Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You've got to be kidding me?! So I can't charge my car at home without buying something extra now:
"NEWS: Tesla has now officially removed the mobile connector as a standard accessory with every new car purchase. You can purchase it separately for $400"

and then Elon replied:
"Usage statistics were super low, so seemed wasteful. On the (minor) plus side, we will be including more plug adapters with the mobile connector kit."

This better not apply to older order like ours.... but past feature removals aren't looking good for us. Sigh
This seems like absolute 🗑
AND as a future first time EV owner, this sure is a shady way to start my EV with a bad taste in my mouth… is this a way to have people who aren’t committed cancel their order? Forcing me to use a supercharger or pay $1,000+ for a home charge setup is absolutely 🗑

You've got to be kidding me?! So I can't charge my car at home without buying something extra now:
"NEWS: Tesla has now officially removed the mobile connector as a standard accessory with every new car purchase. You can purchase it separately for $400"

and then Elon replied:
"Usage statistics were super low, so seemed wasteful. On the (minor) plus side, we will be including more plug adapters with the mobile connector kit."

This better not apply to older order like ours.... but past feature removals aren't looking good for us. Sigh
The one that came with the MY that I currently have and other Tesla vehicles came with the Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle which is $275 that included a 110v (NEMA 5-15) interchangeable adapter. I bought the NEMA 14-50 adapter separately for $45 to get an increased juice for home charging.

The $400 "charger" is a Corded Mobile Connector which is a fixed NEMA 14-50 that didn't come with the car and was always sold separately.

Reactions: Sexy_owner
Very disappointed in this move by tesla.
I have installed the nema 14-50 outlet, ordered the adapter for the charger and now I have to buy the charger it self.

Musk says they will reduce the price to $200 for those interested in getting it, however its an added cost and inconvenience that is not appreciated.

Attachments

• B7F720D7-188C-4A8A-A6F0-34FF9187F19E.jpeg
    B7F720D7-188C-4A8A-A6F0-34FF9187F19E.jpeg
    373.6 KB · Views: 93
This is a really frustrating move by Tesla. $45k car and you can’t even charge it in your garage after you drive it home. I don’t even have my car yet but am already $700 in with having an outlet wired, buying the plugs that don’t come with it, and now I have to spend $200 more to use those plugs and outlet. If usage was low, give people $200 in supercharger credits OR the charger. The added comfort of having a mobile charger in your trunk is also priceless as we still talk about range anxiety with electric cars.

And by the way, the mobile charger is out of stock, is still showing as $275 and can’t be purchased until your car is listed in your profile. A fail all around.

This is a really frustrating move by Tesla. $45k car and you can’t even charge it in your garage after you drive it home. I don’t even have my car yet but am already $700 in with having an outlet wired, buying the plugs that don’t come with it, and now I have to spend $200 more to use those plugs and outlet. If usage was low, give people $200 in supercharger credits OR the charger. The added comfort of having a mobile charger in your trunk is also priceless as we still talk about range anxiety with electric cars.

And by the way, the mobile charger is out of stock, is still showing as $275 and can’t be purchased until your car is listed in your profile. A fail all around.
I'm looking at this from an overly positive perspective perhaps...would this help to deliver the vehicles faster by any chance? Maybe a silver lining, if not, I'm totally against the move. I've also setup the NEMA 14-50 plug in my garage already and will need to buy the cable.

In the end it’s only a $200 price increase. Much less than what they’ve done in the past few month’s.
If it bothers you that much, you could cancel your order. I’m sure there are a lot of eager people who what gladly move up in the queue.
I think for everyone on this forum, it's not the $200.00 but the principal involved. This move by Tesla just seems so petty and unnecessary, and let's be clear, a charger is an absolute necessity for any EV owner.
We are all sick and tired of the endless start and stop waiting game and horrible lack of clear communication from Tesla regarding our orders.

Next thing tesla gonna start charging is wheel nuts, you're gonna have to order those at an extra cost lol.
Joke aside seems like tesla is getting petty over smallest thing, as if they haven't already increased price of the vehicle more than few times in just 1 quarter.
Same tesla model 3 that cost around 45K canadian last November is 60K today, and with the pace they going its gonna cost 65 to 70 K by the end of this year.

Reactions: Great White
Most of us know telsa does not even provide a spare tire ( not even a donut )

Most ppl end up buying wall charger and may only keep this mobile charger in the trunk for edge case scenario

It’s just perspective - apple stop including charger - now telsa does the same

No diff -
Most manufacturers these days do not provide spare tire, on the other hand every single EV comes with a charger. Comparison of a phone charger to car chatger is not same.
Phone costs 2000$ at max while Tesla is somewhere around 150K on max.

Most manufacturers these days do not provide spare tire, on the other hand every single EV comes with a charger. Comparison of a phone charger to car chatger is not same.
Phone costs 2000$ at max while Tesla is somewhere around 150K on max.
To add to your point everyone and their mother has a power brick from an old phone and the charging cable was still included with the new phones. Majority of us are first time buyers of an EV! Definitely not the same.

Most of us know telsa does not even provide a spare tire ( not even a donut )

Most ppl end up buying wall charger and may only keep this mobile charger in the trunk for edge case scenario

It’s just perspective - apple stop including charger - now telsa does the same

No diff -
Most people do NOT buy a wall charger, in fact, according to teslascope 61% of all charge sessions were on the UMC. 2nd issue is: try to buy the UMC before you get the car. Oh that's right, it's not in stock AND you can't buy it without a VIN. So imagine you get the car and you have no way to charge it when you get home. Unacceptable.