Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I set up my bank account as a payment method using Plaid, am I authorizing Tesla to withdraw the money anytime or do I still have to submit/confirm the final payment? I would prefer to set it up before delivery day but I also don't want to end up making the final payment now.
You still have to authorized the transfer after linking your account to Plaid. Tesla cannot take your money. With that said, I submitted my payment in advance and didn't lose any leverage in the transaction. The delivery staff seemed indifferent about whether payment was made prior to or on the delivery date via plaid or certified check.

It is unproven, but I suspected those who submit their payment are expedited to a degree since lots of buyers try to game the system by saying they are cash buyers then switch to financing after they get their delivery date locked in.

Reactions: mgs333
That is strange, perhaps they have the wrong number for you or you provided a landline. Something seems out of place as everyone else gets text messages.

Try responding to your one email and calling your delivery center. For all you know the car is in the process of being put onto a carrier for transport to your local delivery center after Jan 1st.
Thanks. I do think it is strange that I don't receive any text from them. I just checked my profile in the account and the (cell) phone number is correct. I replied to the order confirmation email (Tesla <[email protected]>) and it got denied. I also emailed to <[email protected]> which others used to contact them but just got an automatic reply saying: "Thank you for contacting Tesla. Please note this inbox is no longer monitored for responses. For support, please contact your local Tesla showroom or service center and one of our representatives will be happy to assist." Will call the delivery center tomorrow morning.

You still have to authorized the transfer after linking your account to Plaid. Tesla cannot take your money. With that said, I submitted my payment in advance and didn't lose any leverage in the transaction. The delivery staff seemed indifferent about whether payment was made prior to or on the delivery date via plaid or certified check.

It is unproven, but I suspected those who submit their payment are expedited to a degree since lots of buyers try to game the system by saying they are cash buyers then switch to financing after they get their delivery date locked in.
Thanks, I'm so glad I checked, it turns out Plaid can't link to my credit union, I would have been SOL if I went to pick up and realized I could not link to my credit union, at least now I'll have a certified check ready.

I ordered a model 3 RWD on Dec 12th 2022. I have an estimated delivery date range of Dec 29 - Dec 31st. This range keeps slipping. I want to take delivery this year to capture the $7,500 credit. I won't be able to capture the credit next year to to income limits. Does anyone have a similar situation? I sure hope Tesla can deliver the car by year end.

I ordered M3 white RWD on 12/21 after seeing $7500 credit. Delivery estimate keeps showing as Dec 22 even though i have not been assigned a VIN even as of 12/29 3am. Do u think its feasible they can deliver in Seattle in next 2 days in this case. I tried two chat agents - one told it may take two weeks and not cancel order as Jan may have some benefits. Other said it will still be delivered before end of year.

I ordered M3 white RWD on 12/21 after seeing $7500 credit. Delivery estimate keeps showing as Dec 22 even though i have not been assigned a VIN even as of 12/29 3am. Do u think its feasible they can deliver in Seattle in next 2 days in this case. I tried two chat agents - one told it may take two weeks and not cancel order as Jan may have some benefits. Other said it will still be delivered before end of year.

Your path forward for 12/31 delivery might hinge on another customer scheduled for delivery at your local delivery center falling through due to cold feet or financing issues and the VIN becoming available for reassign to you. For your car to have had a chance of arriving in Seattle by this weekend, it would have had to been in transit a week ago from Fremont.

All you can do is make sure you have your tasks completed and are prepared to take delivery if the opportunity comes up on 12/31. Don't put yourself in a position where you are trying to arrange a certified check, financing, or insurance, or whatever on Saturday morning when everyone is closed for the holiday.

Last edited:
Payment via Plaid is immediate even if you process the payment on a weekend, meaning non-banking hours. If the balance changes for any reason prior to delivery, the app/website will update the invoice and you will have either a credit or additional payment due task in the app. Not uncommon for buyers to add or subtract EAP or FSD during the waiting period which changes the invoice and status of the balance.

You can pay via certified check on delivery day. You can also pay via Plaid on your delivery date when you arrive at the center.

If I were in California, I would text them back and ask someone to call me back. I would see if it were possible for me to travel to Fremont where the car is being produced and pickup on Dec 31st. There was a leaked email today from Musk asking all Tesla Employees to do everything possible to get deliveries completed by EoY and encouraging others to volunteer to help.
Finally today I got text messages from Tesla informing the VIN assigned. Then I replied and asked about the possibility to pick it up at Fremont to get it by 12/31. Initially some replied saying that they have to check with teams to see if it is possible. After back and forth messages, the message I just got said:

"at this point we are not able to change your delivery location to Fremont as doing so would cause the system to automatically unmatch the current VIN. If this happens, we would not be able to rematch as we are not able to match pre-production cars.".

Guess this is it.

So the agents (it seems like multiple persons) have been replying my text messages. One told me that they could make the change of the delivery to Dublin which has high odds of getting it on-time. I found this strange since based on the Google maps, it is 10 minutes drive from Fremont Factory to Fremont delivery center and 30 minutes from Fremont factory to Dublin delivery center. So I agree to have it changed to Dublin and then the assigned VIN disappeared. They said when the delivery center is changed, it automatically removes the VIN.

Finally today I got text messages from Tesla informing the VIN assigned. Then I replied and asked about the possibility to pick it up at Fremont to get it by 12/31. Initially some replied saying that they have to check with teams to see if it is possible. After back and forth messages, the message I just got said:

"at this point we are not able to change your delivery location to Fremont as doing so would cause the system to automatically unmatch the current VIN. If this happens, we would not be able to rematch as we are not able to match pre-production cars.".

Guess this is it.
We know that it takes approximately 30 hours for Fremont to assemble a Model 3 from scratch. So the question is whether your car is still "pre-production" or is it completed and now stuck in the logistics pipeline with thousands of others cars that need to be shipped all around North America. The simplistic outsider's view would question why couldn't someone at Fremont remotely wake up your car so its location can be pinpointed and the car pulled out of logistics and driven across the Fremont campus to the delivery center. It sounds like it isn't that simple to pull off but if they have a VIN, they know exactly where it is.

The concern that I would have is if the VIN for your car becomes un-tethered to you is will it fall into the "existing inventory" stock and potentially quickly reallocated to a customer waiting in the wings. But perhaps the Dublin Delivery Center has been put on notice.

Keep the faith, at least you are moving the ball forward and they are attempting to help you. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Had a totally great delivery experience of my M3 RWD grey/black/18" at Fremont on 12/28 (ordered 12/19). Had no human interaction and didn't want/need any. Had my brother along, who has had 3 Teslas (all deliveries @ Fremont) & joined countless friends' Tesla (& many other new vehicles) deliveries. Car is excellent. Has the Matrix headlights and LFP battery - for under $40k & 10k free supercharger miles (love those end of Q4 delivery incentives), I'm beyond pleased. I've promptly removed those heinous wheel covers & the car is looking sharp (& already dirty, I live down a dirt/aka muddy road in winter). Garage is messy, don't judge 😆

20221230_114518.jpg

Reactions: mgs333
Picked up my RWD today at Vallejo. Had a 1PM appointment but showed up close to 3 after someone from Tesla told me a few days ago that as long as I show up after my time, it should be ok. Had brought a cashier's check (my credit union said it's the same as a certified check) and told the Tesla rep I'd like to look at the outside first before paying. The outside looked fine although it was drizzling so didn't really spend that much time on it, paid and got in the car and the inside was good, but there were smudges in several places on the seats, 1 blue/red smudge on the lower left part of the seat (around where the seat controls are) doesn't seem to wipe off with water, not sure if it's worth doing a service visit.

They were busy but not ridiculously so, there weren't many places to park for customers as there were were lots of cars staged. Very simple process. Very happy with the car so far!

Reactions: ankit
Quite a number of new inventory M3 in all variations, including the rwd up right now (12:45AM) for pick up direct in Fremont so it could very be possible to still get in the $7500 discount for pick up on the 31st. Good luck!