Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am contractually obligated by my unofficial agreement with this forum to be the buzzkill here and point out that people who paid for FSD (I assume that's what you meant and "FSV" was a typo) are still legitimately peed off because V9 still does not deliver a single FSD feature. Nor, now that they took away the ability to disable lane change confirmation, does it deliver a single new EAP feature, though it is clearly a strong move toward delivering EAP.

The blind spot monitoring is highly appreciated though anyway... if it works... reliably... in the rain, snow, fog, at night, and with fast-approaching vehicles. You know, like radar has been able to do for years.
Paid for fsd, not peed off.

• Funny
Reactions: lunitiks
Maybe it is just about "driving styles"? Like passing on the right, staying on the left, etc. - that is common in the USA or at least in California - needs to be modified to work correctly in Europe

Maybe, but the guy who did the video confirmed it was working quite fine and he was impressed.

Isn’t there a video of a guy on the early access program using Navigate on Autopilot in Europe?

No, it's a Tesla owner who has a "hacked" car, he's not part of the Early Access.

Argh so disappointing— they tease it to us then take it away? Well who knows — the “final/wide” release of V9 could be 2018.40? (Week 40 starts at midnight) Maybe it’ll come back??

Clearly, I know nothing about what Tesla will bring back or not, but I suspect it's not coming back anytime soon, it's definitely alpha to meand it gets confused at times, like going all the way to left lane on the three lane highway to pass someone, only to realize the exit is coming up in less then 1 mi and it's gotta get all the way to the right, and instead of accelerating trying to break through to the right, it starts slowing and letting cars pass waiting for an opening to get to the right, and it slows more and more drastically as the exit gets closer, so imagine, going 77 down a highway in the left lane, to slow to 50 to get to the right, folks are not very happy with you...

Don't get me wrong, it's freaking awesome and very cool to watch it do it's thing, and it's going to be very exciting in a few more months I suspect.

Keep telling this to yourself. I don't mean to be negative but after driving in ap1 and ap2.5, I can confidently say that ap1 is acceptable but not better even before v9. With v9, ap2.5 will be vastly better. With v9.1, it will be completely different generations that cannot be compared as better or worse but rather as a level progression of adas (ie gen 1, gen 2).
I didn't say AP1 was better than AP2. Rather, this release is finally allowing AP2 to reach parity with AP1 (most of what's new on this software release has been available on AP1 for a long time). And with blind spot detection being the one true incremental feature that AP1 lacks, I'm simply saying I'm more than content trading that for other features that work well for me on AP1.

I had a AP1 loaner last week. Even on motorways, it was so unsure of itself. Kept moving towards lorries. It really fails when there is not a white line on one side. AP2 can interpret a line from objects such as cones etc. For me AP2 just felt a lot more planted.
I just drove a new AP2 loaner for a 1500 mile road trip running the latest software, and I'd say steering parity is pretty much finally there between the two versions. The bigger issue for me was ghost braking happening on AP2. Downright scary, especially the times I had cars directly behind me. Something I honestly don't encounter on my AP1 car. To each their own on what matters, I suppose.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Magus
Rather, this release is finally allowing AP2 to reach parity with AP1 (most of what's new on this software release has been available on AP1 for a long time

Don’t forget sign reading! We are still waiting on that. Sign reading will unlock 20 miles of my daily commute to use AP2 that AP1 does just fine on now (AP2’s database is wrong on my highway).

I am a bit annoyed that sign reading appears to be dead last on the parity list.

• Informative
Reactions: Magus and don123
I just drove a new AP2 loaner for a 1500 mile road trip running the latest software, and I'd say steering parity is pretty much finally there between the two versions. The bigger issue for me was ghost braking happening on AP2. Downright scary, especially the times I had cars directly behind me. Something I honestly don't encounter on my AP1 car. To each their own on what matters, I suppose.
I had more phantom breaking on AP1 on a route route i do all the time on AP2... i think it really just depends on many factors.

I had more phantom breaking on AP1 on a route route i do all the time on AP2... i think it really just depends on many factors.
Perhaps. I've been fortunate to have 40k of driving miles on my AP1, with no ghost braking to date. Conversely, I've driven three brand new AP2 / AP2.5 loaners on road trips running current software, with numerous instances of ghost braking that was downright scary at times. Hopefully, this becomes a thing of the past for everyone.

• Informative
Reactions: morrisdl and Magus
This news just pops the v9 bubble. Not really excited anymore. V9 initial release now adds no additional usable functionality to ap. Lane suggestions are useless to driver without automatic action.

I agree about the new lane change being largely useless, but I disagree that there's no additional usable functionality here -- we finally get some semblance of blind spot monitoring! That's pretty huge IMO, even if it isn't as reliable as radar, it's better than those useless parking sensors.

Won't keep me from complaining that they should have just put in cheap radars like everybody else, and then we would all have had super reliable blind spot monitoring for the past two years... and now with V9 they'd have even better blind spot monitoring via sensor diversity (radar + cameras). Too bad Elon thinks he can apply comic book thinking to real-world product development...

I was at my local showroom yesterday to pick up our new Model 3 (trading in our last ICE car) and they had this book on display in the waiting room. I just about puked. That book is not about rockets; it's about Elon's BFR-sized ego.

Time to start a betting pool on how long it will be before they bring back the unattended lane change (no confirmation) option... this is required to fulfill their EAP promises, nevermind FSD. And no, this has nothing to do with regulations... yet. If they do it and people start dying, well then new regulations might just come along to stop it.

Reactions: ironwaffle
this is required to fulfill their EAP promises, nevermind FSD

Well, Tesla is historically very loose with their “promises”. AP1 was supposed to get stop sign reading and freeway on ramp to off ramp. And AP1 summon was supposed to pull the car out of the garage and drive it around to the curb for you.

So If actual auto lane change gets delayed a lot, or even pushed into AP3, I would not be surprised at all. Maybe they figure out they need radars and whitelisted freeways to make it work reliably enough, who knows.

Time to start a betting pool on how long it will be before they bring back the unattended lane change (no confirmation) option... this is required to fulfill their EAP promises, nevermind FSD. And no, this has nothing to do with regulations... yet. If they do it and people start dying, well then new regulations might just come along to stop it.

Based on the info posted in this thread the ULC is just not ready for prime time. Lots of us would like to have it anyways since we are responsible and would properly supervise it, but just like Autopilot without nags, we can't have it because some small number of people would do something dumb with it and we would be seeing front page news about Self Driving Tesla's crashing into people.

I for one hope they work out the kinks and give us the option back in a few months, when it's ready.