Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.18.2 301aeee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After months at 2018.12, I finally got the update today to 2018.18.2. Honestly cannot tell any difference.

Um, I don't mean to pick on you but the first reports of 2018.12 were less than two months ago. I know time goes slower when you're waiting for an update... :D

This car was built only 3 months ago, I've only owned it for 45 days..

Yes, 45 days are a long time, months... ;) :D

Be a bit more patient and have fun with your new car.

Amazing how smart you think you are and how are stupid you think I am. You say that according to my sig, I state the I took "delivery" of my SP100D in Feb of 2018 while my sig states clearly "BUILD" in Feb of 2018. You then call me a liar and say that's "It's impossible according to this model that has held true for at least a year and a half (and dozens of software releases) for you to have gotten 2018.12 on a car in February 2018. How can a year and a half occur on a Feb 2018 car occur in May of 18? Duh?? This car was built only 3 months ago, I've only owned it for 45 days. You insult us all with your "wisdom". I'll post a scan of my window sticker in seconds after you admit you are way off base here.
Dude, chill, why do you behave like that? Please be nice to people, and accept that other people can have knowledge too.

Someone joked because your post saying being "for months" (implies two or more months, ~63 days), even though the version has not been out that long. Hilarious how that somehow turns into an argument and attacks on person. Unless someone really wants to cause a fight and need to find a reason.

Amazing how smart you think you are and how are stupid you think I am. You say that according to my sig, I state the I took "delivery" of my SP100D in Feb of 2018 while my sig states clearly "BUILD" in Feb of 2018. You then call me a liar and say that's "It's impossible according to this model that has held true for at least a year and a half (and dozens of software releases) for you to have gotten 2018.12 on a car in February 2018. How can a year and a half occur on a Feb 2018 car occur in May of 18? Duh?? This car was built only 3 months ago, I've only owned it for 45 days. You insult us all with your "wisdom". I'll post a scan of my window sticker in seconds after you admit you are way off base here.

By the way, the year and half model Bruce was referring to is regarding the naming convention of the firmware.

You may probably want to chill a little bit and go back and use that smart brain of yours to read his post once again. You’ll probably get it the second time.

After my two previous updates failed, I got another one yesterday. This time I decided to drive outside my garage and made sure I had at least 3 bars on the LTE signal.

The update kept failing after 5-8 min. with the message "Unable to apply update, please try again later". But the update icon remained available, so I rebooted the car and tried three more times without luck, same message. Then the last time it failed it showed numerous messages/errors in the center screen, everything from "low battery power", "disabled emergency braking" ect, it stopped at "Software update required, please contact Tesla Service".

So I decided to just run the update again, without rebooting. This time it kept going longer. That was an interesting experience :D With the screens restarting several times. Plenty of sounds coming from the car during the update, clicking noises, fans starting up and shutting down, a strange ride :) This is the moment you wish there was some kind of progress view, either on the app or on one of the screens. You have no idea what is going on....

After more that an hour, the update was successful! :D Finally!
As for the update itself, everything is already mentioned. Faster, snappier MCU and browser. Spotify loads quicker and does not hang.

One thing I noticed for me, is that before the update. LTE speed was max 2.0 MB/s, after the update it has jumped up to 20.0 MB/s! nice!

looks like everyone on 10.4 is moving to 18.2

You’re going to fit right in...

Guys just leave the how many months thing... it isn’t important.

Now back to 18.2...
Faster big screen for MCU 1, especially noticible on the map
More capable and faster browser, can load most sites except for video and audio
Any other changes?

Looks like all the old hold outs 10.4 and 12 are finally moving over to 18.2, I think 18.2 is the new stable build

• Disagree
Reactions: Joelgjr
After my two previous updates failed, I got another one yesterday. This time I decided to drive outside my garage and made sure I had at least 3 bars on the LTE signal.

The update kept failing after 5-8 min. with the message "Unable to apply update, please try again later". But the update icon remained available, so I rebooted the car and tried three more times without luck, same message. Then the last time it failed it showed numerous messages/errors in the center screen, everything from "low battery power", "disabled emergency braking" ect, it stopped at "Software update required, please contact Tesla Service".

So I decided to just run the update again, without rebooting. This time it kept going longer. That was an interesting experience :D With the screens restarting several times. Plenty of sounds coming from the car during the update, clicking noises, fans starting up and shutting down, a strange ride :) This is the moment you wish there was some kind of progress view, either on the app or on one of the screens. You have no idea what is going on....

After more that an hour, the update was successful! :D Finally!
As for the update itself, everything is already mentioned. Faster, snappier MCU and browser. Spotify loads quicker and does not hang.

One thing I noticed for me, is that before the update. LTE speed was max 2.0 MB/s, after the update it has jumped up to 20.0 MB/s! nice!
Did you stay with the car during the update? Because I did with the recent update and during the update, the IC came alight and stated "Software update required, please contact Tesla Service". This was while the car was still updating.
It later reboooted itself, kept upgrading some more and finally sent the notification to my phone.

Did you stay with the car during the update? Because I did with the recent update and during the update, the IC came alight and stated "Software update required, please contact Tesla Service". This was while the car was still updating.
I see that often during the update itself. The very first day I got my car I got an update immediately, did the update and saw the message, contacted the SC and they said "it's still in the middle of the update" and they acknowledged the message isn't helpful. It should say "Currently updating" but it doesn't for... reasons.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: Dave46 and Maniac
It later reboooted itself, kept upgrading some more and finally sent the notification to my phone.
Yeah I did. I got the same message as you, but after a while the main MCU turned back on with the message "Unable to update"... So I just ran the update again.

• Informative
Reactions: Joelgjr
Guys just leave the how many months thing... it isn’t important.

Now back to 18.2...
Faster big screen for MCU 1, especially noticible on the map
More capable and faster browser, can load most sites except for video and audio
Any other changes?

Looks like all the old hold outs 10.4 and 12 are finally moving over to 18.2, I think 18.2 is the new stable build

Relative to 10.4, IMO both .12 and .18 are slight improvements to Autosteer performance and braking in advance of really slow / stopped cars. It’s been hard to tell the difference between .12 vs .18 for me but if you’ve been on .10.4, expect a modest Autopilot improvement too.

.18 also got rid of some IC maps glitches for me. On one particular road, .12 would always draw a flickering lake like blotch off in the horizon .18 seems to have fixed that.

We have had the 18.18 update for about two weeks. The NAV is improved especially the one in the IC. What I do notice is an apparent reduction in vampire draw. With all previous versions, the draw amounted to about 3 miles of range per day. This is in the "always connected" mode. On two occasions where the car has be plugged in and parked for three days in a row, the vampire draw has shown a loss of one mile of range per day. Has anyone else noticed their parked vampire draw with this update? The history in the app showed no intervening top up charging. I checked SOC each day and it showed a loss of 1 mile each time.

BTW, our car is a MX, vin 654xxx. One other note, it's lane changing manners have improved. The abrupt direction lane shift is much smoother. Also seems to be a bit more picky with regard to other cars in adjacent lanes. If close it won't initiate change. I do not know about any improvement in radio sound.

I sat through an update once and thought the car was possessed. Never again.

Something seems to have changed with the scheduled charging in this version.

I have it set to begin charging at 5 am at home, and if I haven’t been driving for a day, it would previously wake up, check if it was below 3% the setpoint. If not it would go back to sleep, if yes it would charge back to the setpoint.

This morning it has charged the 1% or so vampire drain at 5 pm according to teslafi, but no notification on the Tesla app or anything.

Have anyone else noticed any changes to how the car handles vampire drain when plugged in? Maybe they just changed the start of charging from 3 to 1%.

Something seems to have changed with the scheduled charging in this version.

I have it set to begin charging at 5 am at home, and if I haven’t been driving for a day, it would previously wake up, check if it was below 3% the setpoint. If not it would go back to sleep, if yes it would charge back to the setpoint.

This morning it has charged the 1% or so vampire drain at 5 pm according to teslafi, but no notification on the Tesla app or anything.

Have anyone else noticed any changes to how the car handles vampire drain when plugged in? Maybe they just changed the start of charging from 3 to 1%.

@Veritas, See my post above, #195, Only difference is that I do not have a time set for charging. It will charge when the SOC drops to the threshold which appears to be 3% or so. Vampire drain seems to be significantly reduced with this 18.18 update.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
@Veritas, See my post above, #195, Only difference is that I do not have a time set for charging. It will charge when the SOC drops to the threshold which appears to be 3% or so. Vampire drain seems to be significantly reduced with this 18.18 update.
For me, the amount of vampire drain is similar to what I'm use to with power saving on and always connected on.

It is only that recharging seems to happen now at 1% and not 3% while I'm on scheduled charging. Will see if the behavior is similar tomorrow morning as well.