Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Spoiler Alert + Mild Speculation] Tesla has created a monster!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Presuming the usable pack of the LR Model 3 is 78 kWh,

at speed S
Consumption C
Range = 78*1000/C

So e.g., at 70 mph C = 220
Range = 78000/220 = 354 miles

---------
Or you may prefer thinking about it this way:
Given the Wh/mile at a certain speed, convert to miles per kWh by dividing into 1000
Multiply the result by the usable battery capacity

thanks SageBrush. wow, it seems like this 354 mile calculation may be the comp to 348 miles of range IIRC for the 100D at 70 mph, default temp, and no climate control use that the Tesla website range calculator indicates (your caveat about assuming 78 kWh usable noted).

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
That's before wind drag though isn't it?
The range tests should include wind drag, simulated on dyno of course. The 100D has a bit more range on the unadjusted highway test 470 vs 455, but I'm pretty sure Sage is right about the 3 LR pulling ahead as speed increases, since the unadjusted HWFET averages ~50mph and the 3 has a better drag area than the S.

Reactions: navguy12 and Petra
Hi, everybody. I recommend being cautious about advertised Model 3 range and performance numbers because both might be under reported and this wouldn't be the first time if it happens. In October 2014, Tesla had a big event called the D event to launch the dual motor Teslas for the first time. Here is the official video. At that time, the advertised performance numbers were like this:
  • Model S 85D: 5.2s (source) << click here to see the design studio screenshot
  • Model S P85D: 3.2s
P85D deliveries started on 12 Dec 2014 (source)
85D deliveries started on 18 February 2015 (source)

Notice the two months gap between these two dates. During these two months, nobody had a chance to test the 85D because the deliveries hadn't started yet. When people started taking delivery of the 85D, they noticed that the performance was much better than advertised. See the Reddit topic here. Then Tesla changed the times to these:
  • Model S 85D: 4.2s (source) << click here to see the design studio screenshot
  • Model S P85D: 3.1s
In other words, the 85D 0-60 time improved a full second between initial advertisement and deliveries. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happens with the Model 3 80D.

By the way, Tesla's official delivery estimates show 220 miles and 310 miles for both the RWD and AWD versions. Here is an example. However, all AWD Teslas released so far had more range than the RWD versions. It looks like Tesla might be under reporting the Model 3 80D range. This is allowed under EPA rules. See this article. It shows that the Model S 90D initially had 270 mi EPA and then it had 294 mi EPA. The reason is that at that time Tesla didn't have a chance to test the range so they used the 85D's 270 mi EPA range for 90D as well. The EPA website also displayed the 270 miles number and then it displayed 294. In fact, it still shows both numbers here (see the 270 and 294 mi numbers under the small car icons).

Of course, it's possible the reason Tesla shows 310 miles range for the long range AWD version is simply that they haven't built any yet. Whatever the reason, the AWD Model 3s might eventually display longer range numbers than RWD versions. This would move the Model 3 80D closer to the Model S 100D.

My estimated EPA rated range numbers are as follows. For calculations, I have used the weight and drag coefficient numbers displayed on Tesla's presskit page here. The assumption is 310 miles is the correct EPA rated range number for the Model 3 80. I'm not sure about that either considering that both the 220 and 310 numbers appear to be rounded down.

Model 3 55: 227 mi
Model 3 55D: 238 mi
Model 3 80: 310 mi
Model 3 80D: 326 mi
Model 3 P80D: 305 mi

Last edited:
I don't have a deep understanding of rolll-down (coast down) tests, but here goes:

A car is brought up to a speed, and then allowed to coast down to a stop. The forces acting on the car to slow it down are air, road, tyres, and the mechanical drivetrain. These forces, expressed as power, are fit into a third order polynomial of the form
Power = av + bv*v + c*v*v*v

where v is speed.

This is the polynomial used to make the above graphs, using the EPA supplied coefficients.
It then follows that the reverse -- getting up to and staying at speed -- has these additional losses:
Losses related to pulling energy out of the battery;
related to inverter conversion from DC to AC;
and motor losses.

I'll guess that these add another 5-10% to the total, but people versed in the subject will hopefully chime in.

Last edited:
thanks SageBrush. wow, it seems like this 354 mile calculation may be the comp to 348 miles of range IIRC for the 100D at 70 mph, default temp, and no climate control use that the Tesla website range calculator indicates (your caveat about assuming 78 kWh usable noted).

my memory was off, quite a bit. the interactive calculator for range on Tesla's website shows 319 miles of range for a 100D at default outdoor temperature (70), no climate control used, and 70 mph, with 19" wheels. we don't know that these variables the website calculator uses match up to what SageBrush was able to use in the Model 3 calculation, so, a comparison of these two range figures is not necessarily reliable, but, I'm feeling even better tonight about my M3 reservation : )

link to Tesla's calculator for the Model S,

Model S | Tesla

Is that Wall-to-wheels or pack-to-wheels?

My observations:

* Voltage 350? Booooo :Þ The lower the voltage, the less power I can get off a CHAdeMO :Þ Oh well, it could be worse.

* Battery energy density, 3 LR vs. S 75: 150 Wh/kg vs. 170 Wh/kg. Note that this is pack density, not cell density. About what I'd expect, really.

* Motor power: 258 vs. 376. But weight is 3837 vs. 4576. Hence the power/weight ratios are 0,067 vs. 0,082, meaning the S should accelerate 22% faster. Yep, that pretty much matches the stated acceleration stats for the two vehicles.

* Charge depleting miles: now this is interesting! 495 vs. 333. EPA miles for the S 75 are 249. So the S's "charge depleting miles" are 34% more than their EPA miles. Using the same ratio for the 3, its EPA miles should be 370 miles????

Concerning rare earths: despite the name, rare earths are not actually rare. Cerium, for example, is as common as copper. However, they're widely distributed rather than being highly concentrated in specific places. You can mine them anywhere on the planet. Generally the biggest producers tend to be places with cheaper labour costs like China. But they can be produced in the US just fine.

This find really is a treasure trove... amazing stuff!
Why did you say the pack energy density is expected to be less for the model three? I thought the new 2170 batteries would be more energy dense than the 18650s? I thought that, in general, cost of the battery declined with higher energy density?

Something interesting discovered in the reddit thread by Bob042:

So is there a secret front motor/generator in RWD cars, or a typo?

This has to be a typo, otherwise you would see a driveshaft in this photo:

IMG_0884.PNG

So, I did a bit of work on the different models:

wh_mi1.png

A note: this is not wall to wheels, or even pack to wheels. It's propulsive energy. It's what you'd have to spend if there were zero powertrain losses and zero parasitic electricity consumption. One can make graphs that add in some assumed parasitic draw and some assumed power consumption, but this one is the pure data - how much force is trying to make the vehicle stop.

At low speeds, the M3 is unimpressive for some reason or another - but at high speeds it's amazingly sleek, bested only by the tiny Prius Prime weirdmobile (only two seats wide in the back). And high speed performance is what matters most when it comes to range. :)

I hate to consider what you would call a lot of work, but are these curves only from aero and road frictions ?
The EPA roll down data also includes the drivetrain frictions.

Oh, and by the way: As an owner of a Prius Prime let me just say it is not a small car, it is not weird, and I like it a lot. A Model 3, it is not. But then it cost me $17k USD after tax credits.

Reactions: CoastalCruiser

View attachment 240184

A note: this is not wall to wheels, or even pack to wheels. It's propulsive energy. It's what you'd have to spend if there were zero powertrain losses and zero parasitic electricity consumption. One can make graphs that add in some assumed parasitic draw and some assumed power consumption, but this one is the pure data - how much force is trying to make the vehicle stop.

At low speeds, the M3 is unimpressive for some reason or another - but at high speeds it's amazingly sleek, bested only by the tiny Prius Prime weirdmobile (only two seats wide in the back). And high speed performance is what matters most when it comes to range. :)
Excellent chart thank you. Nice to see that the numbers reported for the 3 fall in line with other cars.

Also excellent is that the Model 3 is nearly as efficient as the Nissan Leaf... a car that is really efficient but optimized around efficiency not looks. Tesla gives us both.

View attachment 240184

Awesome graph but a little hard to read. Could you do one that's just S75D, S100D, X75D, X100D?

I hate to consider what you would call a lot of work, but are these curves only from aero and road frictions ?

These are from the EPA rolldown data. A, B and C target coefficients. Rolldown data does not break things out into "aero and road frictions" and "drivetrain frictions", it's coefficients corresponding with velocity squared (C), velocity (B) and linear (A).

These are from the EPA rolldown data. A, B and C target coefficients. Rolldown data does not break things out into "aero and road frictions" and "drivetrain frictions", it's coefficients corresponding with velocity squared (C), velocity (B) and linear (A).
Then they include drivetrain frictions.

"The leg bone is connected to the thigh bone..."
It's a children's song. Sing along if you know the tune.

• Love
Reactions: e-FTW
Do you think these coefficients include battery IR and inverter losses?
I don't think so, but wait for someone who actually understands this stuff to answer.

And by the way --- I don't think motor losses are included either, which would I think be the largest of the uncounted losses (excluding things like weather and accessories. That said, modeling drivetrain+road+tyre+aero is going to give a pretty good graph to go by.