Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Struts That Make Trunk and Frunk Pop Open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the trunk struts from EVannex about 2 weeks ago. Definitely requires more force to close the trunk. I'm curious about the references to metal ball sockets at the top of the thread and whether that's something that applies to the EVannex struts.

I replaced the plastic ball assembly with the metal ones on the StrongArm 4129, so I can't be sure about the EVannex. But given how common these sorts of struts are, it would make little sense for them to have multiple standard threadings. They call it "M6" thread, 10mm ball.

I would suggest just ordering a pair, and worst case returning them. They come pre-lubed, wipe the ball of any debris, but keep the lube in the socket. As to any slight difference in length, if there is any, so what?

The trade-off on self-opening with a little extra force to close the trunk is obviously up to the user.

Last edited:
This is an angle fitting as stock example angle fitting.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt and Phlier
Tesla Model 3 Automatic Trunk Lift Supports Rear Trunk Struts with Spring and Stainless Steel Washer (SET OF TWO) V2.0 [Upgraded]
Somewhat install, just be sure to have two different size flatheads, took ~5 minutes, watch YouTube videos first.

Lift Supports,ECCPP Front Hood Lift Support Struts Gas Springs for 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Compatible with 6304 Strut Set of 2
For auto frunk, easier install than trunk. Took 1 minute. I only did 1 strut and it opens more gracefully vs 2 struts which makes the frunk fly open and hood bounce.
Thanks for that. I'm going to order both sets of Basenor... one for the frunk and one for the trunk. Any reason why you didn't go with the Basenor set for the frunk?

Thanks for that. I'm going to order both sets of Basenor... one for the frunk and one for the trunk. Any reason why you didn't go with the Basenor set for the frunk?

I didn't go with Basenor for the frunk because i1Tesla and Tesla Wild went with the strut I had posted. It worked for them so I figured it should work for me. They're probably pretty similar. Have you received your Basenor struts?

I’ve got the trunk springs from Evannex. They work well but I would say “violent” is the speed in which it opens. I have to tell folks to stand back. It’s a bit faster than I’d like and is difficult to close one handled or by my wife.

any of them just right b/t weak stock and too strong mods?

Anyone who has installed the frunk struts, can you tell me if you’re able to compress the struts individually by hand (pushing one end into a carpeted floor, for instance)?

I ordered off the Amazon links and received struts which, when installed, I felt were too stiff to safely close the frunk without undue hood flex. When I tested them each by hand, I was able to compress one of the struts, but not the other. Just trying to figure out which strut was ‘right’.

Last edited:
Anyone who has installed the frunk struts, can you tell me if you’re able to compress the struts individually by hand (pushing one end into a carpeted floor, for instance)?

I ordered off the Amazon links and received struts which, when installed, I felt were too stiff to safely close the frunk without undue hood flex. When I tested them each by hand, I was able to compress one of the struts, but not the other. Just trying to figure out which strut was ‘right’.

You should be able to compress the struts. One is too stiff. Have you tried installing just the one that can be compressed? Try that and see if it closes easier (and opens more gracefully).

Reactions: John S.

I had Basenor ones and it was too stiff/strong to compress by hand or even when pushed into the ground. Worked fine when it was installed. But I ultimately uninstalled it, because when it pops open, you can see the hood flex. Then when you try to close it by hand, you have to really pull down with a lot of pressure, and you can feel frunk metal bend to overcome the strut to compress it downwards.

You should be able to compress the struts. One is too stiff. Have you tried installing just the one that can be compressed? Try that and see if it closes easier (and opens more gracefully).

Thanks for confirming that the stiff strut was the defective one. I decided to return them and will hopefully get a functioning replacement. Nice to know they should be able to be compressed by hand.