Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State of Charge: Percentage or Distance?

How do you prefer to see your state of charge?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently I switched my settings from rated miles to percentage, and I like it. Instead of thinking about how my rated miles convert to actual miles, I find that I can plan on using 30% for my daily commute. What setting works best for you?

Recently I switched my settings from rated miles to percentage, and I like it. Instead of thinking about how my rated miles convert to actual miles, I find that I can plan on using 30% for my daily commute. What setting works best for you?
you really shouldn't even concern yourself with your SOC if it is a daily commute. just plug in every night and do your regular run.

I always wondered why the charging screen couldn't show both...or have a button to allow you to toggle back and forth with one tap.

Instead of going through the longer process of going to settings, etc. to toggle back and forth, someone pointed out a shorter way to toggle back and forth now is just to copy your driver profile and have one set up for miles and the other for kWh. That way you can change back and forth with just a couple taps.

Reactions: ArtInCT
I rather like the idea of have all of the options displayed. Sometimes I have managed to beat ideal (!) but other drivers cannot have been happy about me puddling along at a precise 45 mph.:p Normally I display percentage maybe because of habit but any of them can work so long as we understand precisely and accurately what they mean.

Percentage. Percentage. Percentage. There is only one percentage number to keep in mind vs. different flavors of miles that get confusing.

Simple math too. Find out your true 80%-90%, 3 miles per KwH and voila, you've got your actual/physical/real/<insert word of your choice> mileage.

I always wondered why the charging screen couldn't show both...or have a button to allow you to toggle back and forth with one tap.

Instead of going through the longer process of going to settings, etc. to toggle back and forth, someone pointed out a shorter way to toggle back and forth now is just to copy your driver profile and have one set up for miles and the other for kWh. That way you can change back and forth with just a couple taps.
That's exactly what I do. Two profiles... Art Pct and Art Miles. Sweet

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I do realize that "rated range" is not perfectly accurate since it can be affected by weather, terrain, etc. However, in 40,000 miles of driving, I have found it very accurate and very useful.
I just wouldn't know what to do with "percentage"... I guess I could convert it to miles using something like rated max range * percentage but why not just display rated range.

I always select "web page views available" instead of "percent battery available" on my iPhone.

Just FYI, on my P90D my actual Mileage per Full Charge has ranged from 155 miles up to 264 miles. Just too many variables to count on an accurate mileage estimate.

Last edited:

Me too. Also, I was stressing over the different mile values every time I charged up, was worrying about degradation and so forth.

Also, it occurred to me that ICE cars don't calibrate their gas gauges in miles. They could, by taking the EPA combined fuel efficiency rating and fuel tank capacity into account. A lot of ICE cars have a Trip Computer which calculates how far you can go based on recent past driving style... and so does Tesla! This is a much more accurate prediction of range than a static "Rated Miles" number on your fuel gauge. So I like my "fuel gauge" to tell me, as a percentage, how much juice I have and use the Trip Planner for accurate range predictions when I need it.

Reactions: mblakele
I just can't think in terms of percentages--not useful. So I keep it on rated miles and just ballpark that it's a little high. If it says 190, I can probably go 170. I'll just generally drop 20 or 30 off the number, and it's close enough. I don't worry or stress about it, and most of the time I don't need to care. If I'm on a longer trip and need to pay more attention to making a driving segment work, then I'm not really using either, because I'm using the estimates from the energy app on the center screen, not whatever is on the console display in front anyway.

A long time friend who has a Founder S told me that his rule of thumb is really simple and takes into account the worst case which is winter... He banks on 2 real miles per percentage of charge. This gives him ample inter Superchaarger range of 200 miles which is pretty much very good. It also simplifies the estimation by doubling the percent to get your range.... So 80% = 160 miles of worst case range.

I suppose winter in the western mountains could break this method but here on the East Coast it seems to work and is simple to do and understand and estimate.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond