Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Tesla yesterday - No Sellers Remorse Yet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You and I have *very* different opinions on the definition of "Lots of EV range." As per Toyota's RAV4 Prime web page, "up to 42 miles of EV range on a full charge." Forty two. Miles.

Regarding the rest of your post, it now seems like your primary reasons for even being on these forums are two fold: 1. To pimp your YouTube channel. 2. To try and instigate arguments with other TMC members; you voice your Tesla/Elon distrust, distaste, anger, etc. where ever you can, and often do so in a pot-stirring manner.

While I don't have a problem with guys that want to discuss problems with Elon and/or Tesla in a reasonable manner, those that throw poop just to throw poop can see themselves out.
42 is the answer to the universe though, and it took a long time for the super computer to come up with

Gee I trade my Tesla for a RAV4 Prime and my thread gets locked. Oh well. Congrats to the OP, yes Teslas are fun but I left because of quality issues mainly. That and a bunch of other "lies" from Elon & co.

If you can get a RAV4 Prime, it's the best PHEV on the market IMHO. Lots of EV range, reliability, AWD, etc.
If you no longer have a Tesla, clearly didn't want your Tesla and dislike Tesla and its leader, why are you here? Sounds as though you will be better suited to the RAV4 forums. Nobody here is interested in a RAV4!

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
If the X / S wasn’t available I would have kept the Model 3. If you are used to stiff suspension the ride should be fine. Some love it. Wind didn’t bother me much. It was tire noise. And it depended on the quality of the roads. On smooth roads it was fine. On worn course roads (which is most of them) it was pretty loud. There have been improvement since I had mine. How much it helps I’m not sure. Even the X could be better for the price bracket it’s in. And the refresh is supposed to have improvements as well.
This may have helped with the road noise. (Of course ideally this shouldn’t be needed.)

First, a big THANK YOU to everyone on this forum. Over the nearly three years of 2018 LR RWD M3 ownership the information on this site has been wonderful and the overall atmosphere welcoming and supportive.

A short time ago my wife's 2011 BMW 335D's Check Engine iight appeared. We brought it to the dealership where it's been maintained over the years and they confirmed what I suspected, namely that future repair would likely continue and would be costly. That led to a long look at alternatives including Tesla.

Surprisingly after testing many different brands/models she settled on BMW 330e, a plug in hybrid that provides the instant torque we both enjoy. As I drove her car I began to notice how much quieter it is than my M3, and how the suspension is far more enjoyable and compliant to experience. That led me to notice other things about the M3, specifically the constant noise from tires/road, which was very noticable compared to her new ride. Once I experienced it I couldn't ignore it.

Add to that the need for new tires (28.5K miles on my car), and a very generous purchase offer (at least compared to other dealers) for my M3, and I found myself looking at other cars. To make a long story short, yesterday I sold the Tesla replacing it with an ICE (yes, I know).

What I learned is that Tesla is still the best EV on the planet, but things are changing. I overlooked the typical assembly issues that I experienced - paint/panels/etc, but the biggest factor is the road noise. The M3 windows are frameless, obviously, but that requires near perfect alignment and sealing to avoid wind noise. Sadly even the 2021 model I drove was far noisier than I expected, especially compared to more traditional brands.

That doesn't mean I'm bashing Tesla, far from it. I'm still on the list for the CT, but I've aged in the last few years and priorities have shifted a bit more toward comfort and quiet instead of pure acceleration. That doesn't negate Tesla's other obvious benefits, but I think that Tesla would be wise to place more emphasis on NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) when designing the next level cars.

I think your decision is reasonable. Model 3 is a bumpy ride, sometimes harsh. Insurance is more expensive. Rear seats are too upright for adults and kids carseats and it's difficult to get out of the back seats.

Well, it's been nearly three weeks with the Audi. Some comments about the return to ICE:
  • Gas is expensive and you have to go to the station to get it! I realize how spoiled I became by having a "full tank" every morning without any effort. I don't have enough miles on the ICE to get a good idea of mileage, but if I drive 1000/miles month I will likely spend $100/mo more for gas vs EV.
  • Audi interior is well executed - nice design, high quality materials, some unexpected and welcome features. Radio is top of the line and sound is better than Tesla, but Tesla's direct internet radio clearly has a larger library.
  • Suspension better on Audi - this was another reason for the swap. The Audi is smoother than the Tesla is all the roads where I live, especially so on poor surfaces. I had the 19" wheels on the Tesla, which may have had an impact on ride quality. Still, the Audi soaks up whatever is thrown at it.
Overall, the swap accomplished what I wanted, primarily a quieter less jittery ride. Still, if Tesla addresses NVH levels and upgrades some interior materials I'd consider getting another. I await the CT, but that's likely 2-3 years out.

Glad you found something more to your liking. You provided a lot of info to me when I jumped into Tesla (you should have told me to keep my Camaro, lol.) I definitely miss my ICE 2SS Camaro convertible and will be buying a droptop stickshift again when the microchips return. BEVs are definitely the future, but I want to hang on to the best of the past as well. :) Best of luck to you sir.

Reactions: duanra
Well, it's been nearly three weeks with the Audi. Some comments about the return to ICE:
  • Gas is expensive and you have to go to the station to get it! I realize how spoiled I became by having a "full tank" every morning without any effort. I don't have enough miles on the ICE to get a good idea of mileage, but if I drive 1000/miles month I will likely spend $100/mo more for gas vs EV.
  • Audi interior is well executed - nice design, high quality materials, some unexpected and welcome features. Radio is top of the line and sound is better than Tesla, but Tesla's direct internet radio clearly has a larger library.
  • Suspension better on Audi - this was another reason for the swap. The Audi is smoother than the Tesla is all the roads where I live, especially so on poor surfaces. I had the 19" wheels on the Tesla, which may have had an impact on ride quality. Still, the Audi soaks up whatever is thrown at it.
Overall, the swap accomplished what I wanted, primarily a quieter less jittery ride. Still, if Tesla addresses NVH levels and upgrades some interior materials I'd consider getting another. I await the CT, but that's likely 2-3 years out.
I may be tempted to an RS3 if the M3P does not happen. Great cars!

Enjoy the new car!

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
There are two attributes I won’t give up when getting a new car.
  1. EV - I will never return to an ICE. It’s stinky, it’s polluting, it’s an inconvenience, and ICE vehicles will soon retain their value like a rock skipped across a lake after it sinks under the surface.
  2. Driver assist features - If it can do what AP / EAP / FSD can do today and will be enhanced over time, I’ll take it. Otherwise, it’s a non-starter for me.
So while I appreciate that the Model 3 had deficiencies for the OP and others, moving to a car that doesn’t retain those above attributes seems strange to my thinking. Especially an Audi, which offers a perfectly fine SUV in the eTron and gives you all the leather, buttons, knobs, and paint job preferences that one may desire.

Reactions: TBrownTX
First, a big THANK YOU to everyone on this forum. Over the nearly three years of 2018 LR RWD M3 ownership the information on this site has been wonderful and the overall atmosphere welcoming and supportive.

A short time ago my wife's 2011 BMW 335D's Check Engine iight appeared. We brought it to the dealership where it's been maintained over the years and they confirmed what I suspected, namely that future repair would likely continue and would be costly. That led to a long look at alternatives including Tesla.

Surprisingly after testing many different brands/models she settled on BMW 330e, a plug in hybrid that provides the instant torque we both enjoy. As I drove her car I began to notice how much quieter it is than my M3, and how the suspension is far more enjoyable and compliant to experience. That led me to notice other things about the M3, specifically the constant noise from tires/road, which was very noticable compared to her new ride. Once I experienced it I couldn't ignore it.

Add to that the need for new tires (28.5K miles on my car), and a very generous purchase offer (at least compared to other dealers) for my M3, and I found myself looking at other cars. To make a long story short, yesterday I sold the Tesla replacing it with an ICE (yes, I know).

What I learned is that Tesla is still the best EV on the planet, but things are changing. I overlooked the typical assembly issues that I experienced - paint/panels/etc, but the biggest factor is the road noise. The M3 windows are frameless, obviously, but that requires near perfect alignment and sealing to avoid wind noise. Sadly even the 2021 model I drove was far noisier than I expected, especially compared to more traditional brands.

That doesn't mean I'm bashing Tesla, far from it. I'm still on the list for the CT, but I've aged in the last few years and priorities have shifted a bit more toward comfort and quiet instead of pure acceleration. That doesn't negate Tesla's other obvious benefits, but I think that Tesla would be wise to place more emphasis on NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) when designing the next level cars.
Tesla cars are no longer the best EVs on the planet, but Tesla does have the most ubiquitous and useful charging infrastructure.

Tesla doesn't know how to build cars. Period. It never has. And with Elon Musk at the helm it never will. He doesn't care about quality or customer experience. He doesn't understand service. He does understand money and that's why he happily takes $10,000 for a non-existent feature from worshipping fools. Good for him I say!

Tesla and Musk deserve all the bashings they receive for treating customers like afterthoughts and designing disposable cars. They have a successful equation, making thought-free fanboys take real financial losses by trading up to better, newer tech. Why bother with noise insulation when the fanboys will take a 25% depreciation and just buy another one a couple of years later, and claim again that it's the best car on earth?

After carefully inspecting a Model 3 it's clear Elon Musk has learned nothing from his prior mistakes and has learned even less when it comes to actually building something. Gwynne Shotwell is the reason SpaceX hasn't killed anyone. Imagine how things may have unfolded if Elon were actually in charge of operations. Thank god he isn't, and you all should ask yourself why that is and for good reason.

Congrats on your new BMW. It is superior in every way except the drive train. Tesla suspensions are junk with all of the documented failures. Vehicles have no appreciable noise insulation. There is zero focus on comfort. Rear passengers are treated like afterthoughts, and the rear seat bench does not even properly support one's legs (unless you're a dwarf). The only reason Tesla is successful is because people are willing to throw out everything they liked about cars in order to get an EV.

Reality is far more complex and satisfying.

Last edited:
Tesla cars are no longer the best EVs on the planet, but Tesla does have the most ubiquitous and useful charging infrastructure.

Tesla doesn't know how to build cars. Period. It never has. And with Elon Musk at the helm it never will. He doesn't care about quality or customer experience. He doesn't understand service. He does understand money and that's why he happily takes $10,000 for a non-existent feature from worshipping fools. Good for him I say!

Tesla and Musk deserve all the bashings they receive for treating customers like afterthoughts and designing disposable cars. They have a successful equation, making thought-free fanboys take real financial losses by trading up to better, newer tech. Why bother with noise insulation when the fanboys will take a 25% depreciation and just buy another one a couple of years later, and claim again that it's the best car on earth?

After carefully inspecting a Model 3 it's clear Elon Musk has learned nothing from his prior mistakes and has learned even less when it comes to actually building something. Gwynne Shotwell is the reason SpaceX hasn't killed anyone. Imagine how things may have unfolded if Elon were actually in charge of operations. Thank god he isn't, and you all should ask yourself why that is and for good reason.

Congrats on your new BMW. It is superior in every way except the drive train. Tesla suspensions are junk with all of the documented failures. Vehicles have no appreciable noise insulation. There is zero focus on comfort. Rear passengers are treated like afterthoughts, and the rear seat bench does not even properly support one's legs (unless you're a dwarf). The only reason Tesla is successful is because people are willing to throw out everything they liked about cars in order to get an EV.

Reality is far more complex and satisfying.

Blah blah blah blah...

This thread is so hard to understand for me. The only way it makes sense is that the haters here were driving super posh vehicles and switched to a Tesla, but then found that their Tesla didn't measure up in every category. I wholeheartedly agree with the statement "I will never return to an ICE. It’s stinky, it’s polluting, it’s an inconvenience". My best guess is that some of you didn't buy a Tesla because of BEVs, but because you thought it was a more luxury vehicle than the one you already had.

Reactions: focher
And this statement is objectively false in many categories.
Sharing is caring.

This thread is so hard to understand for me. The only way it makes sense is that the haters here were driving super posh vehicles and switched to a Tesla, but then found that their Tesla didn't measure up in every category. I wholeheartedly agree with the statement "I will never return to an ICE. It’s stinky, it’s polluting, it’s an inconvenience". My best guess is that some of you didn't buy a Tesla because of BEVs, but because you thought it was a more luxury vehicle than the one you already had.
Definitely not in my case. You shouldn't try so hard to understand, it's as plain as the nose on your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.