Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.18.2 301aeee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Data-geek thing: It'd be interesting to do a scatter plot of recent firmware updates where the X axis has the old firmware version and the Y axis has the new firmware version. I hypothesize there might be some interesting clusters in that data.
Bruce has this idea (the scatter plot) in as a feature request at TeslaFi, if any members/clients (what are we?!) want to upvote the request. Might help James decide to add it, if he hasn't already because he likes it himself! :D

Reactions: StefanSarzio
Anyone with suggestions on site operations should post in the "site feedback" forum. Hopefully that will result in some positive changes.
We've been doing this for a *long* time. And there was rumor about a 'reorg'. And then we heard the 'reorg' was to use tags. <sigh> I'm sorry, I don't use tags. To either make a post or search for one.

The S Forum seems to have gravitated into being the 'General' forum. I'm not sure it's 'sustainable' (little Tesla joke there) to try and alter that behavior.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I am still on 2018.12 AP2 S100D
It looks there are about 20% of AP2 on 12
The recent burst of 18.2 update hardly made a dent for the 12 folks, went from 21% to 20% However, most of the 14 and up are upgraded to 18.2

It makes me think that the 12 are the control group or last stable build. The 14 are like a test group and keep getting fixes and now are at 18.2

The major update there was the browser, which I do use. I hope I some 14+ can go wide so I can join you guys too.

Reactions: Doctt
I highly doubt there is any prioritization towards a specific connection type. It just doesn't make any sense, especially not sending small updates only through WiFi (if you subscribe to the church or "mobile data is still very expensive for corporate").
If I was to distribute software packages, I would choose the connection based on Speed (Throughput) and responsiveness (Ping), as they usually indicate the stability of a connection. Now if I had a contingent of, say, 3 GB on mobile and had a 5G package to send, I might go to a forced WiFi connection.
I’ve been away from wifi for a few weeks then the instant I connected my router showed the car was downloading and I was prompted to update soon after downloading finished.
Could be a coincidence, but I doubt it. Has happened twice.

I’ve been away from wifi for a few weeks then the instant I connected my router showed the car was downloading and I was prompted to update soon after downloading finished.
Does not invalidate my point of the connection quality being the decisive factor. You don't tell what your connection quality is at the given location for the different networks, so the fact that it starts downloading something on WiFi immediately might just tell it's the better quality connection.
If you were to say your WiFi is weak and sketchy and your mobile connection is five by five, and it would still prefer WiFi, then I'd agree there's a WiFi preference.

If both are strong, usually the wifi will have better ping times and thus be superior.
My Wifi in my garage is constrained by architecture and repeating, so the 3 bars of WiFi are giving a worse signal, both in speed as well as in Ping times, than the one bar of LTE does (6-8 MBit vs. 16-18 MBit).

But this is getting off topic, and there's probably already a thread for it anyway. ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: DriverOne
I use a powerline connection to bring network from my flat on an upper level down to the basement and from there to a tiny access point in the shared underground parking on the same level. I had the car parked outside with good LTE connectivity for at least 2 hours on the 3rd day 18.2 got out in high volume but it didn't downloaded it. The instant I came back home the update was downloaded over wifi. It's reasonable to believe that Tesla has to pay for data over LTE and therefor prefers bigger downloads going over wifi.

I dunno. I’ve been on 2018.12.4 since a few days after it appeared back in late March. And connected to the same WiFi in my garage that was giving me timely updates on Fridays. Finally this morning, Friday, I got 2018.18.2. I won’t try to decipher “the system”.

But Friday’s!

I dunno. I’ve been on 2018.12.4 since a few days after it appeared back in late March. And connected to the same WiFi in my garage that was giving me timely updates on Fridays. Finally this morning, Friday, I got 2018.18.2. I won’t try to decipher “the system”.

But Friday’s!
I really think we're trying to read the wiggles of the Kremlin's curtains. :D

I've been on wifi constantly. I 'used' to get releases every Friday AM. I also get them when they are delivered to more than 500 people on ev-fw. :confused: All my releases are the ones over 500, lol.

That's the only pattern I see, and it may mean something, and it may not. We may have to have our physicians write prescriptions to Elon that we need the 'fetch a release' button for our sanity if this goes on....

Oh, yeah, this will change shortly, as this week is week 20, so in a few days, 2018.20 will start! :rolleyes:

upload_2018-5-18_11-10-45.png