Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then I will have to get my insurance somehow turned "active" again. It became inactive when I told my agent I sold my car.

Or will Tesla not know the difference?
Proof of insurance before the deal closes. If you have a second vehicle insured, then that will work. I have insurance on 4 vehicles, one of which will be traded in. I used to the insurance card for that vehicle. Think of it as a necessary stipulation towards vehicle ownership. Hope that helps.

Proof of insurance before the deal closes. If you have a second vehicle insured, then that will work. I have insurance on 4 vehicles, one of which will be traded in. I used to the insurance card for that vehicle. Think of it as a necessary stipulation towards vehicle ownership. Hope that helps.
So .. do you mean my other car (my wife's)? Use that insurance card?

I think I screwed things up by telling my agent that I had sold my other car. I waited about a month to tell her, but then I figured I should. She kept the policy intact, but had to mark it inactive.

I'll have her somehow activate it on Monday and just pay starting now. I don't really care.

You don't have to have proof of insurance until you actually pick up the car for them to release it to you.

There's no such thing as a 'priority' VIN. It won't hold back your production.

You can provide proof of insurance when you show up to pick up your model 3. They just want it quicker so the delivery date goes faster (they're overloaded). I called my insurance company from the Tesla lot, cancelled insurance on my trade in, and added my S to the policy and they faxed proof over to the DA. Everything else the 'website' wants you to do before delivery day is strictly for their convenience.

(Think about buying a car from any other dealership in the country. Everything is handled same day. It just takes hours of work. Tesla is trying to avoid this by having things taken care of in advance.)

In the meantime, just upload any policy that's active to your account if you like. But it doesn't change anything production wise.

I really think Tesla wants something... anything... to prove you have insurance. I doubt they will scan the card too closely, and I sincerely doubt they will check with your insurance company for authenticity.

Agreed. But since I am in the Bay Area and do not expect even a "fast track" to a VIN being implemented here very soon - I probably should get something real from my agent on Monday than uploading a card from a policy that has been "temporarily suspended."

I read the notice from my insurance company and that policy is invalid until I have a car to replace it with.

You don't have to have proof of insurance until you actually pick up the car for them to release it to you.

You can provide proof of insurance when you show up to pick up your model 3. They just want it quicker so the delivery date goes faster (they're overloaded). I called my insurance company from the Tesla lot, cancelled insurance on my trade in, and added my S to the policy and they faxed proof over to the DA. Everything else the 'website' wants you to do before delivery day is strictly for their convenience.

(Think about buying a car from any other dealership in the country. Everything is handled same day. It just takes hours of work. Tesla is trying to avoid this by having things taken care of in advance.)

In the meantime, just upload any policy that's active to your account if you like. But it doesn't change anything production wise.

I thought I've seen other's post that they've been getting e-mails to get their information in order to be able to be set up for a priority VIN.

I assume that this is Tesla's way of unloading cars to those who can zip through the delivery process (cash or finalized loan, trade confirmed, all delivery info confirmed, etc.).

If it's just some Tesla BS, then I won't worry. I am still not "fully done" on the website manage page - and I figured what the hell. It's going to be bad enough in the Bay Area. Even a few days earlier would be helpful.

Well said and exactly.

Agreed. But since I am in the Bay Area and do not expect even a "fast track" to a VIN being implemented here very soon - I probably should get something real from my agent on Monday than uploading a card from a policy that has been "temporarily suspended."

I read the notice from my insurance company and that policy is invalid until I have a car to replace it with.

I thought I've seen other's post that they've been getting e-mails to get their information in order to be able to be set up for a priority VIN.

I assume that this is Tesla's way of unloading cars to those who can zip through the delivery process (cash or finalized loan, trade confirmed, all delivery info confirmed, etc.).

If it's just some Tesla BS, then I won't worry. I am still not "fully done" on the website manage page - and I figured what the hell. It's going to be bad enough in the Bay Area. Even a few days earlier would be helpful.
I am waiting for Tesla to request a payoff on my trade. It does not make sense for them to request it until I am within 10 days of delivery. They have valued it but it makes sense to wait until that magical VIN appears. Insurance and financing are already lined up. It will make delivery faster if your ducks are lined up.

Here is an example of what I posted. I downloaded from the Geico website.
oh well that's nice. I took a photo of my insurance card which also states that my insurance will expire jan 03, 2020 LOL. i hope Tesla doesn't have a problem with it expiring a few days after I get the car because they said something about needing it to be valid for 60-90 days. But either way, it's not like i'm not going to renew it

Reactions: tren01t
oh well that's nice. I took a photo of my insurance card which also states that my insurance will expire jan 03, 2020 LOL. i hope Tesla doesn't have a problem with it expiring a few days after I get the car because they said something about needing it to be valid for 60-90 days. But either way, it's not like i'm not going to renew it
You should be good to go. You can add your vehicle to your insurance while getting delivery and the 10 day rule in CA.

Reactions: skydreamerjae

Is this a car that you still have, or have you sold it?

I just talked to the manager at the showroom I ordered the car at, in Pasadena, and was told my estimated delivery for my 10/9 order date is on the 11th of next month... I still haven't received a vin yet. Is this for real????

10/9
Model 3 Standard Range Plus
Midnight Silver Metallic
18'' Aero Wheels
Black Interior
Autopilot