Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stopped my MCU from leaking. Saved $$$.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like LCD+touch screen is separable. Didn't complete it myself but thought I leave info for future

All evidence suggest Tesla designed this touch screen themselves (industrial 17" touch screen unavailable in early 2010 design cycle) So they paired an off the shelf screen with their own touch screen matrix design. Adding in the optical viewing angle improvement goo that leaks.

Looking at the construction closely, the touch matrix are completely separate layer than the goo. The touch screen itself is really just glued to the LCD with only this goo and nothing else.

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 4.01.36 PM.png

So theoretically should be possible to use a thin wire to cut the goo and separate the layer. However the goo is incredibly sticky and perhaps will stick again soon after cut. Perhaps have to follow the cut wire with something like waxed plastic sheet to keep it from sticking back together. I tried using scraper but the glass substrate cracked in a couple of places so too fragile besides cutting with wires.

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 3.45.45 PM.png

A screw need to be removed and flex connector detached from each of the 4 touch screen flex cables so flex can be lifted up to wire cut the goo.

1F3CB065-D4A1-451D-9966-59F750BC6D5E_1_201_a.jpeg

1B9AAA4B-9479-4BB5-9ED7-62862EAFE84E_1_201_a.jpeg

Of course after separating the 2 layers, there is the task of removing the goo completely and reassemble the 2 layers (figure out some way to keep the 2 layers together without the goo)

Cleaning the goo on top of LCD is likely a challenge as well. LCDs without any protective top layers are likely incredibly easy to scratch.

BTW, iphone/ipad glued LCD touch screens separation is basically this same process with a lot finer geometry. But they also get custom tools for the job :)

Also if you just want to seal the edge where the goo can leak out with RTV, the touch screen flex cable need to be disconnected and pulled back to get underneath where the gap is. This may work since gravity pulls the softened goo to leak along the bottom edge. But the goo could also find its way behind through the gaps in the LCD. Don't really know.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS
@howardc64: Back in your 2021 post, you noticed bubble at the top of your instrument cluster screen and decided to leave it alone. Has that screen continued to degrade or is the condition steady from 1+ year ago? My early 2013 instrument cluster screen is leaking all over and I bought a used screen from eBay that I noticed air bubbles at the top edge over the bezel too. Wonder if I should continue with replacement. I'm thinking yes because I'm planning to trade in the car anyway when the new X arrives in the next couple of months.

@howardc64: Back in your 2021 post, you noticed bubble at the top of your instrument cluster screen and decided to leave it alone. Has that screen continued to degrade or is the condition steady from 1+ year ago? My early 2013 instrument cluster screen is leaking all over and I bought a used screen from eBay that I noticed air bubbles at the top edge over the bezel too. Wonder if I should continue with replacement. I'm thinking yes because I'm planning to trade in the car anyway when the new X arrives in the next couple of months.

Yes, leaking got worse as weather warmed this year. Eventually 1/2" across top of the screen ( pic in post #29 ) and felt a little goo on top of the dash pocket underneath. I don't park outside in the sun. Significant air pocket growth just parked in garage and over night so I guess thermal cycling aids the leak. Gambled on highly rated seller for used unit and got very good quality ebay unit for $100.

The leaked goo is fairly viscous. Don't know the original viscosity or whether this is degraded by UV, heat, or thermal cycling.

Hope this helps

• Informative
Reactions: ken830
Yes, leaking got worse as weather warmed this year. Eventually 1/2" across top of the screen ( pic in post #29 ) and felt a little goo on top of the dash pocket underneath. I don't park outside in the sun. Significant air pocket growth just parked in garage and over night so I guess thermal cycling aids the leak. Gambled on highly rated seller for used unit and got very good quality ebay unit for $100.

The leaked goo is fairly viscous. Don't know the original viscosity or whether this is degraded by UV, heat, or thermal cycling.

Hope this helps
I meant what you called, "instrument panel". The one with bubbles at the top edge and you decided not to do anything with at the very end of your #24 post.

I meant what you called, "instrument panel". The one with bubbles at the top edge and you decided not to do anything with at the very end of your #24 post.

Oh yes, sorry, you wrote instrument cluster :) I did nothing and still good. I feel it will likely survive since the IC is sunked in from direct sun and my MS is in garage all the time. You are in San Carlos so warmer than me. I think IC has aftermarket sources since its a standard part without Tesla customization. Don't know if higher quality.

Reactions: ken830
Oh yes, sorry, you wrote instrument cluster :) I did nothing and still good. I feel it will likely survive since the IC is sunked in from direct sun and my MS is in garage all the time. You are in San Carlos so warmer than me. I think IC has aftermarket sources since its a standard part without Tesla customization. Don't know if higher quality.

Thanks! That's good to hear. The replacement I bought is from a vehicle slightly newer than mine and I see bubbles at the top edge. I squeezed some of them out, but I think they will return. Hopefully, it last a few more years at least. I'm not planning on keeping the vehicle after the X arrives, but I still wanted the car to be in the best condition possible for whomever owns it next.

Although I haven had any issues so far, reading these cure attempts I always had a thought why not to use something like this from Tescon. It’s well known product in building environment for airtight bonding. Last year I used it on fixing my drivers side door handle where the weather protection cover was not well bonded. Haven’t had to look for it as it still working as should.

So theoretically should be possible to use a thin wire to cut the goo and separate the layer. However the goo is incredibly sticky and perhaps will stick again soon after cut. Perhaps have to follow the cut wire with something like waxed plastic sheet to keep it from sticking back together. I tried using scraper but the glass substrate cracked in a couple of places so too fragile besides cutting with wires.
I had exactly the same idea and did it on my IC yesterday... The cutting itself while using the hairdrier to heat it up was not a big deal.. But to deal with the goo, it was another story :D Finally as I tested some chemicals the 99% alcohol cleaner showed up to be best transferring the goo into quite good-removable jelly.. But it was still not enough, so I poured the alcohol into small box making it only 1-2mm deep and left the LCD in it so the goo can have time to soak the alcohol.. After a while, you can use credit card or so to remove the jellied goo out. For thick layer of the goo you will have to repeat the process. A lot of rags + some gloves and 1l alcohol recommended (do not use any drinkable only 40% or so, this doesn't work!). The result seems to be good and LCD survived :D Also do not try to apply water to clean it, it will make the goo sticky again. After the job, wash your accessories as much as possible only by clean alcohol, in water it is not doable.
Regarding the big screen, mine started to bubble like one year ago, but the only bubble is still not spreading fast. But I have now ordered another new revision (blue board+black cables) screen on Ebay as I don't want to clean the goo out of the interior and it still can be sold for something as it doesn't have any yellow edges and is fully working. I plan to also use some epoxy to fix the edges...any tips are welcome!

EDIT: another remark came to my mind, be careful with the removing on the edges as there's some shielding covering the ribbon cables going into LCD. I managed to damage a bit the shielding, but the cables thankfully survived :)

Good luck to everybody who will try it!

Attachments

• IMG-20230709-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20230709-WA0003.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20230709_181003_283.jpg
    IMG_20230709_181003_283.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20230709_180627_353.jpg
    IMG_20230709_180627_353.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Any video on how to do it ?
Sorry, unfortunately no video... it was sticky PITA job and was glad I finally succeeded somehow.. Next time I'd remove the glass the same way using a thin wire, but I'd be more careful when soaking the LCD in alcohol. I'd use maybe some rag to soak the alcohol into first and then to put the sticky LCD on it as it's not good to sink it deep into it, it would influence the backlit distribution layer which creates some ghosting in the picture. And also might damage the LCD, who knows..