Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was given a call today by an old friend that knows I actively invest in renewables. I think we are about to hear of SCTYs new strategy (very new to me at least) for penetrating new markets without the massive penetration and acquisition costs. SCTY has partnered with an MLM. www.powur.com.

Good lord!

I always wondered if SCTY can get any worse. The answer always seems to be - yes, it can!

Couldn't Tesla and SolarCity counter with an off-grid battery and solar package directly competing with the utility by financing their own monthly fee? Why bother paying their demand charge if you already have a cheaper alternative utility available since you're only subsidizing the increasingly expensive fossil fuel assets
If *everyone* is charged a demand charge, then yes, this is exactly what happens: solar + battery becomes a compelling offering and people buy it.

If *only people with solar panels* are hit with a demand charge, then the situtation is that the people with large electricity demand and no solar panels are being subsidized by the utility company. These are the people who are the best market for solar + battery, and the utility company subsidy prevents them from switching.

• Informative
Reactions: dakh
Good lord!

I always wondered if SCTY can get any worse. The answer always seems to be - yes, it can!

I cannot say this appears good. In fact regardless if you think this is a good strategy...or a giant pyramid scheme, I wonder about the following.

With the world obviously needing solar for every reason that those perusing this board know, (and those inhabitants of low lying islands know) why are solar stocks declining? Is the whole game so severely rigged?

With this twist in plot, maybe the demand issue discussion will shift away from Tesla to Solarcity. Something does not add up. This to me is anything but 'organic' growth.

With this twist in plot, maybe the demand issue discussion will shift away from Tesla to Solarcity. Something does not add up. This to me is anything but 'organic' growth.

I don't claim to have all the answers, but I believe many of you are seeing a very different picture than I am. If I'm wrong I'd love to be corrected, as my current investment thesis is encouraged by the idea of the MLM, not disheartened.

SCTY stock has been suffering as we were forced to leave Nevada unexpectedly. We are currently also suffering by the overly high delivered cost of each installed KW. The greatest contributor of this elevated cost is due to expanding awareness in new markets. Once the initial cost of penetrating a new market is overcome, the ongoing cost decreases significantly. The MLM effectively operates as an independent and comparatively low cost, risk free source of leads. We pay for leads delivered and converted, thus making the ongoing acquisition cost fixed.

I suppose you have to wonder if being associated with this new MLM firm if there is potential to damage or enhance your reputation. Being more expensive than local installers means reputation is a big thing. I suspect it won't do any harm.

Is there a reason why this Powur thing has just popped up? As far as I can tell SCTY ended the expensive route to leads after 3Q earnings were announced. I almost like the idea of an independent marketing arm that can be effectively laid off as each market comes up to scale, but this seems expensive and unnecessary.

Can someone confirm that this is actually being used in certain markets?

As a solar power inspector, one driving trend I noticed was that when a homeowner bought a solar system, his neighbors would soon follow. I realize that my experience is anecdotal, however, the data substantiates this trend.

It seems to me, this would dovetail perfectly with a well-executed MLM direct selling effort.

I'm imagining explaining the proven values of solar, to a group of neighbors with a working model as a demonstration. Watching a net meter run backwards is a compelling argument.

Can't figure out why anyone would want to join the powur MLM when they could just be an Ambassador.

Let's see - with powur I pay $499 and for each referral that goes solar I get $200. Or I could become a SolarCity Ambassador at no cost and for each referral that goes solar I get $200.

Well for one, most people are likely unaware of the ambassador program. Outside of that, MLMs typically sell the idea of earning revenue on your "downline," also, I believe there is a residual component where converted leads give a very small 20 year residual. I am very bullish on the MLM, if someone has a coherent argument for me to be otherwise I'd love to hear it.

I've never done an MLM personally, but given the number of referrals I've already sent to SCTY, I'm almost debating it. :)

SolarCity (SCTY) Gains as Analysts Sing Praises of New Loan Program

This may be a strong transition in SolarCity's business model.

Tomorrow should be very interesting. A bit confused by the lack of volume. My only guess is that shorts are not expecting the stock to make the next leg up. However, tomorrow is the shareholders meeting, and almost no-one is expecting anything to get announced at it. Also, the shareholders meeting hasn't been mentioned by anyone, aside from the strange fellow from the Tesla shareholders meeting o_O

On top of all of that, this thread has been abnormally quiet for the past few months. Even today, this thread only received 10 posts (from 7 people). Interesting measure of what people are and are not paying attention to.

Maybe we should make a thread specifically for questions for the Solar City shareholders meeting?

Reactions: Tenable and Grendal
You think that guy with the stolen bikes is going to show up? Or maybe he only has TSLA shares.

If the guy doesn't show up, maybe he'll request time with Lyndon, and say he couldn't make the meeting because he was abducted by aliens? Makes about as much sense as him showing up to the Tesla shareholder meeting and saying Solar City stole his bicycles. :confused:

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Tomorrow should be very interesting. A bit confused by the lack of volume. My only guess is that shorts are not expecting the stock to make the next leg up. However, tomorrow is the shareholders meeting, and almost no-one is expecting anything to get announced at it. Also, the shareholders meeting hasn't been mentioned by anyone, aside from the strange fellow from the Tesla shareholders meeting o_O

On top of all of that, this thread has been abnormally quiet for the past few months. Even today, this thread only received 10 posts (from 7 people). Interesting measure of what people are and are not paying attention to.

Maybe we should make a thread specifically for questions for the Solar City shareholders meeting?

Sales cost needs to be solved industry-wide and that's about it. There's nothing else to talk about.

Even these utility roadblocks seem to be winning battles here and there, but the war is over.

When costs(mostly sales) come down for SCTY all revenue will hit the algos and it'll skyrocket. Until then.......the beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.