Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot is definitely more useful now. For the first time my 3 allowed me to do an auto lane change on route 1 in NJ. This was not possible at all in previous versions. I have yet to encounter a road with multiple lanes that does not allow auto lane change since updating to version 9.

As others have reported the vehicle avatars around your car on the screen can be a bit glitchy. I’m hoping this is just the cameras still calibrating and it will get better. I’ve had a lot of instances where the car avatars on the screen look like they’re going to side swipe me when they’re clearly a normal distance away. The vehicles around you also tend to dance a lot when stopped at a traffic light. Seeing the cars behind you is pretty cool as well as seeing the different kinds of vehicles instead of everything showing up as a car. I had a motorcycle pass me earlier today and it showed as a motorcycle on the screen and I also had a pedestrian show up on the screen while I was stopped at a crosswalk. Blind spot monitoring seems to work well. The animation on the screen when doing an auto lane change is also much more fluid and seems like a nice touch. Oh and now I can see basically all of the lanes on the screen instead of just the adjacent lanes. I was just driving on the Garden State Parkway and there were 5 lanes showing up on my screen which coincided with the 5 actual lanes that were on that section of the parkway.

Traffic info on the map does seem easier to read now as well and I’m liking having the navigation directions on the left side of the screen.

Overall I’m quite happy with the update so far but there is definitely room for improvement. I experienced a crash when I tried to show my wife the Atari games and had to reboot. The web browser just hasn’t worked at all about 1/3 of the time and requires a reboot to get it working again. Haven’t had a chance to test if summon works any better now but I plan on giving that a test run tomorrow.

Autopilot is definitely more useful now. For the first time my 3 allowed me to do an auto lane change on route 1 in NJ. This was not possible at all in previous versions. I have yet to encounter a road with multiple lanes that does not allow auto lane change since updating to version 9.

As others have reported the vehicle avatars around your car on the screen can be a bit glitchy. I’m hoping this is just the cameras still calibrating and it will get better. I’ve had a lot of instances where the car avatars on the screen look like they’re going to side swipe me when they’re clearly a normal distance away. The vehicles around you also tend to dance a lot when stopped at a traffic light. Seeing the cars behind you is pretty cool as well as seeing the different kinds of vehicles instead of everything showing up as a car. I had a motorcycle pass me earlier today and it showed as a motorcycle on the screen and I also had a pedestrian show up on the screen while I was stopped at a crosswalk. Blind spot monitoring seems to work well. The animation on the screen when doing an auto lane change is also much more fluid and seems like a nice touch. Oh and now I can see basically all of the lanes on the screen instead of just the adjacent lanes. I was just driving on the Garden State Parkway and there were 5 lanes showing up on my screen which coincided with the 5 actual lanes that were on that section of the parkway.

Traffic info on the map does seem easier to read now as well and I’m liking having the navigation directions on the left side of the screen.

Overall I’m quite happy with the update so far but there is definitely room for improvement. I experienced a crash when I tried to show my wife the Atari games and had to reboot. The web browser just hasn’t worked at all about 1/3 of the time and requires a reboot to get it working again.

Sounds generally nice. I don't have any AP issues on my normal drives, but I guess I'll run the update if it ever gets pushed to me. Hard to be remotely excited after they pulled nav on autopilot, though.

For those who got v9 39.5 for the M3 last week, must have been some fix, as I just got another v9 update this time to 39.6. 39.5 to 39.6 took 10-minutes. Didn't have to go to car-- as I completed upgrade strictly on the ios app.
I got 39.5 last week and so far no alerts to go to 39.6 yet. Having driven about 140 miles on V9, the BSM renders still bounce around - bordering on useless (literally hundreds of cars have driven through me or bounced off my sides).

• Helpful
Reactions: RBowen
Is there a way to disable map updates via WiFi but keep update downloads enabled? I wanna use my phone's hotspot but also not use up all the hotspot data.
Note V9 requires newer maps for full AP performance.

Tesla is deploying more detailed maps to improve AP performance, and, if you aren’t receiving new map updates, you are likely missing out on incremental AP performance improvements.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Twiglett
Got notification at 4am that another update was available. Checked router logs and it seems as though the car took the liberty of downloading the 500MB update while I slept :eek:

The whole update took about 14 minutes. I was on 39.5 and this update was 39.6 - I was surprised it wasn’t 39.6.1 but maybe that .1 update is for the S/X. Haven’t driven it yet so not sure of any noticeable changes.

This whole time I thought it didn't start downloading until you accept the update. Man I hope I get it soon.

Once you receive the update notification it’s already downloaded to the car and ready to install. 2018.39.6 downloaded to my 3 at least 30 minutes before I got any update notification as confirmed by Google WiFi.

Some additional functionality I was not aware of until I saw it mentioned on reddit; with version 9 you can now slide your finger up and down on the music icon in the dock to expand or collapse the music menu. This works the same way as adjusting the temperature in version 9 by sliding your finger to the left or right of the current temperature. It’s a nice little improvement and does make resizing the music menu much easier while driving.