about 2-3 seconds, and then the bass disappears due to the fact that the frequency increases and the subwoofer shuts off/stops contributing...

If mid's and treble are dominating, why have you set them to 4,4,4? At -12,-12,-12 I guarantee they won't dominate.

Yes, I notice base at a volume below 4/5 with 18.2. I can't recall my equalizer settings at the moment, but I know bass is around 8.5, treble around 5, with mids somewhere in the -3 to -4 range. I'm not an audio expert so not sure if these settings are recommended, but to my ears, the bass and treble both seem distinct and noticeable.

Well, usually what you do to establish a base comparison is disable all equalization, meaning you set everything to zero, as that gives you an unmodified output.
Or at least it should.
Then from there, you adjust it to your preference after the comparison.

That's how I decided to go for premium sound over standard, I was able to compare two vehicles at the SeC using the same high quality mp3 (320 kbit) file.

Now, I know what my eq settings used to be, and with the range remapping from 12 to 8 steps I could still recreate them, after all it's essentially all values -1/3; original 24 (because of the .5 stepping) remapped to 16. So my former 4.5 should now be 3.
Doesn't solve the problem that it doesn't sound the same anymore. But I'm still on .18, hope I get .18.2 though that small-step upgrade seems to be on the backburner..

Last edited: