Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry officer, I wasn't speeding. It was my 17.3.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Officer: What do you mean? You were going 35 in a 25 mile zone.
Driver: I set my Tesla with the latest cruise control update to go the speed limit. I set the car in the 35 MPH zone.
Officer: Yes, but when you entered the 25 MPH zone, your car didn't slow down.
Driver: Oh. Sorry about that.
Officer: Here's your ticket. Have a nice day. And give my regards to Elon and his AP2 team.

Driver: I set my Tesla with the latest cruise control update to go the speed limit. I set the car in the 35 MPH zone.
Officer: Here's your ticket. Have a nice day. And give my regards to Elon and his AP2 team.

That seems to have gone about the way I would have expected it to...

Correct me if I'm wrong, I might very well be as I am only a Model 3 reservation holder and have not been driving Tesla for years but with the new release of AP2, laws have not yet been passed to allow for full autonomous driving and only an enhanced version of autopilot (which you have not stated you have) is to be used on the freeway. Sounds like you are using autopilot that is not yet approved for city streets in exactly that area, city streets. Complaining to Tesla will result in them telling you that exact thing and no reimbursement for ticket.

Reactions: Cloxxki

Which is exactly how the instructions say TACC works. It says that it will not automatically adjust to new speed limits if I recall correctly. Yep; "When you're cruising at the speed determined by Speed Assist, the set speed does not change when the speed limit changes.":
img_20170121_192728-jpg.211574

Though I think I saw someone say that if you pull and hold the stock it will adjust to each and every change as you go through them.

Which is exactly how the instructions say TACC works. It says that it will not automatically adjust to new speed limits if I recall correctly. Yep; "When you're cruising at the speed determined by Speed Assist, the set speed does not change when the speed limit changes."

Although I think the OP was probably joking, TACC and autosteer would work as he told the probably fictitious officer he thought it would (adjust from 35 to 25) if he was on an undivided highway, and had his offset for speed assist set to 0 while using TACC and autosteer together.

Yes, this design shortcoming was in the documentation. But, IMO this violates "reasonable user expectations".

At the very least, the documentation should state a warning; not a note. This is a safety flaw. And, if AP isn't smart enough to adjust to a speed limit change (and why not?), the car should flash a warning that the speed limit has changed; especially so if it's gone down.

If a "Note:" in the instructions for a toaster stated that it would beep when the toast was done, but keep on heating it and possibly cause a fire, would that meet reasonable user expectations?

Reactions: pilotSteve
You obviously have a case to send your ticket into Tesla for re-imbursement. :rolleyes:
this brings up an interesting point. If you are set to autopilot and you do receive a ticket I'm curious to know if there are any legal loop holes to prevent the ticket from going on your driving record since technically your not in control of the vehicle. Any attorneys in the audience who may have some insight?

Technically you are driving. Whether the software is running in the background or manually controlling the car, Elon still tweeted, be careful and made you agree to be in control at all times when accepting the software update. Give it time, they are giving us features before any other car company would, don't abuse it.

Technically you are driving. Whether the software is running in the background or manually controlling the car, Elon still tweeted, be careful and made you agree to be in control at all times when accepting the software update. Give it time, they are giving us features before any other car company would, don't abuse it.
I'm referring more to the AP we should have later on this year when it's supposed to be fully autonomous driving.

I find many roads are incorrectly set in vehicle. I was on a 65mph highway and the vehicle was showing a 45mph limit. Not sure where the vehicle gets this data from but its not always correct.

Just as a little remark... if you are in a car with conventional cruise control but your speedometer is inaccurate (not a common problem but it does happen), and you set your car to what you think is the speed limit (but you are really going faster), you can still get cited. The officer doesn't care whether your speedometer is wrong or not. Even if this whole thread is tongue-in-cheek, I expect we will see this happen with cars trying to automatically recognize speed limit signs, because they are not 100% accurate. (I have seen my MS show the wrong speed limit because it missed a sign).

Reactions: JohnnyG
Just as a little remark... if you are in a car with conventional cruise control but your speedometer is inaccurate (not a common problem but it does happen), and you set your car to what you think is the speed limit (but you are really going faster), you can still get cited. The officer doesn't care whether your speedometer is wrong or not. Even if this whole thread is tongue-in-cheek, I expect we will see this happen with cars trying to automatically recognize speed limit signs, because they are not 100% accurate. (I have seen my MS show the wrong speed limit because it missed a sign).

How many times do you think police and traffic court judges have heard the broken speedometer story?

Yes, this design shortcoming was in the documentation. But, IMO this violates "reasonable user expectations".

At the very least, the documentation should state a warning; not a note. This is a safety flaw. And, if AP isn't smart enough to adjust to a speed limit change (and why not?), the car should flash a warning that the speed limit has changed; especially so if it's gone down.

If a "Note:" in the instructions for a toaster stated that it would beep when the toast was done, but keep on heating it and possibly cause a fire, would that meet reasonable user expectations?

The speed limit indicator isn't perfectly accurate as it uses GPS data and a database that can, at times, have errors. I don't think you'd want to have your car suddenly speed up or slow down on its own because it mistakenly thought the speed limit changed.

Further, there IS an indicator that you are now driving over the limit: if you go over your offset from the speed limit, the speed limit sign on the instrument panel will become larger and, optionally, beep at you. I've seen that work for when TACC passes a speed limit change.