Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some 2022 Model Ys shipping with MCU3 (AMD Ryzen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly most things will probably work, but no one will guarantee it. A lot of alternators will get pretty close to 15v in the right conditions.
Agree that most items designed to operate off a 12V automotive socket should still work at 15V, especially electronic items (circuits with ICs, transistors, etc.) since those will typically have their own voltage regulator and most will operate internally at a much lower voltage anyway.

Filament based light bulbs may have a shorter life but be brighter. A motorized item like an air compressor may or may not have issues.

I tried a 10 year old cheap Kobalt (from Lowes) compressor (for tires) to inflate my MYLR (with Li-ion "12V" battery) tires and it worked fine. I also tried a much newer Tach Life (from Amazon) and it worked fine to. It sounded like they may have ran a bit faster than usual, but I didn't try again at 12V to quantify it. At least they didn't explode. BTW, the Continental tires on my MYLR are specified at 42 psi but mine were inflated at the Tesla SC to 46psi. I lowered them back down to 42.5 psi.

Reactions: orion2001
Agree that most items designed to operate off a 12V automotive socket should still work at 15V, especially electronic items (circuits with ICs, transistors, etc.) since those will typically have their own voltage regulator and most will operate internally at a much lower voltage anyway.

Filament based light bulbs may have a shorter life but be brighter. A motorized item like an air compressor may or may not have issues.

I tried a 10 year old cheap Kobalt (from Lowes) compressor (for tires) to inflate my MYLR (with Li-ion "12V" battery) tires and it worked fine. I also tried a much newer Tach Life (from Amazon) and it worked fine to. It sounded like they may have ran a bit faster than usual, but I didn't try again at 12V to quantify it. At least they didn't explode. BTW, the Continental tires on my MYLR are specified at 42 psi but mine were inflated at the Tesla SC to 46psi. I lowered them back down to 42.5 psi.
That's good news on the compressor. Was looking into an option for replacing mine. Someone posted that theirs wasn't working and I didn't really want to test it and have it blow up since it will still work fine for my wife's '21 SR Y.

I think since the switch happened at the same time, people assumed they were all tied together. And yes, if you have any 2021 software version, you will not have the heated wiper button in the HVAC control screen until your car updates to 2022.4.5.
Well I went and checked this morning. Lead acid 12 volt battery, no heated wiper park harness, and the software updated to 2022.4.5 and no wiper heater icon (just to be sure that I didn't miss those wires).

So apparently the AMD, Li Battery and heated wipers do go hand in hand and did also during the short reversion window.

So, a little disappointed, of course, but there will always be something new and better around the corner and I have been waiting 4 years to be in the place to get an EV. This one will work fine for me.

Traffic visualizations? Here is what it sees when I am driving around my community. :p

Resized_20220227_090258.jpeg.jpg

🍻

Last edited:
Just got VIN'd a couple hours ago (389XXX), Yahoo! EDD this morning was 2/24-3/22 then bam. Confirmed with Tesla Support over the phone it has AMD Ryzen, Li-ion battery, and All-season tires.
Update after delivery of VIN 389XXX to my home in Bellevue, WA Friday 2/25. Car was made 2/21. Has:

-AMD
-Li-Ion 12v
-Needs the 2022.45 software update but I saw the heated wiper park through frunk.
-A/S tires
-Rear PPF
-Rear spoiler
-Front mud flaps

Did have a few extremely tiny things I put in service for on the initial day for cosmetic. FYI earliest app was March 28th.

Just seen over on the September thread:

It's Freemont by the NF389xxx indication. I believe Austin models will be A instead

And slightly disappointing news, the car is rocking an Intel chip. Not AMD. Just confirmed by the SA.

If true, looks like Tesla may be rolling out the Intel chips again. For @eMahle’s sake (and mine, since I’m expecting a VIN very soon) I hope the SA was wrong. I’m curious if anyone else with a new VIN is seeing the same thing.

Good to know. Hopefully the 389 Intel was bad info from the SA. It still wouldn’t surprise me if Tesla temporarily switches back to Intel a few more times in the coming weeks or even months.
Wasn’t there an email to Tesla employees that Intel and amd would be hit or miss until March or 2nd quarter then it’ll be full AMD? If so we’re coming close to that

Update after delivery of VIN 389XXX to my home in Bellevue, WA Friday 2/25. Car was made 2/21. Has:

-AMD
-Li-Ion 12v
-Needs the 2022.45 software update but I saw the heated wiper park through frunk.
-A/S tires
-Rear PPF
-Rear spoiler
-Front mud flaps

Did have a few extremely tiny things I put in service for on the initial day for cosmetic. FYI earliest app was March 28th.
Did they put on the mudflats and rear PPF at the factory - did you order it that way, don’t remember seeing that as a choice when I ordered mine… what brand and model are the A/S tires?