Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still Waiting for Elon's Blog Post on Autopilot Update...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nobody mentioned this one yet.

• Will take highway exit if indicator on (8.0) or if nav system active (8.1). Available in the United States initially
To me, this sounds like initially you can hit the turn signal and the car will follow the exit ramp. Then, with 8.1, it sounds like the car will follow your nav when an exit is required. That is going to be seriously awesome if I'm reading that right.

• Will take highway exit if indicator on (8.0) or if nav system active (8.1). Available in the United States initially
To me, this sounds like initially you can hit the turn signal and the car will follow the exit ramp. Then, with 8.1, it sounds like the car will follow your nav when an exit is required. That is going to be seriously awesome if I'm reading that right.
Sounds like that to me as well. NAV directions on, turn signal and it exits highway. Very cool!
And yes I would read 200 bullet points ;)

Reactions: Saghost

Never miss an exit again! This will literally save marriages.

It sounds like there is much good stuff in 8, but the way I read reports on how it handles nags is that if the audible "hands on the wheel" alarm goes off three times in an hour -- even if you then immediately shake the wheel -- it locks you out of AP until after you next park. So either 1) we really will have to put hands on the wheel, or 2) we will have to continuously stare at at the display (and not look at the road) to make sure we don't miss the visual warning. Of course I don't think (2) is what Elon has in mind.

From Sterling Anderson, director of Autopilot program through Twitter:

"One Tesla, driving one stretch of road, one time benefits all other cars in fleet. Scale that across over 100K cars traveling over 3M mi/day."
Tesla better guard that data center with their very lives. I'm thinking underground base with a platoon of armed soldiers, backed by fully autonomous weaponized Model X's...

I'm generally very happy with the directions this imminent software release took. It is increasing accuracy and capability, and thus quality.

I highlighted a few points here, on Reddit, and in Twitter, mostly non-vital, but my favorite right now is in the TechCrunch article, they mentioned that this is bumping closer to the in-vehicle processing limits of the existing fleet. I expect newer processing power capabilities will be coming to newer vehicles. To me, fully utilizing hardware is always a good sign of better programming, better intelligence. Let's hope they aren't going to burn out the CPU's from lack of cooling.

Woohoo. Moose braking.
Not necessarily, according to the TechCrunch article, if that moose is fluffy.

Which gets to something I've always wanted: infrared cameras, to see stuff that might intersect, like deer, and stuff. Well, as an additional input. Plot trajectories, behaviors, etc. Cloud computing could help with that, so even the CPU-bound current hardware should be able to make use of that data.

It sounds like there is much good stuff in 8, but the way I read reports on how it handles nags is that if the audible "hands on the wheel" alarm goes off three times in an hour -- even if you then immediately shake the wheel -- it locks you out of AP until after you next park. So either 1) we really will have to put hands on the wheel, or 2) we will have to continuously stare at at the display (and not look at the road) to make sure we don't miss the visual warning. Of course I don't think (2) is what Elon has in mind.

Yeah, that is what I noticed as well. SlashGear has more of his quotes from the presser.
Tesla Autopilot v8 detailed: Smarter radar in 1-2 weeks

"Autopilot accidents are far more likely for expert users,” Musk points out. “It’s not the neophytes, it’s the expects. They get very comfortable with it, and repeatedly ignore the car’s warnings … The car will beep at them, they tug the wheel. It’ll beep at them, they tug the wheel. It becomes a reflex action.”