Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely right. We will be charging 40kWh of battery at the cheap Octopus GO rate and will use 95% of it during winter instead of the peak rate. With enough battery, you can go off grid for months with the free solar. The key is calculating the solar and battery you need with your own consumption profile. All our profiles will be very different.

10 kW for 4 hours solid 😀

Octopus GoGo

Be careful with installers I had a company sell me a solution and they didn't have the stock and made out they had just to get my deposit and didn't tell me that there was a shortage on batteries. They were called first 4 solar be aware I ended up getting my deposit back. They then said upon cancellation that they would have installed the panels only then I would have to wait for the batteries and them to be installed once back in stock. I kept asking all the time about battery shortages and they wouldn't answer anything until I cancelled the order. So be aware that most companies cannot get the stock and promise the earth just to fill there order books. Very naughty typical sales strategy I have decided not to bother now with the 2 year cap because the payback would have been around 10 years opposed to 5. I ordered 16 panels 9kwh giv energy battery plus a 5k battery.
Interesting and sorry to hear about that. There are at least a couple of us on here waiting on installs from that company together with the associated delays. Mine is now due late October with the order placed early April. The comms have been very poor but I've hung in there as the price for the gear is now remarkably good value. I also know that they can do a good job when they eventually get to you.

It's a pity they messed up with their comms because the issues they face are industry wide i.e. very limited supplies, particularly on the battery side. They obviously preferred to hold on to deposits rather than communicate the issues and risk the bad reviews that inevitably came. I certainly wouldn't have risked my business like that but seems that's how they propose to get through it. I'm advised that the supply side is easing very slighly so hopefully our installs will go as planned - better late than never. But the jury is still out.

Can I ask when you ordered and subsequently cancelled please? No worries if you prefer not to say. Cheers.

Yes, and don't forget the immersion and car granny charger; I don't think I'll be able to use even one, let alone both of my 7.4kW car chargers.😁
Been trying to get a reasonable quote in Berkshire area for 3 months now, only 2 out of 10 installers have come back to me. One quoted stupid money (nearly £20k for 12 panels, 6kwh battery and inverter), the other wanted me to pay a massive deposit and wait. A year for install. I’m not looking for a bargain but a good system that’s clever enough to adapt to my needs, installed by a reotable company within 6 months. Any recommendations?

Been trying to get a reasonable quote in Berkshire area for 3 months now, only 2 out of 10 installers have come back to me. One quoted stupid money (nearly £20k for 12 panels, 6kwh battery and inverter), the other wanted me to pay a massive deposit and wait. A year for install. I’m not looking for a bargain but a good system that’s clever enough to adapt to my needs, installed by a reotable company within 6 months. Any recommendations?
I'm putting it on ice for 6 months, let the current backlog clear and installers will be keener for work again.

Interesting and sorry to hear about that. There are at least a couple of us on here waiting on installs from that company together with the associated delays. Mine is now due late October with the order placed early April. The comms have been very poor but I've hung in there as the price for the gear is now remarkably good value. I also know that they can do a good job when they eventually get to you.

It's a pity they messed up with their comms because the issues they face are industry wide i.e. very limited supplies, particularly on the battery side. They obviously preferred to hold on to deposits rather than communicate the issues and risk the bad reviews that inevitably came. I certainly wouldn't have risked my business like that but seems that's how they propose to get through it. I'm advised that the supply side is easing very slighly so hopefully our installs will go as planned - better late than never. But the jury is still out.

Can I ask when you ordered and subsequently cancelled please? No worries if you prefer not to say. Cheers.
Hi I ordered on the 1st August I had the survey done but I felt suspicious that the battery's wouldn't be supplied with my order due to a lot of market speculation on batterie shortages. When asked directly about battery shortages they would not confirm anything they only confirmed there were battery shortages once I said cancel the order. They then said we would install the system without the batteries and then come back at a later date to install the battery's.

Reactions: spon88
Well, after the initial quote and follow up site survey about 10 days ago, my selected installer has gone quiet. No agreed follow up contact with a final quote and spec yet... the promises of having everything in stock and 8 weeks to install is clearly too good to be true...

This has given me time to think and after plugging my own numbers into an Excel sheet after the Energy cap announcement, this just does not seem viable. Even with the future proofing green benefits. I reckon that I'll be in our current home for 10-13y max and the payout is looking about that long for me based on the initial system and quote.

Like @GRiLLA I'm going to sit for a while and see what happens, although for me probably in a couple of years. Will spend the funds on fun stuff instead!

Thanks again for all the great advice on this thread, will continue to lurk.

We had a quote in April which we decided to go ahead with, I have attached the details.
The scaffolding went up today and the install is due next week, unfortunately the only item they could not supply was the Gen 2 inverter, was given the choice to wait for the Gen 2 (probably another 4 months) or go with the Gen 1 which is what we have done.
The only other difference is regarding the iBoost + and iBuddy, I originally had an Andersen A2 charger however it would of been a pain making that solar compatible so we swapped it out for a Zappi, as a consequence I decided I really wanted an Eddi instead of the iBoost so went with that instead.

Our neighbours are having theirs installed at the same time so the company gave us and them a £500 discount which does not show on the original quote attached., the iBoost and iBuddy have to be removed from the invoice, also the Gen 1 inverter costs a little less as well.

I think it is a decent price all in, let me know your thoughts although it is a bit late now! :D

Attachments

• SolarQuote.PNG
    SolarQuote.PNG
    415.1 KB · Views: 94
We had a quote in April which we decided to go ahead with, I have attached the details.
The scaffolding went up today and the install is due next week, unfortunately the only item they could not supply was the Gen 2 inverter, was given the choice to wait for the Gen 2 (probably another 4 months) or go with the Gen 1 which is what we have done.
The only other difference is regarding the iBoost + and iBuddy, I originally had an Andersen A2 charger however it would of been a pain making that solar compatible so we swapped it out for a Zappi, as a consequence I decided I really wanted an Eddi instead of the iBoost so went with that instead.

Our neighbours are having theirs installed at the same time so the company gave us and them a £500 discount which does not show on the original quote attached., the iBoost and iBuddy have to be removed from the invoice, also the Gen 1 inverter costs a little less as well.

I think it is a decent price all in, let me know your thoughts although it is a bit late now! :D
I had similar quote 16x Jinko 410 panels 1x 9.5 kw giv energy battery plus a 5 kwh for around £14,800 installed inc an eddi and bird protection. I dont think some companies make a fortune but then again I don't know the trade prices of the equipment.

Reactions: Jerryjal
Solar definitely worth it, generated 25kwh yesterday , 10kwh went in the car the rest recharged my 8.2kw battery ,ran the house and still exported some to the grid. If my car wasn't already at 80% when i started i could have given it more. I now spend most days of grid except for certain items like electric showers that will still pull from the grid what the battery and solar cant provide.

Inverter threshold.
Does anyone know whether smaller inverters are more efficient at low solar levels than larger ones.
My 5kWh SolarEdge inverter failed a few weeks ago & my installer has fitted a 3.68kWh inverter temporary to keep me going since there is a unbelievably long wait for a 5k model.
The reason I ask is, yesterday was my first day working again & the energy generated was considerably higher than I would expect for the amount of solar, when compared to high solar days in July with the old inverter.
Today is similar in that it’s now totally clouded over & I'm generating 20% of the system max.
Or am I imaging it’s better since I’ve gone five weeks without a working system.

Inverter threshold.
Does anyone know whether smaller inverters are more efficient at low solar levels than larger ones.
My 5kWh SolarEdge inverter failed a few weeks ago & my installer has fitted a 3.68kWh inverter temporary to keep me going since there is a unbelievably long wait for a 5k model.
The reason I ask is, yesterday was my first day working again & the energy generated was considerably higher than I would expect for the amount of solar, when compared to high solar days in July with the old inverter.
Today is similar in that it’s now totally clouded over & I'm generating 20% of the system max.
Or am I imaging it’s better since I’ve gone five weeks without a working system.
I think @Avendit mentioned this in an earlier post. IIRC he dropped the size of his inverters precisely to get more power in less sunny conditions.

Since there are a number of Powerwall owners on this thread, thought I would ask this here rather than start a new thread :)

Just had a Powerwall installed (at last) and trying to set up the Octopus Go in the Utility Rate Plan in the App.

Am I missing something or is there no way to set the Sell Price to 0.00? I don't get any money for export (yet), but the App doesn't seem to like 0.00 so have to set it to 0.01. Is that what everyone else is doing or is there some other way of doing that?

Also my Peak Rate is 13.8p, but the app will only allow 14p (£0.14), is that as near as I can get?

Seems a decent price and haven't overly inflated the individual items like some others seems to be doing recently, if you are willing to share the installer would be interested thanks

Reactions: Jerryjal
Seems a decent price and haven't overly inflated the individual items like some others seems to be doing recently, if you are willing to share the installer would be interested thanks
Hi, thanks for the comment. The company is called Kembla Solar, her is a link to their website.