Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm eagerly waiting for the updated Nav. Are you really 100% sure that a Belgian owner with a MCU1 car got the update? Not that I don't believe you, but this is the first I heard of :) Hope it starts to be pushed out soon!

Well, it's a member of our Tesla Owners Club Belgium who said he was happy with the new navigation software. I asked him if it was on a MCU1 or MCU2 car, and he answered me "Old ... model X from end 2017". So, there are good reasons to believe it's going to MCU1 cars in Europe as well.

Will keep you updated if I've got any more info.

• Informative
Reactions: evster
Chill mode? We don't like your kind around here.
Getting out of Chill mode
Sorry-I had problems with TMC posting yesterday and kept on getting load error. My car images did not load properly. Let me try again today.

IMG_20180610_170305.jpg

IMG_20180610_165518.jpg

Wheel jiggle was suggested as a substitute for loud chimes when engaging or disengaging AP - don't read more into it than that.
The chimes are bothersome to the passengers - the jiggle not so much. Original idea had nothing to do with hand detection.

Post #277 was my attempt to validate another opinion that I did not agree with. I would delete that post if I could.

The problem is that keeping your hands on the wheel seems to be equated to paying adequate attention to the road. They are very different things. Increasing the frequency of the nag increases the frequency with which attention is focused on the steering wheel and the alarm, rather than the road. A subset of this group are the drivers who are going to be paying even less attention to the road now.
Whilst we all tell ourselves that we are multitasking, the human brain doesn't multitask at all, it switches tasks and switches attention. I wonder whether anyone has researched this, as I suspect that some will respond by tuning out completely from the nag, others by not using AP at all (in which case accidents per million miles in the Tesla fleet will rise), and some will become more cognitively fatigued as the task of rapid serial attention switching is fatiguing over time?
I'm not suggesting that Tesla should do nothing, it should, but this needs to be thought through with a clearer psychological focus rather than just looking at it as an engineering problem. Behavioural change is best effected through intermittent reward rather than a big stick, just look at the success of the gambling industry to see how powerful a motivator intermittent reward can be

Last edited:
Really!
Jiggle the steering wheel to alert you to put your hands on the steering wheel.
is this a joke?
How are you supposed to feel it if your hands aren’t on the wheel?
This is probably dating myself, but I remember when booting up DOS with the keyboard disconnected produced the following error message:
“keyboard not connected, press any key to continue“

No, it is not a joke. The suggestion is based on the fact that many *DO* have our hands on the wheel, but the flawed detection mechanism does notice know that. If the detection mechanism actually worked, then it would be a joke.

Don't remind me about the "press any key" thing. I remember we'd gotten a cluster of a few hundred rack mount IBM servers at a former employer. They all came up with that, and we had the proprietary IBM cable to daisy-chain the kbd connector from one machine to the next, but not the proprietary IBM connector that actually broke it out into a normal keyboard port. So we had to wait several days while IBM shipped is a cable, and then go into the BIOS on every one... Arg..

Whatever the difference is with 2018.21.9 75bdbc11 vis-a-vis Autosteer and hands-on detection, it is a big step backwards.

I have a September 2016 S 75 (Mobileye) and I use Autopilot for ~55 of the 70 miles on my daily commute. I keep at least 1 hand on the wheel more than 99% of the time and both hands more than 90% of the time. The car occasionally delivers a false positive flashing-around-the-edge warning (i.e., my hands are on the wheel, but maybe I'm on a long straightaway and I'm applying torque evenly on each side of the wheel, so the sensor detects no resistance). It happens maybe twice a month and I consider it "worth it" for all the other benefits of Autupilot. In 21 months of daily use, I can count on 1 hand the number of times I received two warnings in a single commute. I have NEVER received the "Autosteer unavailable for the remainder of this drive" message.

Last night I updated to 2018.21.9 75bdc11 and this morning's drive to work was my first commute with it. I changed nothing about my driving style, route, speed, etc. relative to the last ~21 months. I received my first warning just a few miles into the drive (with BOTH HANDS on the wheel) and my second warning ~10 miles later. After ~25 miles, I received my first ever "...remainder of this drive..." message. What gives?!?!?! I am about to get a second Model S but I will strongly reconsider if this is the new normal when it comes to Autopilot. If this continues, I will no longer consider it "worth it" per above.

With all the photos of dash screens i can't get over how many people use range rather than percent as their battery unit.

Well get over it. I'm fine with using range. I treat it as an indicator, not a literal range. A range, even if it's inaccurate by 100km/mi (which it is not), tells me more than a percentage with regards to how much further I can drive. I'm sure you prefer a percentage, I don't. I tried it.

We can choose what we like to use.

People using ideal range, that I don't understand.

Last edited:
With all the photos of dash screens i can't get over how many people use range rather than percent as their battery unit.

Likewise, I don't understand how folks make any sense out of % remaining. I mean, I know the next charger is 100 miles away and I want to see an estimate of how many miles are remaining in my pack. I have no idea if the next charger is 42% of my battery pack away.

But I'm glad Tesla let's us choose what to display since it seems many like to see % remaining...

Mike

Also noted that my heated steering wheel was turned on too when I got in the vehicle. Another concern on my commute yesterday on a on ramp merging onto a highway and the auto pilot directly veered into the centre meridian at about 50 Km/Hr. It was city/highway so it wasn't 100% highway though. Partially my fault but one would assume on an on ramp merging into a highway the auto pilot wouldn't have any issues. Was just an FYI holy F*** it's going directly into the centre meridian and veered into it out of my lane. No issues with the road lines not being visible either. Little concerning and I still do not trust autopilot on the highway.

• Informative
Reactions: croman

I tried both and prefer rated range. For long trips, where I do a pretty good job of managing consumption, I'm quite often fairly close to rated. It gives me a better sense as to where I should charge and whether I can make the final leg without stopping.