Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone talk me out of my range anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, a lot of kids on this TMC crowd are quite biased. Just know that the Hater's are gonna Hate, no matter how correct you are. I just go to their profile page, find a recent comment of theirs and Dislike it in return. lol

Wow, people on this board are touchy. Someone just threw a dislike on my recommendation comment from yesterday. And a good day to you too, sir!

Last edited:
As someone who liked to game the mpg meter in my previous Civic Si, I plan to drafter where possible (at a safe distance, where I'd be visible to the truck).

Yes, I have done it a few times. We drove from Houston to Austin and back. The way there had to stop at a destination charger to make it there, the rolling hills and head winds killed the range. On the way back stayed a safe distance behind a big rig that was hauling ass at speeds in the 80's Mph got back to Houston with 32% charge left. Model S 80.

You will be fine. I routinely skip savannah SC on my Tampa to Charlotte trips, which means a leg of about 210 miles in my 90D. I never charge to 100% even for that leg, and I make it just fine.
!

Hi Btrflyl8e, when you say you never charge to 100%, do you typically/ever charge above 90% when making this leg?

BTW.. I really miss your "Tearful Goodbye" thread. It's one of my TMC faves!

It's a good example of why it's not a good idea to start out doing 75 on a leg of a trip that is going to be pushing the distance.

Best advice I have heard in this thread so far.

+1000

start slow, if you see you have range to spare, go ahead and PUNCH IT!

A range of anti-anxiety pills you can take along on your journey, are available:

coincells.jpg

Honda makes some pretty small generators that might fit in your frunk too.. but you can't charge and drive at the same time so you have pull over to use it. You can make your own kind-of-Hybrid this way. Caution, it's really weird pulling up to a gas pump and opening your front hood and looking like you're pouring gas right onto the engine. Freaks people out.

Also, in a real pinch... carry a tow strap. There's a front pull pin you can attach to your car front bumper and ask a trucker to hook you up to his back bumper for a twenty mile stretch, you get Russian style regen. Tesla will do a full 60kW regen for that whole period which gives you enough in the tank to get to a better situation. If you had a Model S 60 a tow for an hour would fill you completely. Which is almost as good as having a portable SuperCharger!

Anxiety!? No, Model S is unstoppable...

Last edited:
The car is really good at telling you how much charge you will have when you get to the supercharger but the navigation is completely worthless. It will have you stop at superchargers just for a 5 minute charge. Then it will take you off the freeway just to cut 1 mile out of your trip.

My advice... Is look at each leg separately and charge extra if you can. Don't follow the minimum they suggest. Then as everyone stated keep an I on your arriving charge and keep it above you comfort zone for me that's 8%. If you fall bellow it just stow down until you see it go back up a couple percentage points. If you ever feel nervous just slow down and put autopilot and relax.

The car is really good at telling you how much charge you will have when you get to the supercharger but the navigation is completely worthless. It will have you stop at superchargers just for a 5 minute charge. Then it will take you off the freeway just to cut 1 mile out of your trip.

This apparently needs to keep being clarified. It is NOT “navigation” that is doing that. It is the feature called “Beta Trip Planner”, which is separate and can be turned off. I have had it disabled ever since it came out because of those kinds of stupid recommendations that it gives. If you want to disable it, go to Controls -> Apps -> Navigation, and then uncheck the box for it.

I consider it a fundamental difference that in a navigation system, I and only I pick the destination, and it is supposed to tell me which turns to take to get there. The Beta Trip Planner will CHANGE your destination to send you to a different place to charge, and you might not have noticed if it is sending you off somewhere weird or even back to where you just left. I don’t ever want that to happen.

Best tip I heard from someone was to save it up early, going slower in the first half to "put some miles in the bank". Later on, if it's going well, and you have margin, you can speed up and use them.

I always follow that same tip that someone posted a while back as well.
I also keep my tires inflated at 2psi (cold) below the stated maximum pressure on the side of the tire for more responsive handling, decreased tire wear, and increased efficiency/range.

In my travels around the Western US over the past few years I have found that the Trip Planner has improved quite a bit. This year it's usually been reliable, though not yet perfect.

The navigation is certainly not "worthless", but definitely could be improved. .
I use the trip planner often, and when used correctly (e.g. to get to the next destination) it's worked just fine. The Nav system could certainly use some improvement, avoiding toll roads would be the biggest improvement.

A small clarification on the trip planner graph on the energy tab: The calculation to determine remaining range that appears on the graph only considers constants. Distance, speed and elevation gain are the only factors built into the estimate of X% range remaining upon reaching the next charging spot. (I do not know what speed factor is used; others here can chime in.)

But variables like wind, precipitation, extreme hot or cold and road resistance are not. And if your average driving speed is greater than the imputed speed, this will throw off the estimate as well.

As others pointed out, EVTripplanner is fabulous to use to plan before you depart home.

My buffer for traveling is not as conservative as the individual above who uses the 30-30 rule. I have made four long trips (and six shorter ones) in a little over two years in an 85. My driving style is at a more relaxed speed, rarely zooming over the speed limits, and frequently keeping my speed about 2-3 MPH beneath because I find in more enjoyable. I generally charge enough to reach my next stop or destination with a buffer between 15-20%. I adjust upwards if it is raining, windy or the temperature is <45.

The other rule that I use is that for any leg > 200 miles, I always start the first 50 miles or so at a slower speed, and compare the actual reserve after an hour to the initial projection. I can always speed up if things look good.

If there's any doubt, find a plan B. Even if it's a 16a j1772 plug at a Dairy Queen 20 miles off the highway. Decide in advance what criteria would cause you to take that option. Takes a lot of stress off to have another option.

It also helps you decide sooner whether to slow down.

Hi Btrflyl8e, when you say you never charge to 100%, do you typically/ever charge above 90% when making this leg?

BTW.. I really miss your "Tearful Goodbye" thread. It's one of my TMC faves!
Aw, thanks! I just saw my old 60 this past Friday at one of the Tesla Road Trip events in Ocala, where she lives now! Stupid feelings for cars, I had a teary moment when I first saw her.

I do usually charge to about 90% but not much more, I get antsy to get on my way before it gets much higher. Plus, my 90D seems to be significantly more efficient (it could just be AP making me drive a little slower?)

Yes, I have done it a few times. We drove from Houston to Austin and back. The way there had to stop at a destination charger to make it there, the rolling hills and head winds killed the range. On the way back stayed a safe distance behind a big rig that was hauling ass at speeds in the 80's Mph got back to Houston with 32% charge left. Model S 80.
I used to almost have to do it in my old 60 for my Tampa to Charlotte trips. Back then I had one leg where it was 171 miles between superchargers, and when your 100% is 198... The first time it was 55° out, and I pulled in to Savannah with 6 miles left! Next time I had 14. Ah, good times!

A small clarification on the trip planner graph on the energy tab: The calculation to determine remaining range that appears on the graph only considers constants. Distance, speed and elevation gain are the only factors built into the estimate of X% range remaining upon reaching the next charging spot. (I do not know what speed factor is used; others here can chime in.).
As far as I know, it's the posted speed limit. However, as you drive the actual is plotted against the estimate so you can adjust your speed (or use a secondary stop to pick up a few miles).

Starting slow is always a good idea.

A range of anti-anxiety pills you can take along on your journey, are available:

View attachment 189374

Honda makes some pretty small generators that might fit in your frunk too.. but you can't charge and drive at the same time so you have pull over to use it. You can make your own kind-of-Hybrid this way. Caution, it's really weird pulling up to a gas pump and opening your front hood and looking like you're pouring gas right onto the engine. Freaks people out.

Also, in a real pinch... carry a tow strap. There's a front pull pin you can attach to your car front bumper and ask a trucker to hook you up to his back bumper for a twenty mile stretch, you get Russian style regen. Tesla will do a full 60kW regen for that whole period which gives you enough in the tank to get to a better situation. If you had a Model S 60 a tow for an hour would fill you completely. Which is almost as good as having a portable SuperCharger!

Anxiety!? No, Model S is unstoppable...

I did everything you said and it worked perfectly. I am also looking into purchasing a small team of sled dogs to eliminate any chance of range anxiety and to provide companionship.