Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry officer, I wasn't speeding. It was my 17.3.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The speed limit indicator isn't perfectly accurate as it uses GPS data and a database.....
Not completely correct. The car primarily uses the camera to detect and read speed limit signs. Secondary, if you turn on a street and there is not a speed limit sign immediately, it uses GPS and database based on previously read speed limit signs on that road from other (or your) Tesla. Thirdly, if no readings have been made by Teslas on that road, it will use GPS and database of known speeds for that road. Finally, if none of the aforementioned apply, it will restrict you to 45MPH on undivided roads.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
So something went screwy with my TACC the other day. I was on a 45 mph road, less than a half mile from the last speed limit sign, turned on the cruise and it set it to 78 mph. This happened while I was on an Interstate overpass where the speed limit is 70 mph on the Interstate, so obviously it used GPS and thought I was on the interstate instead of the overpass. Just for more info, I hadn't driven on the interstate that day at all, 45 mph was the highest sign it would have seen. I immediately noticed it showed the max cruise speed at 78mph, but it still showed the 45mph sign...

Not completely correct. The car primarily uses the camera to detect and read speed limit signs. Secondary, if you turn on a street and there is not a speed limit sign immediately, it uses GPS and database based on previously read speed limit signs on that road from other (or your) Tesla. Thirdly, if no readings have been made by Teslas on that road, it will use GPS and database of known speeds for that road. Finally, if none of the aforementioned apply, it will restrict you to 45MPH on undivided roads.

Is that true on HW2? That doesn't really match with my experience, particularly with consistently failing to catch temporary or recently adjusted speed limits.

Is that true on HW2? That doesn't really match with my experience, particularly with consistently failing to catch temporary or recently adjusted speed limits.
Not on AP2 cars. (The release notes say that the camera isn't used at all at this time, and that they plan to add that in a future update.)
That's true... My post was specific to HW1. Currently HW2 does not use the camera for setting the TACC.

this brings up an interesting point. If you are set to autopilot and you do receive a ticket I'm curious to know if there are any legal loop holes to prevent the ticket from going on your driving record since technically your not in control of the vehicle. Any attorneys in the audience who may have some insight?

Not an attorney but I play one in my real estate career. . . NFW will you get out of a ticket. Slippery slope. . . You are the pilot of the automobile regardless, and while you might think to claim that it was "not in your control," you technically engaged the autopilot system with the settings that created the infraction. . .busted. Wouldn't even try it.

When I say slippery slope, I mean think of the implication of being on autopilot, a camera failing and you, God forbid, run over someone or otherwise injure someone in an accident caused by the system failure. You're on the hook and you're not getting off.

But this thread is about HW2 which is why you were called out on that.
Again....... my apologies....
This thread was about firmware version 17.3.2... I was unaware at the time, that this particular FW version was specific to HW2 cars. I am extremely sorry that this was not completely obvious to me upon initially reading the thread. I will try much harder in the future to do extensively more background research into the specific intent of an OP before attempting to contribute to the community. :D

• Funny
Reactions: Hugh Mannity
This reminds me of that other thread where someone tried to test the law by texting with autopilot active. Given so far we have no legal framework where the driver is not responsible for operating the car, you would still end up liable for a ticket.

And I'm pretty sure almost all ACC systems will have similar disclaimers about speed limits. GPS databases and traffic sign reading are not always 100% accurate.