Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaky falcon wing doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was fully expecting squeaky FWD when I took delivery in August. My expectations were met by both FWD. No big deal at all to me and schedule a service appointment.

Took them in early September and to my surprise they advise they weren't going to replace any part but simply make a hinge adjustment. So they did and there was no squeak at the service center.

The next day at home both doors started squeaking again. The squeak was shorter and quieter but definitely still there.

Question: is there a part replacement I should be pushing for or is the adjustment (when completed properly) typically enough to fix it? Your experience is appreciated.

Which is not a lubricant but is a "Water Dispersant" (hence the "WD"). And where you would you spray a lubricant? The FW door hinge points are not readily accessible.

This.

Spraying WD40 on them may work but it's going to make a mess and drip all over the ceiling, seats, and floor. Not the solution I'm looking for.

If anyone has can quote a part replacement number that may be helpful.

I had heard on the forums that it was just a simple adjustment. I have squeaks as well and they seemed to have fixed it for me. But sometimes I notice it comes back again when it gets cold outside... not sure about this though.

I had the squeaks on the left FWD. Used WD40 and it didn't fix it. Took it to sercvice center. They adjusted something. When I get it back, it started squeaking (lower noise) right there! I had to leave and they scheduled me with a ranger to come to my house and look at it again.

The ranger told me that he has fixed many of those squeaking for good. Turns out, it only needed some special kind of grease (like a white substance). He also put it on the other FWD (preemptive strike).

That was in May 2017. No more squeaking since then.

Cosigning with @SoCal Jimmy and @nsoriano85

The issue is a design flaw where plastic pieces in the hinge are rubbing against each other. They trim that down and it goes away, I also recall my Tech removing a piece from the door that he said was "non-essential" that also contributed to the pieces rubbing. Either way if your Service Center didnt file/trim those pieces down then it will definitely come back....havent had an issue in several months!

Is there a way to visually inspect the pieces that should be filed/trimmed, or do other core parts of the door have to be removed first? I don't have any squeaks, just what sounds like little tiny plastic rubbing noises when the door opens up. Only in a silent garage, outside you really don't notice it at all, so I'm not sure if these are normal sounds. @BLKTSLA do you perhaps have a video recording up close of your door opening/closing so I can tell if my noises are normal? Thank you!

Or actually, can anyone here who has had the SC address the problem take a small video up-close of their door opening and closing so that I can hear what it sounds like? Just want to make sure my noises are normal. Thanks!

@ryantank ask and you shall receive! So I know I started this thread but I can't get my door to squeak for the last few days (not that I'm complaining)... Not sure if it's due to the cooler temperature or what...

So did a video on them not squeaking and also noticed I have a white substance on one side.

I also covered my clicking rear hatch which still clicks after being replaced once:

Subscribe here if you're interested:

Freedom101

My FW doors were serviced 3 weeks after delivery for the very same issue. It was a 2-hour repair session on each side, so, no a WD40 lube job would not have fixed it.

Unfortunately, this repair had resulted in 2 more unsuccessful SC appointments to silence resulting squeaks and rattles somewhere inside the headliner from wire couplings coming loose, and other complications from this first repair. Now, they gave up and a brand new (black) headliner has been ordered--part availability 4-6 weeks on an Urgent order--apparently they have no stock.

I'm very appreciative of the SC's personnel and helpful attitude in doing their best to fix the issue, but my patience is starting to wear to what would otherwise have been a very positive overall experience with the car.

Part availability, however, is simply not acceptable in any price range, especially in a domestically manufactured vehicle. Now I understand how owners can be stranded without their cars for months left at a body shop due to lack of replacement parts.

• Informative
Reactions: Freedom101
@ryantank ask and you shall receive! So I know I started this thread but I can't get my door to squeak for the last few days (not that I'm complaining)... Not sure if it's due to the cooler temperature or what...

So did a video on them not squeaking and also noticed I have a white substance on one side.

I also covered my clicking rear hatch which still clicks after being replaced once:

Subscribe here if you're interested:

Freedom101
What’s your channel? The video is no longer showing.