Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course, as I imagined, I got the notice for the new update this morning but am out of town until Thursday.

Trying to decide if I should ask my wife to run the update or wait until I get back. I have heard Tesla has pulled updates in the past if not installed - does anyone have concrete knowledge and how long after the notice they pull it?

I am concerned if I asked my wife and the update fails. I know it's a small likelihood (although happened to me before), but don't want her blaming herself if it does happen or having her deal with Tesla.

Tell her to install it. I got my notification on Friday while I was in San Jose. Got back tonight and the update was gone. A little annoying; wish they sent a message via the app that the update was pulled. I was excited to update when I finally got home after a long ass day and got the rug pulled out from under me. Oh well.

Reactions: Hans L
Has anyone else had to re-format the USB drive for the dash cam multiple times? Mine has 'broken' twice now. Once after about 2 days of initially installing 39.6, and then again after installing 39.7.

Each time this happens, the camera shows a gray x on the model 3 UI. I tried rebooting the car, pulling the drive, and moving between usb ports. The only thing that fixes it is completely reformatting it and starting fresh.

Are the .REC files a result of having 2 partitions? I notice them in the root directory as well. Is there a negative for having those show up?

I have no idea whether it causes problems or not. However, it did not create those files when I had a single partition and no music on the drive.
I have a single partition and I am getting those files as well.

I've been away so have not been able to drive with V9 yet. Do other people see this as well?

This is very disappointing. Lane changes were already too slow and useless in L.A. traffic on V8, if it is even slower now, there is no point of even trying to use it anymore. We're not Florida retirees, I don't want the perpetual turn signal.
Actually it feels more natural now. Before it would leave the indicator on for too long. Now it goes off as soon as it gets centered in the lane, much better.
The indicate then move is only slightly longer and again feels more natural.
It feels more like it’s a relaxed person doing it rather than a drugged person who wasn’t paying attention :)

Yes, the display of other vehicles is very jittery, and vehicles to the sides tend to disappear and reappear, in addition to ping ponging around, even when at a full stop. I also have yet to see a pedestrian or bicycle show up. I thought for sure I’d see this bike, but it never showed up, even as I slowly passed. Do you have to be running them over to see them??

View attachment 343974
The display only shows objects in the driving lines. I've never seen it show parked cars, etc. This doesn't mean that Autopilot doesn't see them or wouldn't react to them if their trajectory was into your path. It most assuredly is tracking all of that. It just isn't displaying it on the screen.

The display only shows objects in the driving lines. I've never seen it show parked cars, etc. This doesn't mean that Autopilot doesn't see them or wouldn't react to them if their trajectory was into your path. It most assuredly is tracking all of that. It just isn't displaying it on the screen.

Neural Networks

FWIW, the expert analysis on AP2's neural nets is that the display view is simply a separate set of outputs from the neural net, solely for the cosmetic purpose of visualization. It's not the final data your car uses to make driving decisions.

Side question...

V9 is still EAP correct so we are only utilizing 4 of the 8 cameras on the car? Per the specs for a new car 2.5 hardware I presume.
Why doesn't Tesla let EAP utilize all 8 cameras now but still keep it EAP

Just wondering?

It does use all 8 cameras now. There is a video on one of the threads proving that all 8 cameras are in use. This clearly makes EAP better than it was but as I understand it the new neural network has to earn again some things that the old one had already learned.

Yeah I do recall Tesla saying a while back that EAP would only use 4 cameras and FSD would use all 8. They've obviously changed their plans on how the cameras are going to be utilized.

Funny how human psychology can work. I was fine waiting for the update, but since I got the update notification on Friday while out of town and had it subsequently pulled from my car before I could get back home to install it, I’m actually shockingly upset for no real rational reason. Pretty silly, but having a new toy waved in front of my face and having it snatched from me is pissing me off while waiting for the update wasn’t affecting me at all, even though functionally there has been no real change in my life beyond a notification on my phone, lmao. I can’t even watch V9 videos anymore since it just tears at my imaginary wound and upsets me all over again. Guess I’m not as mature as I thought I was, lol.

Funny how human psychology can work. I was fine waiting for the update, but since I got the update notification on Friday while out of town and had it subsequently pulled from my car before I could get back home to install it, I’m actually shockingly upset for no real rational reason. Pretty silly, but having a new toy waved in front of my face and having it snatched from me is pissing me off while waiting for the update wasn’t affecting me at all, even though functionally there has been no real change in my life beyond a notification on my phone, lmao. I can’t even watch V9 videos anymore since it just tears at my imaginary wound and upsets me all over again. Guess I’m not as mature as I thought I was, lol.
Hey I'm in the boat with you on this. My car is at an auto body shop and I'm not sure when I'll get it back. All access to my car has been disabled by the shop. I'll be bummed if I was supposed to get the v9 update and I missed it. Oh well, after it comes back I'll drive up to the SC and see if they'll download it for me.

That’s not a 39.7 bug. It’s across many Teslas right now. I still have 36.2 and I have the slacker bug. Called my service centre and they said many people are complaining about it. Think it’s server side
Slacker bug? Where it doesn't load after the car is powered down and you have to tap the album art to restart? I'm also losing the auto temp on HVAC with the update.

Reactions: Anner J. Bonilla
Noticed some weird behavior after the update during auto lane changes.

If I initiate a lane change with a car firmly in the blind spot, the lane line turns red until the car is far enough behind, at which point the lane change is completed successfully (this is great).

However, if I initiate a lane change with a car further back / behind the blind spot, but not super far back (call it a medium-aggressive scenario), the car will also show the red lane lines but then brake. It will then let up on the brake and complete the lane change successfully if given time. This is replicable.

Is this somehow part of the blind spot warning system interfering with autopilot? Any other ideas? Would be nice if the car would accelerate a few mph above the set point to overtake when necessary for a lane change; this behavior is borderline dangerous if someone is on your tail.

I could turn off blind spot warning to see if it fixes the issue, however I’d prefer to still have the safety feature. I thought it was supposed to change the lane lines red and perhaps vibrate the wheel, but don’t understand why there would be braking...

Reactions: Pkmmte
I've had a lane change delay, begin, and then abort twice now. Both times on local roads with very uneven pavement. They also both had large trees and bushes in closish to the road, and I was going from inside lane to outside lane both times. Unsure if it was unsure about continuation of the lane divining line (thus thought I was entering an intersection) or was unsure if there was a vehicle because the vegetation was confusing it?

A few other times on local roads I've found it hesitating for long periods or just flat out refusing to initiate a lane change. Always on narrower, "messy" environment types of roads.

Some additional functionality I was not aware of until I saw it mentioned on reddit; with version 9 you can now slide your finger up and down on the music icon in the dock to expand or collapse the music menu. This works the same way as adjusting the temperature in version 9 by sliding your finger to the left or right of the current temperature. It’s a nice little improvement and does make resizing the music menu much easier while driving.
This works for all menus. If you have the web browser on and you swipe your finger on music it will open music full screen.
If you go swipe up the App Icon it will use the last opened app and open the web browser full screen.

Also fewer attempts to dive off the highway at exits.

Hmm. I found that my car was way more aggressive about diving into exit lanes followed by abruptly serving back into the original lane when it picks up the lines again. It never took an exit but was swerving quite a bit. It used to do a similar behavior but it was smoother and less aggressive in the past.
I do agree that autopilot otherwise seemed better but was disappointed in the exit behavior.
I do notice that more and more roads are painting the short dashed lines across off and on ramps. Hopefully this will become standard. AP does fine when painted.

Noticed some weird behavior after the update during auto lane changes.

If I initiate a lane change with a car firmly in the blind spot, the lane line turns red until the car is far enough behind, at which point the lane change is completed successfully (this is great).

However, if I initiate a lane change with a car further back / behind the blind spot, but not super far back (call it a medium-aggressive scenario), the car will also show the red lane lines but then brake. It will then let up on the brake and complete the lane change successfully if given time. This is replicable.

Is this somehow part of the blind spot warning system interfering with autopilot? Any other ideas? Would be nice if the car would accelerate a few mph above the set point to overtake when necessary for a lane change; this behavior is borderline dangerous if someone is on your tail.

I could turn off blind spot warning to see if it fixes the issue, however I’d prefer to still have the safety feature. I thought it was supposed to change the lane lines red and perhaps vibrate the wheel, but don’t understand why there would be braking...

I’m guessing Tesla hasn’t programmed the cars to exceed the set AP limit for lane changes, or to close the set distances the car in front of you to create space for a lane change yet.

If you manually accelerate (press the accelerator) to force the car to speed up and create space, will it execute the auto lane change then?