Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As cameras and sensors become more common, I think we might start to see bits of self-driving creep in starting with:

#1: Auto braking when car in front gets too close too quickly.
#2: Cruise control that can change lanes around a slower car.
#3: Auto freeway merge.

Doing those specific scenarios will be a lot easier than the general self driving cars that can handle all conditions.

(Not sure if it will happen in S or X, but I suspect Model 3 could have some of that.)

The text from brianman says there is a haptic response from the steering wheel when the car drifts out of lane. There will be some sort of retrofit for that, if not a completely new steering wheel.

I wouldn't be so sure it requires a new steering wheel. They already have something that can make the steering harder or softer. Perhaps they can use whatever that is to provide the haptic feedback?

Anyone who has used the AC knows that it's possible to vibrate the steering wheel without buying a new one. :) My bets are that something is installed "under the hood" to vibrate the steering column in a manner similar to how the AC on early deliveries caused the wheel to vibrate. At least it can be accomplished without replacing the wheel.

Interesting but I don't need any of these. The only thing that could be useful to me is collision avoidence system. There have been a few close calls for my daily commute on freeway with a lot of slow down and stop and go traffics.

Guys, help me out here. I confirmed my order on September 5 with an expected November delivery date, which was fine with me. On September 6, I was told my order date was moved up from November to late September. I was very ambivalent because I wanted these new features and thought that the later date at least gave me a non-zero chance of getting them (while I didn't mind waiting two more months in any event).

So, now these features are apparently out or are coming out soon. My car will be delivered in 12-15 days. I'm guessing there's no way -- zero percent chance -- that my car (P85) will be equipped with these features. Does anyone think I'm mistaken and that they'll be in my car and other cars that are currently in production and scheduled for late September delivery?

Of course, I'm annoyed that I didn't insist on keeping the originally scheduled November date.

Guys, help me out here. I confirmed my order on September 5 with an expected November delivery date, which was fine with me. On September 6, I was told my order date was moved up from November to late September. I was very ambivalent because I wanted these new features and thought that the later date at least gave me a non-zero chance of getting them (while I didn't mind waiting two more months in any event).

So, now these features are apparently out or are coming out soon. My car will be delivered in 12-15 days. I'm guessing there's no way -- zero percent chance -- that my car (P85) will be equipped with these features. Does anyone think I'm mistaken and that they'll be in my car and other cars that are currently in production and scheduled for late September delivery?

Of course, I'm annoyed that I didn't insist on keeping the originally scheduled November date.

my 0.2, based on previous upgrades there have been two factors.

1) Date they incorporate the new harnesses in the vehicle.
2) Date when they start to offer the new feature (tied to web ordering or through your DS if in the build process)

If it is indeed coming soon then I suspect your vehicle will be 'pre-wired' but may not have all the hardware.

I know it's very unlikely, but it would be great if this camera could also be used as a dash cam. Imagine being able to view/send video of your trip directly from your touchscreen, that would be something!
I contacted MobiEye a few month back about adding dashcam recording for the 560 system.

They were not at all interested, almost hostile towards the idea ("Our system is meant to avoid accidents, not record them"), so I would not hold my breath if this is based on there tech.

Just grabbed this from a Tesla group on Facebook, this is from one of Tesla's test mules in Fremont. This looks like a new camera in the black windshield area above the rear view mirror (looks like a pyramid) and is most likely what these new features will rely upon:

10402858_10152656874163938_6982920319987750204_n.jpg

Here is an image from below the nose cone of another sensor on the same test vehicle:

10553355_10152656873733938_5281579545947427071_n.jpg

Last edited:
The parking sensor upgrade is expensive because it requires replacing the front and rear bumpers which is expensive. In this case the most you might have to replace is the rear view mirror if it's really just a camera assuming it uses the existing wiring. Lots of assumptions, but it's within the realm of possibility that this could be a reasonably priced upgrade.

Someone posted an itemized invoice a while back, and it was not just the bumper that was expensive. Even the sensors themselves were way more expensive than the factory option, as I recall.

I contacted MobiEye a few month back about adding dashcam recording for the 560 system.

They were not at all interested, almost hostile towards the idea ("Our system is meant to avoid accidents, not record them"), so I would not hold my breath if this is based on there tech.

Tesla has already stated that while they are using other people's hardware, it will be Tesla's software... it is just a camera... you can make it do anything in software... you could make it a barcode reader if Tesla really wanted to, and Mobileye couldn't do a thing about it (although that would be a terrible idea...)

Assuming you have whatever processing power requirements and streaming requirements to record such a thing while doing everything else at the same time, then it would be up to Tesla as to whether or not they wanted to implement this. So at least there is hope :D

What steering wheel design change?

I think he might be referring to this: Mercedes swapped the cruise and directional stalks. Hope Tesla does that with the X.

I'm in a very similar situation as you....and the way I see it is whenever TM does decide to announce these options they will allow all future MS's to be configured with those options for an additional cost. At that moment there would be a possibility that MS's that have been ordered but not yet built could have these options added for an additional cost. All MS owners who've already taken delivery of their vehicles could have their MS's retrofitted with these features for an additional fee.

I would imagine that in the event that TM introduces these features at no additional cost (for example if the hardware already exists or is trivial to add) that all existing owners with a service contract will be offered them at no cost as well.

Bottom line is - The notion of waiting on your order in the hopes of getting these new features is a bad one, in my opinion. If the new features are offered, at an additional cost (think parking sensors) before you order you will be given the chance to add these options to your build and pay the cost. If you order before the new features are offered you will given the option to retrofit your car with those features for the same cost. Before....After....it doesn't matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Just grabbed this from a Tesla group on Facebook, this is from one of Tesla's test mules in Fremont. This looks like a new camera in the black windshield area above the rear view mirror (looks like a pyramid) and is most likely what these new features will rely upon:

View attachment 59249

Here is an image from below the nose cone of another sensor on the same test vehicle:

View attachment 59250

Well now that's interesting...

Tesla has already stated that while they are using other people's hardware, it will be Tesla's software... it is just a camera... you can make it do anything in software... you could make it a barcode reader if Tesla really wanted to, and Mobileye couldn't do a thing about it (although that would be a terrible idea...)
I have a feeling the MobiEye camera may not even make a good video camera for humans.

It might not even be in color. Using an B&W IR sensity camera has some advantages when look for pedestrians, etc. but makes a crappy dash cam. ;)

I haven't read every single post here, but the speed limit thing is only vaguely useful IMO... I think it may be more useful to Tesla as test data for driverless cars. They will essentially have a fleet of cars out testing how well their software reads signs and the environment, as the camera probably does more than just look at signs and the lane markers. Heck, it can even be used for adaptive cruise if they decide to use cameras instead of radar (Wasn't that part of a disagreement between Tesla and Google?)

Thanks. I spoke with a couple of different people and they both walked the party line in response to all questions on this topic -- "haven't heard anything about that; nothing has been announced; we can't comment on anything that hasn't been announced because we just don't know"

But I received the distinct impression that there's no way these features will actually exist on my car. The only open questions seem to be whether it will be pre-wired for these features and whether the necessary hardware will be built in. I'm guessing that the answer to both questions is negative.

Thanks. I spoke with a couple of different people and they both walked the party line in response to all questions on this topic -- "haven't heard anything about that; nothing has been announced; we can't comment on anything that hasn't been announced because we just don't know"

But I received the distinct impression that there's no way these features will actually exist on my car. The only open questions seem to be whether it will be pre-wired for these features and whether the necessary hardware will be built in. I'm guessing that the answer to both questions is negative.

Think about it this way:
* If your car does come pre-wired for these features than the cost has already been factored in to the price you paid for the vehicle. You will get the features for free via a software update and new owners will have these features included at no cost.
* If your car does not come pre-wired for these features than the cost was not included in the price you paid for the vehicle and you will have to pay to get them physically added back into your car.....but the same is true for new owners, they will have to pay an increased cost when they add the option to their vehicle during their order.

Wait....don't wait......doesn't matter.