Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.12.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same. I've also noticed that quite often the car in adjacent lane becomes the trace car (mostly when there is no substitute ahead my me). I do understand the awareness of the cars joining from the on-ramp, but this should not be happening when I am just traveling in the regular traffic lane. Constant micro adjustments of speed or phantom braking takes the fun away from using either TACC or AP.

It is on 8.5 by the way.
I agree whole heartedly. I know LA traffic is a challenge for AP also, but the DFW area is very dense and has huge freeway changes and overpasses lots of construction and NoA doesn’t seem to do so well here. I think this is why some people say it works fine for them and others not so much.
Very different driving styles and city’s make a hug difference IMO to the experience.
Just my thoughts

Reactions: arcus
I agree whole heartedly. I know LA traffic is a challenge for AP also, but the DFW area is very dense and has huge freeway changes and overpasses lots of construction and NoA doesn’t seem to do so well here

... it has been hard enough keeping up with the construction changes there as a human driver, so I'm cutting the AP some slack on this one in the DFW area.

Reactions: quickstrike12
Do you happen to know maps signature ?
Using the "software" menu item in the configuration of the car.
You got the actual firmware version and the map ID installed.

IMG_2465.jpeg

Last edited:
I was in the first batch that got .12. I am definitely not an early access member... in fact I'm usually towards the tail end of updates. This one definitely was my lucky one. I've got an MCU1 and AP2. Faux Sentry Mode, no Advanced Summon, and it DOES have NoA w/o confirmation. I've had it for a couple of weeks and it's been great. Zero complaints.

Does your web browser work?

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
This. MCU1 just isn't powerful enough to handle V9.

Its Geekbench 3 scores are as fast as a 2011 MacBook Pro, which runs every version of macOS except the latest, runs modern web browsers like Chrome and Firefox easily, etc. It is not a slow CPU by any stretch of the imagination, and all it has to do is control a few simple outboard devices over USB and, if enabled, stream camera footage to a flash drive. Tesla ought to be able to handle that easily on circa 2000 hardware, forget circa-2011 hardware.

The problem is not that the chip is slow. The problem is that Tesla:
  • is either not gathering proper metrics, or is not doing proper analysis of those metrics before rolling out updates, or both,
  • is not doing proper automated testing, and
  • is not doing proper manual QA testing.
Period. It's time that folks quit blaming the hardware and put the blame squarely where it belongs — on incompetent engineering managers who are more concerned about hitting arbitrary deadlines and release cadence bulls**t than on shipping an actual quality release.