Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe it's only available if you have a "P" car.

New Acceleration Mode is: “For easier access, we have moved the Max Battery Power button to a new Acceleration mode. To enable Max Battery Power select the “+” level under Controls > Driving > Acceleration. To cancel at any time, change the acceleration mode to another level”.

In addition to Chill, Sport, and Ludicrous there is now a fourth button identified as “Ludicrous+”. Enabling Ludicrous+ brings up a “Max Battery Power” button which must then be enabled to condition the battery to a high temperature where it has low impedance – “best for short term acceleration and performance”.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nrazar
Has anyone seen a "red light alert/warning" with .5 software? The update features says it "may warn you if you are about to run a red light when on autopilot." I haven't received any kind of warning and have pushed it close a couple of times before disabling autopilot and braking. Have not seen the little "light" symbol that @verygreen showed in his hacked version (and I realize what he sees is not what we are receiving). Just wondering if anyone has seen it/what it looks like/how well/often it works.

I tried, but without any success.

Hi All,

I have noticed 2019.8.5 and its predecessor 2019.8.3(?) the HPWC will not open the charge port.
I have hard rebooted the car twice - no change.
The HPWC from my wife's car barely reaches (10 feet away) it does not open my charge port but does open
her Model S charge port 10 feet away while I am trying to open the X.
Both HPWC are Gen 2 and one of them is the black Elon autographed model.

The UMC does not open the charge port either - So it (almost) has to be the 2019.8.5 software...

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: OnBass
I believe it's only available if you have a "P" car.

New Acceleration Mode is: “For easier access, we have moved the Max Battery Power button to a new Acceleration mode. To enable Max Battery Power select the “+” level under Controls > Driving > Acceleration. To cancel at any time, change the acceleration mode to another level”.

In addition to Chill, Sport, and Ludicrous there is now a fourth button identified as “Ludicrous+”. Enabling Ludicrous+ brings up a “Max Battery Power” button which must then be enabled to condition the battery to a high temperature where it has low impedance – “best for short term acceleration and performance”.

I have a P but didn't pay for ludicrous. So I have the same options but Insane and Insane + instead of ludicrous and ludicrous+

My car refused to connect to wifi AGAIN on 2019.8.4. I went through a fresh round of powering off, rebooting, deleting configurations, turning wifi off and on and eventually it connected. Am I the only one with this problem or is everyone on 2018.8.5 and perfectly fine now? Here's hoping I get .12 sooner rather than later that allegedly will allow me to 'check for software updates.'

Success. Just got it to work for the first time on 2019.8.5, AP2.5. Approached light at 35 mph with AP active. I got the red hands on wheel, and little red stoplight symbol (first time I’ve seen that). The car auto braked relatively late and I assisted to stop in time.

Is the auto braking part of 8.5? I'm on 8.4 and the red light warning has worked every single time Ive tried it (probably 6-7 tries so far), but it just does an audible alert and warning on the instrument cluster, no actual braking.

Downloaded 2019.8.5 yesterday in my 3/15/2018 built S75D, AP2.5 MCU2 running Chill mode most of the time. NOA getting better compared to prior major releases. Autosteer seems about the same, maybe a little bit better where lanes widen for ramps or merge together - does not make as much of a deliberate or quick centering adjustment as it’s now a little smoother. TACC is interesting. I can see why some people think it’s worse because of increased phantom breaking, but I interpret this as an incremental attempt to be more cautious avoiding other vehicles with lane creep or sudden lane intrusion. Yes, phantom breaking is annoying when it happens, but compared to a few releases back when TACC seemed to ignore or not react as you might expect to lane intrusion, it is certainly now reacting - maybe just over-reacting. For example, this morning at 10am I was headed north on I-80 in the middle lane at 70mph. I passed a semi in the right lane and it’s shadow extended into my lane and Neo did a hard auto-break and would not pass the truck that was doing about 50mph. I had to initiate a lane change to the left lane to get by. If I had someone tailgating, there would have been a rear collision without heroic efforts to avoid it. If incremental improvments continue then I would expect this will balance-out and eventually be great over time, but until then I will use some of these features sparingly in more of a test mode until I am more comfortable with the reliability and consistency. I believe in Tesla, and as long as they can survive financially, I think they will eventually get this to work the way most people would expect.

My car refused to connect to wifi AGAIN on 2019.8.4. I went through a fresh round of powering off, rebooting, deleting configurations, turning wifi off and on and eventually it connected. Am I the only one with this problem or is everyone on 2018.8.5 and perfectly fine now? Here's hoping I get .12 sooner rather than later that allegedly will allow me to 'check for software updates.'

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think 2019.12 allows you to "check for software updates" but it does provide a progress bar when updates are being downloaded (after you've been selected through the usual process). It also discloses a lot more information about your Navigation maps (like the revision number). I guess we will know once a newer firmware comes out (I'm looking at you Enhanced Summon).

Reactions: mazeminder
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think 2019.12 allows you to "check for software updates" but it does provide a progress bar when updates are being downloaded (after you've been selected through the usual process). It also discloses a lot more information about your Navigation maps (like the revision number). I guess we will know once a newer firmware comes out (I'm looking at you Enhanced Summon).
Oh so in the release notes where it says "you can see when there is a new software package available to be downloaded" it just means whenever you get staged a new release?

Noticed another difference from 18.50.6 today. Summon now makes it up driveway curbs! I had to move the car so a friend could get in her garage yesterday, and managed to summon it out of the driveway, across the street, and partially up the neighbors driveway, and then back up her driveway. These curbs rise like 3 inches, not the 1 inch bumps at my house.

• Informative
Reactions: StefanSarzio
75D AP2 MCU1 2019.8.5

Sunday 4/6 completed first leg of my 6 day 1500 mile golf road trip. Left Sunday afternoon on 6 hr. NoA drive to Nashville. Best yet by far. Zero phantom breaking, zero aborted lane changes. Lane changes without confirmation was flawless. Sure there where a couple of times when I would have moved out of the passing lane sooner but probably would have felt the same if you were driving. I did cancel a couple of changes out of the passing lane because I could see it was going to almost immediately then pass the car ahead.
After a round of golf Monday morning we're off to Atlanta. My brother in law was extremely impressed with the decisions NoA made and how smoothly it executed. Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to have him drive to Atlanta so I have the perspective of a passenger.

I'll update post tomorrow.

Last edited:
Noticed another difference from 18.50.6 today. Summon now makes it up driveway curbs! I had to move the car so a friend could get in her garage yesterday, and managed to summon it out of the driveway, across the street, and partially up the neighbors driveway, and then back up her driveway. These curbs rise like 3 inches, not the 1 inch bumps at my house.
That would be wonderful if it worked on mine. My 1" lip into the garage has defeated summon on both of my Ss for the last 2 years. I am now on 2019.12 so will give it a whirl tonight!