Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First 2-week window during my 7-month sojourn in this beautiful forum.

OD: 12/23/2021
White/Black, Aero, No FSD
EDD 1: October 2022
Honolulu, HI

Edit Design: 2/23/2022
White/White, Aero, No FSD
EDD 2: July 2022 (Updated 3/3/2022)

EDD 3: June 13 - July 11 (Updated 3/4/2022)

EDD 4: July 26 - September 6 (Updated 3/29/2022)

EDD 5: August 8 - September 12 (Updated 6/13/2022)

EDD 6: August 16 - September 13 (Updated 7/13/2022)

EDD 7: August 21 - September 4 (Updated 8/4/2022)

oh good lord, why so expensive?
A friend of mine told me he got a quote of around $120 with aviva, the cheapest he could find... $300 seems a bit too much
Ouch, my insurance is only going to be $100 a month, which is $10 more than what I currently pay for a Kia Sportage..
Ooh! In BC (Canada), it is mandatory to get the insurance provided by the govt body (ICBC), and if we want any additional coverage, then we can go for private on top of it. And, ICBC rep said Tesla repair costs are way too expensive.. so the insurance is higher than other cars (even higher than BMW, RangeRover, etc). I have around 6 years of foreign driving experience and a little over 2 years of Canadian driving experience, so the insurance is a bit high. but I don't have any claims on my insurances before, so I'm glad it's not higher than $300 :D (I used to pay way less for my old car in Montreal until I moved to BC)

Reactions: fer_
So, my trade in offer expired yesterday and I submitted the updated odometer right away to get another offer...
Someone asked about how long does it take. In my experience (renewing my offer for the 3rd or 4th time), it's usually pretty fast. I'm expecting a new offer today, let's see...

I hope this doesn't affect my delivery. A Tesla rep told me that it shouldn't... But we never know right.
I was wondering if I shouldn't just click on "I don't want to trade in a vehicle". They will text me about the trade in anyway, right?

How does that offer looks compare to selling it yourself on Kijiji?
I think it's better to sell it yourself on Kijiji than to trade-in with Tesla. With the vehicle shortage, you'll get a better value if you're selling it. Tesla gave me a $12,200 trade-in offer on my old Mazda CX-3. but I was able to sell it online for $16,000. It could've been even more if I wasn't in a rush to sell it.

I think it's better to sell it yourself on Kijiji than to trade-in with Tesla. With the vehicle shortage, you'll get a better value if you're selling it. Tesla gave me a $12,200 trade-in offer on my old Mazda CX-3. but I was able to sell it online for $16,000. It could've been even more if I wasn't in a rush to sell it.
I'll really have to weight both options when time comes. I have a Volt 2017 but with higher mileage then most on Kijiji 120,000km. The asking range seems to be $26-28K. I sold (3) car in the past on Kijiji but I was not buying at the same time.

Selling to a private :
  • Pay for a CarFax if you want to be at par with your competition.
  • Placing the ad.
  • Answering requests that most of the time answer is listed in the ad.
  • Making appointments where some will not show-up.
  • Write a minimal contract for my own protection. (Car seen, as is, offered to have inspection...)
  • Maybe set-up a mechanical inspection. (Rarely)
  • Negotiate price.
  • Make sure the buyer has a rock solid payment method.
  • Go with buyer to the registration office (where he'll be surprise that he has to pay taxes and propose to share)
  • Find a way to get back home.
  • Potential come-back for something that has not failed in the last (6) years but will a few days later and a buyer that will not have read the mini-contract.
Selling to Tesla :
  • Deduct the offered price from the new car price +/-$3.5K
  • Hand the keys.
  • Walk away with your new car.

I'll really have to weight both options when time comes. I have a Volt 2017 but with higher mileage then most on Kijiji 120,000km. The asking range seems to be $26-28K. I sold (3) car in the past on Kijiji but I was not buying at the same time.

Selling to a private :
  • Pay for a CarFax if you want to be at par with your competition.
  • Placing the ad.
  • Answering requests that most of the time answer is listed in the ad.
  • Making appointments where some will not show-up.
  • Write a minimal contract for my own protection. (Car seen, as is, offered to have inspection...)
  • Maybe set-up a mechanical inspection. (Rarely)
  • Negotiate price.
  • Make sure the buyer has a rock solid payment method.
  • Go with buyer to the registration office (where he'll be surprise that he has to pay taxes and propose to share)
  • Find a way to get back home.
  • Potential come-back for something that has not failed in the last (6) years but will a few days later and a buyer that will not have read the mini-contract.
Selling to Tesla :
  • Deduct the offered price from the new car price +/-$3.5K
  • Hand the keys.
  • Walk away with your new car.
Yeah. I agree with you.. and you also need to watch out for scams where people ask you to buy different company’s reports and ask you to pay for it saying that they won’t negotiate as long as you pay for report, and once you get the report, they just keep on postponing or stop replying.. but I sold it to the dealership and they took care of everything (didn’t even ask for report, just the VIN. And also took care of transferring ownership with no additional cost). So I listed for $20k, and they negotiated to $16k, while Tesla’s trade-in value was $12.2k. So, I think it’s still worth trying to sell online and see if you can get better value with some dealership before considering trade-in.

Yeah. I agree with you.. and you also need to watch out for scams where people ask you to buy different company’s reports and ask you to pay for it saying that they won’t negotiate as long as you pay for report, and once you get the report, they just keep on postponing or stop replying.. but I sold it to the dealership and they took care of everything (didn’t even ask for report, just the VIN. And also took care of transferring ownership with no additional cost). So I listed for $20k, and they negotiated to $16k, while Tesla’s trade-in value was $12.2k. So, I think it’s still worth trying to sell online and see if you can get better value with some dealership before considering trade-in.
Just did an automated price quote with Auto-Hebdo (Accu-trade in the background) and the offer is $17.5K. I'm assuming that Tesla might even be using the same or at least similar service. So it might worth the effort to try to sell by myself.

Reactions: ndkcha
From what we've seen in the last few months, your initial EDD has very little chances of materializing. There are peoples with 2021 OD in this forum still waiting. However, being in CA gives you an edge as Tesla seems to make the furthest deliveries early in the quarter and blitz to local (Fremont) in order to meet production numbers.

As far as switching to LR, all the ones that did saw huge improvements but that may have been because LFP cells made in China were back-ordered in Q2 and as these cells gets available, it is possible that there will be a RWD blitz, explaining why the published EDD is currently longer for the LR compared to RWD.

Your guesses are as good as anybody else.

Welcome to the group.
Thank you for the response,

I talked to Tesla today and they said if I change my order to LR it wont impact my EDD. So now like I said I am on the hot seat to make a choice between staying with the SR or switching to LR. I choose to go with a Tesla due to my drive to work. I drive 70 miles round trip 4 days a week, on the weekends I will be using my truck as i need it for towing my toys around. I plan on staying with this car until the wheels fall off so I am wondering if I should go with the LR, especially in considering battery loss of 1-2% each year. Your thoughts?