Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange episode on M1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK
Last night I was coming southbound on the M1 on AP. There had been a nasty accident just before Woodhall services, and what started out as a one lane closure ended up with us all stationary for about 45 minutes.

The car worked perfectly in the stop-start traffic as we approached the holdup, and duly stopped behind the lorry in front. Because I didn’t at this stage know how long we were going to be stopped, I left the car in drive and AP.

After about ten minutes I noticed the car had engaged HOLD, which was fine and I think I’ve seen before.

After about another ten minutes the car suddenly flashed up a red steering wheel in the visualisation area, along with a message that was gone before I could read it, and sounded the “collision avoidance” alarm. The car exterior lights turned off, the hazard flashers came on, and all four passenger lights came on!

During this event there was absolutely no movement or activity around us. I imagine the cars around us thought I’d gone mad :D

I turned the headlights back on (they were still in Auto), turned the hazard flashers off, and turned off the interior lights one by one. I engaged park and then we sat there for another 25 minutes without further incident.

Has anybody else had a similar meltdown in their Model 3?

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
Someone else posted on the forum somewhere (sorry can't remember which thread) about their M3 doing the same thing when stopped and a cyclist moved in front of the car.

Perhaps a bug in the system where the car thinks it's been involved in an accident so stops and puts the hazards on.

Autopilit is still technically in Beta, i'd imagine things like this should get ironed out when it comes out of Beta.

On a side note...hope you made good use of Netflix in your M3 during that traffic jam, sounds like a long one. Netflix built into a car...what a time to be alive.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Last night I was coming southbound on the M1 on AP. There had been a nasty accident just before Woodhall services, and what started out as a one lane closure ended up with us all stationary for about 45 minutes.

The car worked perfectly in the stop-start traffic as we approached the holdup, and duly stopped behind the lorry in front. Because I didn’t at this stage know how long we were going to be stopped, I left the car in drive and AP.

After about ten minutes I noticed the car had engaged HOLD, which was fine and I think I’ve seen before.

After about another ten minutes the car suddenly flashed up a red steering wheel in the visualisation area, along with a message that was gone before I could read it, and sounded the “collision avoidance” alarm. The car exterior lights turned off, the hazard flashers came on, and all four passenger lights came on!

During this event there was absolutely no movement or activity around us. I imagine the cars around us thought I’d gone mad :D

I turned the headlights back on (they were still in Auto), turned the hazard flashers off, and turned off the interior lights one by one. I engaged park and then we sat there for another 25 minutes without further incident.

Has anybody else had a similar meltdown in their Model 3?
any ideas on energy usage (Preferably in KWH) whilst you were stationary for that long. I assume you still had climate on and also possibly other programs such as netflix like suggested above. Im trying to work out how much effect this might have on planned trips - ie 1 hour stand still in traffic uses 10kwh in this climate and therefore should avoid dropping below 20% on longer trips in case of being in standstill traffic for X amount of time.

Someone else posted on the forum somewhere (sorry can't remember which thread) about their M3 doing the same thing when stopped and a cyclist moved in front of the car.

Perhaps a bug in the system where the car thinks it's been involved in an accident so stops and puts the hazards on.

Autopilit is still technically in Beta, i'd imagine things like this should get ironed out when it comes out of Beta.

On a side note...hope you made good use of Netflix in your M3 during that traffic jam, sounds like a long one. Netflix built into a car...what a time to be alive.
Unfortunately although there was about a 3 bar LTE signal neither Netflix or YouTube would work...

So we had to make do with music, and strangely that did work :D

any ideas on energy usage (Preferably in KWH) whilst you were stationary for that long. I assume you still had climate on and also possibly other programs such as netflix like suggested above. Im trying to work out how much effect this might have on planned trips - ie 1 hour stand still in traffic uses 10kwh in this climate and therefore should avoid dropping below 20% on longer trips in case of being in standstill traffic for X amount of time.
We were stopped for about 45 minutes, and, yes, we had the climate set to 19 degrees C. Headlights were on, and music. The outside temperature was 1 degrees C.

I prefer to display miles rather than percentage, and while we were stopped we lost four miles of range, so approximately 1.0 - 1.5kWh.

Unfortunately although there was about a 3 bar LTE signal neither Netflix or YouTube would work...

So we had to make do with music, and strangely that did work :D

Was the entertainment icon greyed out? If so, as Epico said, it won't even give access to the theater section unless your car is in Park.

3 bars of LTE should be fine. And if it loaded Spotify fine then should have loaded Netflix as well.

Yes it was me that is happened to, it was a very strange experience, hazard came on and car went into park, it was daytime so not sure if the external lights went off, I just needed to put car back in drive and turn hazards off.

AP was engaged, but as something had come into the vicinity between me and the car infant it must have thought the car infront was going to hit the car or the cyclists were going to.

Perhaps the vehicle in front of you started to roll back that made the sensors through a crazy on you!

Reactions: Cowpring and Roy W.
Yes it was me that is happened to, it was a very strange experience, hazard came on and car went into park, it was daytime so not sure if the external lights went off, I just needed to put car back in drive and turn hazards off.

AP was engaged, but as something had come into the vicinity between me and the car infant it must have thought the car infront was going to hit the car or the cyclists were going to.

Perhaps the vehicle in front of you started to roll back that made the sensors through a crazy on you!
Nice to know I’m not on my own anyway.

Something certainly spooked the computer! :D

"Note: After actively braking Model 3 for
approximately ten minutes, Model 3 shifts into
Park and Vehicle Hold cancels."

You saw it go into Hold mode and presumably 10 minutes later it automatically shifted into Park mode, but I can't account for the warnings you saw, but I do seem to remember another post somewhere similar to yours in that the car reacted to hazards when stationary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy W.
"Note: After actively braking Model 3 for
approximately ten minutes, Model 3 shifts into
Park and Vehicle Hold cancels."

You saw it go into Hold mode and presumably 10 minutes later it automatically shifted into Park mode, but I can't account for the warnings you saw, but I do seem to remember another post somewhere similar to yours in that the car reacted to hazards when stationary.

well for me it was like one minute, this is most definitely something else

Reactions: Roy W.