Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.18.2 301aeee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is correct. I ran a test at a place close to the SvC with 1 bar LTE and the result was 14 Mbps.
!I went to the SvC and they told me that some big updates use LTE as well. But little updates like the one we recently got (bug fixes) are sent using wifi.
I highly doubt there is any prioritization towards a specific connection type. It just doesn't make any sense, especially not sending small updates only through WiFi (if you subscribe to the church or "mobile data is still very expensive for corporate").
If I was to distribute software packages, I would choose the connection based on Speed (Throughput) and responsiveness (Ping), as they usually indicate the stability of a connection. Now if I had a contingent of, say, 3 GB on mobile and had a 5G package to send, I might go to a forced WiFi connection.

Last edited:
Interesting, once again, a large amount for a couple of days, and now way down. Wonder if that was a short push, and now on to 2018.20! :D (which technically shouldn't come out until early next week as this week is 'week 20')

upload_2018-5-15_10-28-23.png

upload_2018-5-15_10-28-57.png

• Love
Reactions: Doctt
Passive Entry default (off) has been noted to be an Europe/UK thing. Because of the rash of thefts by MitM (Man in the Middle) intercept, we assume.

And edit: I'm not sure when we've seen a day like this... HoHoHo, perhaps?

View attachment 300942
I rarely get updates and today i got this version when my car was parked with full 3G.
So i guess we can assume this is being pushed to everyone.

If recent patterns of firmware rollout are any indication, this release will not be "going wide" to the US. Looking at the ev-fw data closely, pretty much every wide distribution has double digit daily installs from nearly the first day of release for US-based cars. With this release, we're several days in, and the US is barely into double digits as a TOTAL. But that pattern doesn't hold for every release, so I guess we'll see :) I realize the actual numbers are different, I'm just going off of what's available from ev-fw.

If recent patterns of firmware rollout are any indication, this release will not be "going wide" to the US. Looking at the ev-fw data closely, pretty much every wide distribution has double digit daily installs from nearly the first day of release for US-based cars. With this release, we're several days in, and the US is barely into double digits as a TOTAL. But that pattern doesn't hold for every release, so I guess we'll see :) I realize the actual numbers are different, I'm just going off of what's available from ev-fw.

Yeah this is weird. How come no one in the USA is getting this widely?

It's also worth noting that it's barely doing any 2018.18 -> 2018.18.2 replacements. Most of the people being offered this update are on .14.2 or before.

That doesn't make it feel like a wide release. I'm guessing all of this is working up to a 2018.20 or something with more substantial changes.

FWIW, at least on 2018.18, AP2, I've been pretty happy with radar braking so far. I've not noticed any phantom braking on common locations with phantom braking from last year when they first attempted to enable this feature.

FWIW, at least on 2018.18, AP2, I've been pretty happy with radar braking so far. I've not noticed any phantom braking on common locations with phantom braking from last year when they first attempted to enable this feature.

My S75D was in the Dallas SC and they installed 2018.18.2 which seemed to really improve the lane change feature. It is quicker and smoother. Unfortunately, I had a scary phantom braking incident on I30 going under an overpass this morning which is something I had not experienced with other recent updates.

My S75D was in the Dallas SC and they installed 2018.18.2 which seemed to really improve the lane change feature. It is quicker and smoother. Unfortunately, I had a scary phantom braking incident on I30 going under an overpass this morning which is something I had not experienced with other recent updates.
Darn. As always 2 steps forwards, 1 step backwards.

Oh wait was that a joke?

I have to ask myself why these cars would phantom brake, even briefly, for an overhead sign or bridge but not, if even briefly, for a stopped fire truck right in front of it. :p

Oh well. I still love my AP.

Well I installed 18.2 last weekend and now my MCU is almost always blank and shows “Touchscreen Unresponsive” error in the dash. Needs a MCU reboot via steering wheel buttons every morning....

I have AP2 2017 March build.

Could it be related on a botched install or energy saving setting (which I have on) I read somewhere in the forums?

• Informative
Reactions: TechVP