Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Base on the picture, this looks like a consolation prize after taking away the user customizable 2 windows.

Version 9.42 is more customizable than its prior V9 but it still has not fully restored V8 customization.

This limited customization seems to be: you can have anything on top in the place of the map as long as the bottom is media.

That means you lose the map if you place anything else on top (because you can't place the map down at the bottom as the media is there.)

Prior to V9, you can mix and match any way you want.

Version 9.42 is not a perfect solution to restore the customization but it's a quick good step.

At least, Tesla does listen to its whiners (including me) and that's a good thing!
To me this seems like a quick fix probably with a more extensive recoding to address user complaints to come later.

Reactions: neroden
Yes, that thought has crossed my mind a few times. I've been thinking that the Amish folks got it right. They are at the opposite end of the technology spectrum, yet have the perfect autopilot. I've never heard of a horse causing a buggy wreck. It always stays perfectly on the road in any weather with no white lines needed, doesn't need cameras or sensors. :rolleyes:

Now watch, someone is going to go find an image of a buggy wreck.:D
Buggy crashes becoming growing hazard in Amish country

Why couldn't they just make the window layout a setting in the control panel?

Either the classic look or floating windows.

The apps themselves don't care about how the window manager works, it is transparent to them.

My guess is true split screen is too big a difference from a floating app to make it a single code base for both landscape (3) and portrait (S/X) screens.

We need to complain less and look at this in context. Tesla listened and gave us 90% of what we asked for back (on top of the other v9 enhancements). My Honda Odassey still has a crap split non-touch laggy screen that kinda of not works and never got better. There is 0% chance it would be fixed even though it is way worse then any issue Tesla has.

Let’s move on and count our blessings.

We need to complain less and look at this in context.
They spoiled the customer base by listening and (mostly) making reasonable decisions. Now, when we find useful things taken away, we make a fuss about it.

As customers, we could use a little more transparency and insight into what's going on with their development process. And if I let myself dream on a little, a public issue tracker with feature voting and team comments would be fantastic.

What is with this rear camera fetish...? If I have the camera up for more than 5 seconds on the highway I'd have a freak'n panic attack. Its only up while backing up, which I do appreciate. Granted, I don't really like the limitations on dual apps like we had before, but I just don't get the rear camera $itch fest.
Maybe we should flood tesla support with calls to complain that they spend time working on features we never use instead of improving autopilot. If more people call to say they don’t need to pin camera on top, will tesla remove it again?

Thanks for the pic.

UGH they just HAD to keep the window afloat.

I really wish they'd allow for a full-width static option.

What beardedbro said "I really wish they'd allow for a full-width static option."

"That's what she said."
- Michael Scott

But seriously- it's not that the floater isn't big enough. It's more so that for a bunch (many? most?) of S/X drivers, the camera view has become an integral part of the driving experience. So much so, that it'd be better, in my view, for Tesla to acknowledge that and at least provide the option to keep the camera feed static. The floating nature of the window indicates that it won't be given priority "sticky" status that I feel is deserved. Just my opinion.

You could always Buy a GM, Ford, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota... where it isn't even an option. This Rear View Camera View is NOT the norm, someone did a poll on the Facebook group and the use of this was the Minority by a good amount.
Basically the Drive on Nav, FSD, everything future needs the Maps up, there is only so much processing power available.

The issue is: removing functionality that was a selling point when purchasing a $150k car.

I'm super excited for all of you AP2.x car owners that can look past the diminishing of the UI while hyper-focusing on the AP improvements.
Unfortunately for the rest of us, we would just like the functionality to remain that we already had.

I don't need the GD media player to pop-up over half the screen every time I get in the car. Stay closed until I choose to open it.
I don't need the Controls to always open to the Quick Controls tab, when there's nothing in there that I normally adjust. Leave it how it was; where it always went back to the last tab you were in.
I don't need the map open 100% of the time. I know where I'm going. I would however like to keep useful information displayed; and dare I say, two different sources of useful information at the same time.
Monochrome may be the cool new retro hipster way of displaying a UI, but it makes it more difficult to quickly glance at the screen while driving; spending more time with your eyes off the road. I can barely tell if my suspension is in [Standard] or [Low] with a glance now.
Etc, Etc, Etc.....

I don't leave my camera on, but I support those folks, because they at least are willing to say something. Add features, don't take features away....

Last edited:
There are some very entitled Tesla owners here, it’s amazing how nit picky they can be. That their opinion speaks for all of us. I like the stack, I wasn’t a fan of the camera on the button but it didn’t ruin my life like it did to some here. I think its awesome they listened and moved it back on top...but they still complain.

Maybe Tesla is working on something down the future that this UI works better with...we don’t know everything, they know a lot more. Happy compromises are happy.

Are you serious? Why are you and so many others trashing people for complaining about features that were neutered or removed in new software versions? This type of toxicity is the reason why I only drop into these forums once in while to get information on major updates or the latest insights in the autopilot system (from actual technical contributors, I might add).

The word "entitled" is so abused in mainstream culture these days - people use it simply as a slur against a desire that does not match their own. You ought to recgonise that owners are *entitled* to this UI fix because this is what we paid for. When I went to see the car in the showroom, the representative showed me that you could customise your active windows and specifically pointed out that the rear view camera would be useful in the top half of the screen. I personally have come to rely on combination of camera on top, maps on bottom. Simply hacking the UI to do any window on top and media player on bottom is neither an equivalent nor acceptable replacement, if I understand correctly what was done in this new version.

It's completely fine if you weren't impacted by the UI changes. But you have no business belittling owners who were and are complaining about it. We were *advertised* and *sold* window customisation functionality and it is now gone.

Requested a Firmware Push for 2 of my Xes today from Service Center,

Both received 2018.40. It appears that Service Centers can't really push 42. Now just making sure they're connected to wifi, to get the update.

Requested a Firmware Push for 2 of my Xes today from Service Center,

Both received 2018.40. It appears that Service Centers can't really push 42. Now just making sure they're connected to wifi, to get the update.

Service Centers, Mobile Techs, etc. are purposely kept behind to stop people from continuously calling and asking for firmware updates.

My guess is true split screen is too big a difference from a floating app to make it a single code base for both landscape (3) and portrait (S/X) screens.

They still have split screen code. When you're doing low speed parking in reverse, you can tap the parking sensor icon to get exactly the old split screen with full-width camera on top and parking sensor display on bottom.

They can do this if they want to. They just don't want to because some UX designer is staking their next promotion on this being the best design.

This seems a bit hyperbolic. You wanted the camera on top, they gave you the camera on top. About 2 weeks later. Once you have this set up, it looks to be essentially identical to how it was in 8.x. I’m not seeing how that’s “worse” than not being able to have the camera on top at all.

It does not look anything like 8.x, except for the 8.x configuration with camera on top and music on bottom, which is not the configuration most people asking for this feature were using. I think most of us (myself anyway) drove with camera on top, nav on bottom most of the time.

The issue is: removing functionality that was a selling point when purchasing a $150k car.

This.

Tesla is playing a dangerous game by selling a durable good and then changing it after the sale without giving the purchaser any option to not accept the change. If you were to buy a refrigerator with french doors and then have it changed to a side-by-side layout by the manufacturer later, with no choice in the matter, would you be OK with that? Durable goods are expected, and I would venture to guess though IANAL, probably required by law at least in some places, to not involuntarily take away features that were present at the time of sale, at least not without very good reason (e.g., safety or court order).

Let's all hope that we don't wake up tomorrow in a house whose floor plan was changed by the builder overnight during an update without warning.