Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called my DS pissed that I just picked up my car without these features, features I gave up going to this Tesla and features I now want and could have had by waiting a couple more weeks had I been notified of this change.

The whole electric thing is wearing off to me and now I'm missing all the luxuries my Mercedes had.

My DS said no cars are coming like this and that these cars we are seeing online are probably photoshopped and people playing tricks and said "you can't believe everything you read online"

Probably best to turn in the lease then if the thrill has worn off after a few weeks.

I saw more than a few of these cars parked outside in the public area at the factory. They exist.

Probably best to turn in the lease then if the thrill has worn off after a few weeks.

I saw more than a few of these cars parked outside in the public area at the factory. They exist.

The comments in the vein of hoaxes and photoshop are incorrect. I saw cars today with this as well. My own car just flipped to "Production Complete" in the last few hours, so I am hopeful to get this new stuff.

Last edited:
Jerome Guillen[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] said during a visit in Norway in June that ACC would not be a retrofittable upgrade as it would be too complicated. I would guess that this includes the whole Drivers Assistance package they are now rolling out.
[/FONT]

Jerome Guillen[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] said during a visit in Norway in June that ACC would not be a retrofittable upgrade as it would be too complicated. I would guess that this includes the whole Drivers Assistance package they are now rolling out.
[/FONT]

100% sure that cannot be retrofitted, got an official message from Tesla :

These features (lane drift detection and speed display assist) cannot be retrofitted onto existing cars, as the entire wiring, the windshield, and the headliner are different.

As you I was happy with this new features but we have to accept that the car is going to change without our cars!!

These features (lane drift detection and speed display assist) cannot be retrofitted onto existing cars, as the entire wiring, the windshield, and the headliner are different.

As you I was happy with this new features but we have to accept that the car is going to change without our cars!!

let me translate that: "These features can be retrofit as long as you pay for a new windshield, headliner, and a ton of labor to install new wiring". I think Tesla has been willing to retrofit almost anything for the right amount of money. The issue is that many retrofits have been prohibitively expensive to the point where it's cheaper to just sell the car and buy a new one.

I don't understand why a new headliner and windshield would be needed. To fit the camera? Why not just design a retrofit only camera like MobileEye that isn't quite as form fitting, but doesn't require a new windshield?

Tesla has a backlog as is. I suspect engineering already has more on their plate than they can handle. I see little value for Tesla in offering an upgrade if it requires special parts be manufactured. Engineering resources are better off working on things like Model X. Tesla already does much more updating than other manufacturers and not just through software. I have seen cases on other cars where suspension improvements were made. The factory refused guidance on retrofits. It wasn't worth their time. I will glady trade my car that has LA and ACC for any Model S should someone feel they have to have those features.

And for the record...
As a sig owner, these are two features that were not even mentioned in passing when I reserved, configured, or took delivery of my vehicle so I don't feel Tesla "owes" us anything on our "early" Model S vehicles. That said, it would be a good move (and much appreciated!) for Tesla to offer us some OEM retrofit options (with pricing details) so that those of us that are interested in such features don't have to resort to aftermarket to get the job done.

Ditto from an early Production owner... However when I pre-paid for my Service Plan (which was compulsory to maintain your warranty at the time), it was said to include software and HARDWARE upgrades over time. I wonder if early owners who paid for the plan will ever see any of these features?

- - - Updated - - -

One of the things that I think is important to understand is how Tesla updates their cars over time. Conventional car makers add improvements like these annually and with each successive model year. Tesla seems to make a steady stream of improvements in a continuum. For example, when I bought my '09 Cadillac, it had OnStar but it did not have the smartphone remote control apps. That came beginning with the 2010 model. I didn't complain that Cadillac "owed" me a feature improvement because it was pretty easy to understand I bought an '09 and that was a 2010 feature. With Tesla's model of continuous improvements, it is a bit of a fuzzy line.

One of the things that I think is important to understand is how Tesla updates their cars over time. Conventional car makers add improvements like these annually and with each successive model year. Tesla seems to make a steady stream of improvements in a continuum. For example, when I bought my '09 Cadillac, it had OnStar but it did not have the smartphone remote control apps. That came beginning with the 2010 model. I didn't complain that Cadillac "owed" me a feature improvement because it was pretty easy to understand I bought an '09 and that was a 2010 feature. With Tesla's model of continuous improvements, it is a bit of a fuzzy line.

+11

Ditto from an early Production owner... However when I pre-paid for my Service Plan (which was compulsory to maintain your warranty at the time), it was said to include software and HARDWARE upgrades over time. I wonder if early owners who paid for the plan will ever see any of these features?

The prepaid service plan was never compulsory for maintaining the warranty. Annual service was compulsory at one point, but you didn't have to buy a plan.

The windshield and headliner are relatively inexpensive parts. The pair together are less than $2k including labor (though the headliner being different is kind of surprising). So major wiring revisions is the only realistic reasoning, and it's a valid one.

Still, it's pretty early on. You can ask Tesla the same thing a dozen times and get different answers from a dozen different people, so it's a bit early to get depressed that this won't be possible to retrofit. There are major wiring changes required for the power folding mirrors, after all, and they'll retrofit those.

Plus, I'm suspicious they don't mention the wheel, which we know is different.

- - -

Or did it say "necessary" hardware upgrades?

Well, I think it depends what sensors are required for what features.

It *seems* like, the mirror camera is for speed limit sign and lane departure warning.
The lower center radar is for ACC - and possibly emergency auto brake in the future
The rear side sensors are for blind spot and the front side sensors (along with the rear) are for park-assist (auto parallel parking).

Obviously thinking about it logically, adding parking sensors to a car is going to require the sensors, re-wiring the front and back bumpers for the sensors, and new front and back bumpers. That's why it's not cheap. Lot of parts.

Adding the sensors for blind spot is probably going to be similar, unless there is some extra wiring in there and they can manage to drill a hole for the new sensors (I doubt it).

Adding ACC might be relatively cheap if all that is needed is the radar unit and a new lower grill (and a bit of wiring).
The mirror camera might not be too terribly expensive. New windshield and new mirror (and a bit of wiring).

I wonder if they're really going to do the park assist, doesn't that also require a whole bunch of actuators for the steering? I know Ford and co provide this as a relatively inexpensive option, but it seems like more of a party trick to me, I'm not sure if any of the 'big boys (Merc, BMW, Audi etc) have this option?

FTR, my last car (Audi A5) used the rear camera and sensors mounted in the mirrors for blind spot detection, so it's possible the sensors nearest the wheel arches could just be for blind spot, and not park assist.

The prepaid service plan was never compulsory for maintaining the warranty. Annual service was compulsory at one point, but you didn't have to buy a plan.

Yes it was. They announced that they would no longer require it for warranty maintenance shorty after I purchased it.

EDIT: Yes, it was the Service visits that were compulsory, not the Plan. I bought the pre-paid plan because it was cheaper than a-la-carte since i was going to "have" to do it anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Or did it say "necessary" hardware upgrades?

I would think "necessary" hardware upgrades would be a warranty issue irrespective of the Plan.

Some hardware upgrades might require over 100 hours of labor and taking most of the car apart. I'm sure most people realize that buying a service plan for $1,900 didn't entitle them to free upgrades regardless of complexity over the entire for year period.

That said the way the service plan was worded was poorly done. Telsa had upgraded many hardware components in my Sig not because they were broken but because a newer, better components existed. That is hardware upgrades in a sense.

I wonder if they're really going to do the park assist, doesn't that also require a whole bunch of actuators for the steering? I know Ford and co provide this as a relatively inexpensive option, but it seems like more of a party trick to me, I'm not sure if any of the 'big boys (Merc, BMW, Audi etc) have this option?

The VW Tiguan we recently sold had park assist. I used it mostly as a "party trick", mostly due to rarely need for parallel parking. It did parallel park really well though.