Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While not nearly as nice as the "unattended" EAP we have seen a few users demo, the new firmware is still pretty cool. It will:
1) Allow lane changes at any speed (not just above 30mph), and will slow down and find a place in traffic to merge. I used it today in heavy traffic to merge in moving 2-3mph. Was really impressive.
2) Suggest lane changes to pass slow moving traffic or to get ready for an upcoming exit/turn
3) Use maps to help with navigating tricky road sections... It was successfully driving on roads/turns it could never handle before today
4) Shows vehicles approaching from behind and in your blind spots (and if you have your blinker on, will show the lane line as red/will not merge until clear)
5) Displays different vehicle/object types (Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, Bicycles, Pedestrians)
6) Shows all adjacent lanes on highways (and traffic in at least the two adjacent lanes)

OK, thanks. Hope to try it out next week. Incremental steps. Hope they bring back the "unintended" EAP no too long afterwards.

While not nearly as nice as the "unattended" EAP we have seen a few users demo, the new firmware is still pretty cool. It will:
1) Allow lane changes at any speed (not just above 30mph), and will slow down and find a place in traffic to merge. I used it today in heavy traffic to merge in moving 2-3mph. Was really impressive.
2) Suggest lane changes to pass slow moving traffic or to get ready for an upcoming exit/turn
3) Use maps to help with navigating tricky road sections... It was successfully driving on roads/turns it could never handle before today
4) Shows vehicles approaching from behind and in your blind spots (and if you have your blinker on, will show the lane line as red/will not merge until clear)
5) Displays different vehicle/object types (Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, Bicycles, Pedestrians)
6) Shows all adjacent lanes on highways (and traffic in at least the two adjacent lanes)
It doesn’t really do anything meaningful now though regarding improving EAP. The only real world benefit will be blind spot.

I read as much as I could before posting my own opinion. Its great that V9 has all these cool things coming our way. Sucks that having AP1 limits what I'll be able to have in my MS. Seems like Tesla only cares now about there newer cars with AP2 and the model 3.....smh.

The AP1 sensor suite and processing capabilities (Mobileye) limit what Tesla can do on AP1 cars. Short of retrofitting those cars with AP2 hardware, there's not a lot more that can be added to their Autopilot capabilities. Drive to Nav, for instance needs cameras that our AP1 cars just don't have. I'm not sure what you expect Tesla to do.

I'm actually happy that AP1 and pre-AP cars will apparently be getting the improvements (at least I hope they're improvements) that aren't specific to the AP hardware.

Bruce.

Thanks for the through post! I'm hoping the updates flow swiftly (like to me, though my AP 2 car is in the body shop for 2 more weeks). I wonder why you received it in Eastern Europe since with any new product releases I'd expect it to be released close to the source such as San Jose/Palo Alto area.

It doesn’t really do anything meaningful now though regarding improving EAP. The only real world benefit will be blind spot.

Exactly. After reading thru all of this thread, I'm still very content with my AP1 system. Totally cool with giving up blind spot monitoring in exchange for *consistently working* automatic windshield wipers, speed sign detection, and no ghost braking. With this v9.0 release, I'm honestly not feeling left out yet. If the driver has to literally confirm each lane change with this first iteration of "Drive on Nav", that to me is basically the same amount of user interaction when wanting to change lanes under AP with 7.x and 8.x.

Perhaps 9.1 or some other numerical iteration will finally be the holy grail for AP2 owners. Until then, AP1 rock on!

Last edited:
Interesting. I was reading that there are 2 lane change options: 1. Have the car do it automatically without confirming or 2. Confirm the lane change by pulling on AutoPilot lever.
In 2018.39, there were, but @appleguru confirmed that the option to change lanes without confirmation is gone in 2018.39.2, so it's likely we won't get it in the version that rolls out to everyone:
.39.1/2 took away the “change lanes without confirmation” feature :( but nav on autopilot seems to be enabled legitimately now. So seems likely this will be how it launches for all of us. Means you have to use the turn signal or autopilot stalk to confirm lane changes.
I'm curious how the confirmation with the autopilot stalk works. Do you just pull it, or do you have to push it up or down like you would with the signal lever?

In 2018.39, there were, but @appleguru confirmed that the option to change lanes without confirmation is gone in 2018.39.2, so it's likely we won't get it in the version that rolls out to everyone:

I'm curious how the confirmation with the autopilot stalk works. Do you just pull it, or do you have to push it up or down like you would with the signal lever?

I’m curious if Tesla pulled the feature to get more info on it based on The Whole Fleet’s data (analyzing situations where the user either confirmed or did not confirm the suggested lane change) or if there are regulatory hurdles that prevented them from doing so.

I’m curious if Tesla pulled the feature to get more info on it based on The Whole Fleet’s data (analyzing situations where the user either confirmed or did not confirm the suggested lane change) or if there are regulatory hurdles that prevented them from doing so.
The optimist in me says the former, but my experience in building software tells me it's more likely the latter :(

Reactions: ironwaffle
The AP1 sensor suite and processing capabilities (Mobileye) limit what Tesla can do on AP1 cars. Short of retrofitting those cars with AP2 hardware, there's not a lot more that can be added to their Autopilot capabilities. Drive to Nav, for instance needs cameras that our AP1 cars just don't have. I'm not sure what you expect Tesla to do.

I'm actually happy that AP1 and pre-AP cars will apparently be getting the improvements (at least I hope they're improvements) that aren't specific to the AP hardware.

Bruce.

Yes, I'll agree that at least AP1 and non AP vehicle will continue to get updates (hopefully) it's nice to see that after spending all this money in order to stay up-to-date with the times...... us older customers will have to upgrade to enjoy these future benefits. I didn't understand the hang up with the older hardware but as you explained with the camera system it all makes sense. It doesn't feel good reading "what do you expect Tesla to do" seems super condescending. I mean all the technology that goes into these things....again my two cents!

Reactions: dark cloud
I read as much as I could before posting my own opinion. Its great that V9 has all these cool things coming our way. Sucks that having AP1 limits what I'll be able to have in my MS. Seems like Tesla only cares now about there newer cars with AP2 and the model 3.....smh.

Bruce.

This is for all the people who have paid several thousands of dollars for FSV and up to this point have not been given what they have paid for, or what was promised. Up until now many have been a little peed off, and rightfully so, because old AP1 was better than AP2. So now it is AP2's turn.

Honestly it doesn't bother me that much. Given the option to get a newer 75D or an older P85D, I chose the latter, and I have no regrets. I don't have this car to drive down a 4 lane highway in traffic and be a passenger, I have this car to drive twisty roads. "Real" autopilot is finally here and it is cool, no question, but it is down the list for me. But hey, I am a guy still using an iPhone 5s. The best part of my model S is driving it. In order of importance to me:

1) the acceleration
2) the handling
3) the one pedal driving knowing there is little wasted energy converting brake wear to heat, which saves money not paying for brakes
4) burning no gas: 2 parts to this: saving money and the "feel good" environment part
5) less moving parts which "in theory" means less repairs long term

and after that 6) the ability for me to let the car do the steering and speed, whether that is AP1 or AP2/2.5/3?

I still use AP1 on the straight boring bits of a long drive on the highways. it works well, it reduces driver fatigue, it has shown trucks, cars, and motorcycles in adjacent lanes for months now, and I believe Tesla will continue to make it better.

No, my car doesn't read stoplights, or will do turns on its own, but a model S without AP at all is still one of the most enjoyable cars to drive on the planet, and it will still get infinitely more updates than any other manufacturer.

Enjoy it!

Exactly. ... *consistently working* automatic windshield wipers....!

Apparently yours work better than mine! I have had them come on with no rain (ghost rain? rain shadow?) and have them not come on with a fully wet window when leaving my driveway. I would say they work well 95% of the time, but if they come on once more on a bone-dry windshield and smear 20 sticky bugs all over the place I will turn it off and use it manually!

This is for all the people who have paid several thousands of dollars for FSV and up to this point have not been given what they have paid for, or what was promised. Up until now many have been a little peed off, and rightfully so, because old AP1 was better than AP2. So now it is AP2's turn.

Honestly it doesn't bother me that much. Given the option to get a newer 75D or an older P85D, I chose the latter, and I have no regrets. I don't have this car to drive down a 4 lane highway in traffic and be a passenger, I have this car to drive twisty roads. "Real" autopilot is finally here and it is cool, no question, but it is down the list for me. But hey, I am a guy still using an iPhone 5s. The best part of my model S is driving it. In order of importance to me:

1) the acceleration
2) the handling
3) the one pedal driving knowing there is little wasted energy converting brake wear to heat, which saves money not paying for brakes
4) burning no gas: 2 parts to this: saving money and the "feel good" environment part
5) less moving parts which "in theory" means less repairs long term

and after that 6) the ability for me to let the car do the steering and speed, whether that is AP1 or AP2/2.5/3?

I still use AP1 on the straight boring bits of a long drive on the highways. it works well, it reduces driver fatigue, it has shown trucks, cars, and motorcycles in adjacent lanes for months now, and I believe Tesla will continue to make it better.

No, my car doesn't read stoplights, or will do turns on its own, but a model S without AP at all is still one of the most enjoyable cars to drive on the planet, and it will still get infinitely more updates than any other manufacturer.

Enjoy it!

Exceptionally written man!

I'm still in 32.4 :(

A month ago I spoke to a kind lady the SC about missing release notes, I was told that the latest update was successful in spite of the missing release notes however, there have been four failed updates in the past 6 months, so keep an eye out for the next updates.
34.1 and 36.2 came in (with release notes )10 days apart. Last week the bogus Supercharger Congrats popped up on the screen and the 3.6 App update was posted to my Android tablet from Google Play.

You may want to speak to someone at the SC, maybe your updates have been failing and you have 'fallen' off the update wagon due maybe to some deficient WiFi router hs-dsl feeds etc. a speed check may be required and if not up to what you are paying for call your isp.

I made another small video, it's 30 minutes drive compiled in 2 min, I had to take over the car twice, once to pass a car of Chinese lady (was driving 50 miles and merged into my lane) and another time when the car lost lane marking next to SF.
I would say its pretty damn good beta if you ask me :)
Which country is this version for? I don't like that it hangs out in the left lane when not overtaking, and that it overtakes on the right side (bad practice/illegal around here). Could be one of the reasons it's US only first tho, as they need to adapt it to different laws.

Reactions: Jan Fiala