Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CD709957-53C1-4CEA-BA00-FAA255CDCB08.jpeg

So smoooovvv! Happy times! It’s worth the wait my friends!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most of the range lost in the winter are due to cold battery inefficiency as well as heating the car. I'm assuming you don't have to stop multiple times during the trip which causes the battery having to heat up again as well heating the cabin. In other words, short trips are what kills the efficiency. Driving long distance in one trip is the most efficient way to drive a Tesla since you don't have to heat the car and battery repeatedly. Also, you can charge to 100% on LFP instead of 80 - 90% for most NCA battery owners.

Another thing to consider if you go with NCA, there will be more battery degradation compared to LFP batteries. So your 100% at 262 miles with LFP in 5 years will almost certainly better than 263 miles with NCA. You may be ok with NCA today, but if you have the same commute in 5 years, you may be in trouble.

What you can do is to leave the car plugged in overnight, and heat the car before you go on the trip to preserve even more range. You may also want to turn off sentry mode while at work since it uses approximately 1 mile per hour.

Of course, I'm assuming you don't live by the arctic circle and you don't drive 80 mph+ on freeway. I live in NJ and temp here in winter can drop pretty low. I was average 50% rated range on 25 mile round trip during dead beat of winter.

My expectation is you'll use roughly 90-100 miles of range to go 60 miles one way.
Great info, thank you. Now you've got me leaning back toward the LFP.

Reactions: asquared17
I'm seeing LFP cars near me on the existing inventory page. Did you guys work through your sales rep to change your order to the LFP, or did you wait for some kind of email?
i held out as long as i could, then pulled the trigger on an LFP last night. worked with the tesla call in line to get the credit applied from the original order to the new one - she put in a request to have that carried over.

i got a VIN immediately 😎