Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

SR or SR+ standard maps and navigation upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope it's an "off the menu" sort of thing. Probably would be something to ask sales or owner advisors, although they might not be fully briefed on everything yet. Don't really see a downside to offering it, as it would bring in some extra cash for Tesla.

I'm waiting to hear back from Tesla on this, but going through the FAQ I found this blurb

What are the new connectivity options?
  • Standard Connectivity offers basic maps & navigation, music & media over Bluetooth® and software updates over Wi-Fi. Note: Important safety updates will continue to be available over the car’s cellular connection.
  • Premium Connectivity adds satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization, in-car streaming music & media, an internet browser (for Model S and Model X) and over-the-air software updates via Wi-Fi and cellular.
Will there be a trial period for Premium Connectivity?
For all Model S and Model X cars ordered on or after July 1, 2018, Premium Connectivity will be complimentary for one year after delivery, as well as all Model 3 cars with Premium Interior. After the complimentary period ends, Standard Connectivity will be available for all cars at no cost, and Premium Connectivity will be available for purchase via the in-car touchscreen. Connectivity plans for Model 3 without Premium Interior will be announced later this year.

So with this I assume all premium interiors have 1 year free access to satellite maps/live traffic/streaming/etc and the SR and SR+ will just have to pay for access with the price still TBD (maybe by July 1, 2019)?

Based on the fact that nowhere has the $100 premium connectivity been mentioned in any further documentation since 7/1/18, one might assume that Tesla has abandoned it....

If Tesla was going to charge this, they would have had to disclosed this to all purchasers since then with pricing.... No?

Reactions: MP3Mike
I went in for a test ride (not a test drive to preserve my longer return period). Salesman said that I will be able to order Premium for $100 a year for my SR+ that I just ordered. Not a bad deal for about $8.50 per month...

Hope he’s right!

I went in for a test ride (not a test drive to preserve my longer return period). Salesman said that I will be able to order Premium for $100 a year for my SR+ that I just ordered. Not a bad deal for about $8.50 per month...

Hope he’s right!

Thanks. Hopefully my saleslady can confirm this. If so, I am definitely getting the SR+ instead of MR.

I went in for a test ride (not a test drive to preserve my longer return period). Salesman said that I will be able to order Premium for $100 a year for my SR+ that I just ordered.

I wonder if a test ride is considered a "demo drive":

If you have taken delivery of your vehicle without ever having taken a test or demo drive with us, we understand that you may want additional time to get to know your vehicle. In that case, you will have seven (7) calendar days after delivery to return your vehicle, subject to the terms and conditions of this policy.

I agree, I think they’ve abandoned it for now and made it a differentiator between the SR/SR+ and higher trims. All the language about 1 year or 3 months premium connectivity being included has been removed from the configurator.

...If I order a SR or SR+ could I just pay the $100/yr for internet to access live traffic/browser?...

It's pretty clear to me:

Standard Interior Includes:

• Manual seat and steering adjustment
  • Cloth seats and base trim
  • Basic audio
  • Standard maps and navigation
  • Center console with storage and 4 USB ports
Partial Premium Interior Includes:

• 12-way power adjustable heated front seats
  • Premium seat material and trim
  • Upgraded audio – immersive sound
  • Standard maps & navigation
  • LED fog lamps
  • Center console with storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones
Premium Interior Includes:

• 12-way power adjustable front and rear heated seats
  • Premium audio – 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, and immersive sound
  • Satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization and navigation
  • In-car internet streaming music & media
  • Internet browser
  • Location-aware automatic garage door opener
  • LED fog lamps
  • Center console with storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones
All Interiors Include:

• Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
  • Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
  • Music and media over Bluetooth ®
  • Custom driver profiles
---------------

To get a browser/In-car internet streaming music & media, you need to pay for Premium.

To get Premium, you need to get MidRange and above.

SR and SR+ can't get Premium.

If you can't get Premium, you can't get a browser/In-car internet streaming music & media.

If Tesla doesn't provide SR & SR+ a browser app or an internet streaming music & media.app then paying internet won't solve the problem of missing apps.

I agree - no internet for SR models. No option to buy later. Nothing. (Very possible that you can later but not for $100 a year)
It is such a great feature that it will encourage lots of folks to pony up to the MR but creates very little (even possibly zero) manufacturing headaches.

The modem might actually cost them something. It was like a $300 part for upgrades on the S.

They must have some form of wireless mobile data connectivity in the SR and SR+, otherwise how do they push OTA updates? And gather all of their autopilot data, which is very important to them? I doubt they'd only do that over WiFi, especially the gathering data aspect.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: vickh

Hope he’s right!

He may be right, but I think he is just speculating. Here is the sentence in the FAQ article I posted that alludes to this:

“Connectivity plans for Model 3 without Premium Interior will be announced later this year.”

Reactions: atlg8or
I agree, I think they’ve abandoned it for now and made it a differentiator between the SR/SR+ and higher trims. All the language about 1 year or 3 months premium connectivity being included has been removed from the configurator.
Merely a demand lever to get the orders in before 7/1/18. Yes I got sucked into it. I bet they don’t have the system and code in place to take the subscription and enable/disable it on the cars.

Hope he’s right!

Considering the guy will be out of a job in a few days, not sure about the reliability

If you do not get it in writing than it’s like it never happened.

$100/yr for real-time maps, music and internet would be a steal if true.

There is still a lot of confusion there, so I couldn't get confirmation one way or another. They are finding out info just as we all do in the public. In the end, I went with SR+ because I use Android Auto for map and music through Bluetooth on my other cars, so I really don't need the internet streaming and real time traffic of MR.