Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

It is good to keep the water out but what about the wind noise with this accessory ? Is there any improvement ?

Capture d’écran 2022-10-06 à 16.19.06.png

wind nose comes from the glass and you cant reduce it.
FROM OP of this thread:

"
Root cause
The A-pillar is open on the front end. Air can enter from the fender as well as the windscreen area. This causes vortices in the a-pillar / sound that resonates in the a-pillar.
The A-pillar opening is partly closed a by a rubber flap. But this flap is not attached very well and may lose when opening the frunk.
"

FROM OP of this thread:

"
Root cause
The A-pillar is open on the front end. Air can enter from the fender as well as the windscreen area. This causes vortices in the a-pillar / sound that resonates in the a-pillar.
The A-pillar opening is partly closed a by a rubber flap. But this flap is not attached very well and may lose when opening the frunk.
"

i dont have A pillar noise.

Last edited:
Could someone please link to a product they’ve had success with regarding wind noise? I’m at a loss and will try just about anything save for stuffing a hacked up kitchen sponge into crevices of my car.
I was able to significantly reduce wind noise by a series of changes.
In my case, the majority of the wind noise was from the top of both front side windows, at the top.

1) Make certain the rubber seal that is inserted into the roof line, is fully inserted. Mine was dropping down at times in spots.

2) Try to isolate where the noise comes from the most. In my case it was the top rear corner of both windows. You can isolate by several methods. Get an assistant. With a hair drier blow air (no need for heat) on the window, moving from one end to the other. Sit inside and listen. Other methods include temporary tape and drive.

3) If the noise the top of the window, carefully inspect the rubber seal that the window should seat against. If the rubber is bent or otherwise pushed in, you may need to replace. But prior to that, simply move the rubber seal where it seats with a finger to get it restored to stock position.

4) Adjust the window so it's tighter at top, assuming that's where the problem is determined to be.

5) Adjust the door to shut a mill or two tighter overall.

6) Insert a soft rubber spacer to "push" the rubber towards the window.

Best of luck,

Let us know of your progress....

Reactions: jacie6056
Older Model 3s will always have a disadvantage compared to the newer ones with the double thick side glass upgrade.
Absolutely. 2019 model 3, tried all the above, adjusted window angle, checked door seal, applied gummipfledge, had Tesla replace the seal - none of it made a jot of difference. The level of wind noise also seems to vary by the day. I suspect it's the cars build -body flexing depending on outside conditions etc. Given up now, car goes back soon at the lease expiry. I must admit though, it's put me off getting another one as above 70 mph (private road of course) it's quite intrusive and gets annoying. £60k+ car should not do this.

Reactions: Georgesb2 and rlb4
Absolutely. 2019 model 3, tried all the above, adjusted window angle, checked door seal, applied gummipfledge, had Tesla replace the seal - none of it made a jot of difference. The level of wind noise also seems to vary by the day. I suspect it's the cars build -body flexing depending on outside conditions etc. Given up now, car goes back soon at the lease expiry. I must admit though, it's put me off getting another one as above 70 mph (private road of course) it's quite intrusive and gets annoying. £60k+ car should not do this.
Do make sure the frunk stoppers are level and not flexing if you push on left side versus the right side. I found that to be a key factor in wind noise especially if it is windy outside.

On topic of old vs new, I drove my friend's brand new Performance Model Y 2022 and the difference between it and my Long Range Model 3 2020 is massive.
Like going from Hyundai to Porsche
And I bet the 4680 structural battery pack Model Y is even better ... I suppose only exoskeleton design such as of the Cybertruck could be superior to that ... I sure would love a CyberS3XY variants ..

Point is: unless if your car happen to have something really unusual that have happen to it during manufacturing ... odds are whatever you do (within reasonable budget / labor cost) will probably not move the needle by much

So with that out of the way, does anyone know if we can just call Tesla's Part Department and ... buy two front doors? would that 'just work' plug and play or is that incompatible for some reason? also, do we know if the new double panned windshield fits older cars that came with single sheet windshield? Asking out of curiosity but in reality it makes more sense to trade in your car and buy a new one then to go down this path.... but if you could come by a door on a totaled Tesla ...

Reactions: Georgesb2