Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. I spoke with a couple of different people and they both walked the party line in response to all questions on this topic -- "haven't heard anything about that; nothing has been announced; we can't comment on anything that hasn't been announced because we just don't know"

But I received the distinct impression that there's no way these features will actually exist on my car. The only open questions seem to be whether it will be pre-wired for these features and whether the necessary hardware will be built in. I'm guessing that the answer to both questions is negative.

I'll certainly check my car when I take delivery to see if there is anything obvious. It's being built this week.

Where do you drive, Afghanistan? Over here (EU) we consider state of our roads as pretty bad and still I know only 2 people who had to have their windshield replaced due to rock damage.

Actually most rock damage occurs on highways because it falls out of or gets flung up by a truck on the road going 70 mph. It's not that uncommon, really.

Where do you drive, Afghanistan? Over here (EU) we consider state of our roads as pretty bad and still I know only 2 people who had to have their windshield replaced due to rock damage.

Actually most rock damage occurs on highways because it falls out of or gets flung up by a truck on the road going 70 mph. It's not that uncommon, really.

Yep. Had mine replaced a couple months ago. Hairline fracture caused by some debris driving on SoCal freeways. Happens more often than you'd think.

Think about it this way:
* If your car does come pre-wired for these features than the cost has already been factored in to the price you paid for the vehicle. You will get the features for free via a software update and new owners will have these features included at no cost.
* If your car does not come pre-wired for these features than the cost was not included in the price you paid for the vehicle and you will have to pay to get them physically added back into your car.....but the same is true for new owners, they will have to pay an increased cost when they add the option to their vehicle during their order.

Wait....don't wait......doesn't matter.

Very good points. The only possible exception -- retrofits are materially more expensive than adding the option in advance (which would include the unlikely possibility that the features are included in the technology package at no additional cost). Thanks for diminishing my delivery-timing ambivalence.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll certainly check my car when I take delivery to see if there is anything obvious. It's being built this week.

Great -- I'll look forward to hearing from you about it. And I'll report back when I receive mine in two weeks.

My guess is that this will cost $$$$ to retrofit, and that current new cars have nothing prewired for this. Why would they? At the rate they are replacing other hw on the car (drive units, fogging lights, rusting brake rotors etc) it would be surprising if they have also installed lots of expensive hw (camera, radar, wiring) for "free". I have had adaptive cruise on two previous BMWs, the first a useless $3000 option, the second a better but rarely used $2500 option. IMO adaptive cruise, lane departure warning and similar gadgets are fun to show off when car is new but personally I like to drive, its one of the reasons I think for why I like the Tesla so much. Its in most ways a very simple car ( with an amazing drivetrain). I am sure they will gradually introduce the gadgetry offered by BMW, Audi and MB (massaging seats, variable power steering etc) but I hope they will fix some of the more basic sw things first (RDS radio interface fex. is really a joke). And I think everything new where hw is involved will cost $$$$ to retrofit, if at all offered.

Just grabbed this from a Tesla group on Facebook, this is from one of Tesla's test mules in Fremont. This looks like a new camera in the black windshield area above the rear view mirror (looks like a pyramid) and is most likely what these new features will rely upon:

Here is an image from below the nose cone of another sensor on the same test vehicle:

Interesting photos. From the first one, it doesn't look like they're close to production. The headliner is very deformed, so it's not final wiring. And there's some crappy Logicam camera, but I assume that's for recording during testing, as opposed to something that's part of the speed/lane assist. Things in the second photo look a little more final, but it's easy to installing something into that grill (speaking from experience), so I'm not so sure. I certainly wouldn't delay an order for this, it could be months away.

Allow me to translate, "rock" tends to mean "tiny stone" here in the US :) I know this, because my (American) wife frequently has a 'rock' in her shoe, and being British, I'm expecting something the size of a football (at least).

There is a potential issue with the photo that shows the sensor in the grill (photo number 2). It looks to me like that location would be blocked by a Tesla supplied and installed front license plate (which many states require).

The parking sensor upgrade is expensive because it requires replacing the front and rear bumpers which is expensive. In this case the most you might have to replace is the rear view mirror if it's really just a camera assuming it uses the existing wiring. Lots of assumptions, but it's within the realm of possibility that this could be a reasonably priced upgrade.

Well, just adding folding mirrors is $2700.00, so it depends on what you consider "reasonable". I don't consider $2700.00 for two mirrors "reasonable" (unless they're made of gold I guess)

Interesting photos. From the first one, it doesn't look like they're close to production. The headliner is very deformed, so it's not final wiring. And there's some crappy Logicam camera, but I assume that's for recording during testing, as opposed to something that's part of the speed/lane assist. Things in the second photo look a little more final, but it's easy to installing something into that grill (speaking from experience), so I'm not so sure. I certainly wouldn't delay an order for this, it could be months away.

Those photos were from months ago, so the fact that they were doing field testing with what looks like fairly production level hardware back then leads me to believe its imminent. I think at the latest we will see it when the Model X beta units are reveled which should be soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Allow me to translate, "rock" tends to mean "tiny stone" here in the US :) I know this, because my (American) wife frequently has a 'rock' in her shoe, and being British, I'm expecting something the size of a football (at least).

Lol. Thanks Pete :)

New to the forum, thought I'd share my ideas below.

I'm not sure when they're planning to release the ACC, but having the speed assist first could be their first part of the rollout. They probably want to make sure the reading of speed limits is robust enough before making it work with ACC (as in set cruise speed automatically maybe?). They could also be running a beta version of ACC in the background and record / report it's accuracy of what the system would have done compared to the driver's actual behaviour. With that data they can see what tweaks to do before enabling the ACC to people with Driver Assist package.

The parking sensor upgrade is expensive because it requires replacing the front and rear bumpers which is expensive. In this case the most you might have to replace is the rear view mirror if it's really just a camera assuming it uses the existing wiring. Lots of assumptions, but it's within the realm of possibility that this could be a reasonably priced upgrade.

I did the parking sensor upgrade (VIN 8950) without replacing the bumper. While Tesla say it is, that's nonsense. Any experienced shop can drill the required holes in the bumpers. My total cost was about $2,400.

I did the parking sensor upgrade (VIN 8950) without replacing the bumper. While Tesla say it is, that's nonsense. Any experienced shop can drill the required holes in the bumpers. My total cost was about $2,400.

I knew it was theoretically possible, but didn't think Tesla would let you buy the parts and do the software mods needed to make them work. Tesla agreed to sell you the sensors and program the car to recognize them?

This is another example of the problems that come from not having a real NAV system. All of my Garmin systems have real time speed limit indication on the maps, thing next to the actual speed readout, provided by the internal database. No camera and no internet connection required. This development worries me, as an indication that NAV functionality will never include an POI or other database. That's a big issue for someone living where there is no cell service. And it is a huge kluge work-around, with a stupid hardware kluge and added cost, and no availability for older cars. Every NAV database knows road speed limits. Without that, TM is reduced to interpreting, interpolating, and downloading, with tons of warnings and caveats thrown in. It simply isn't as good as a hard wired NAV database. Given the added cost and inability to retrofit, it seems to be a death knell indication for those of us expecting a software solution to speed limit awareness, and the end of any possibility that we will ever be able to get categorized POIs or simply ask "Where's the nearest police station, post office or library?"