Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Up until a couple of weeks ago, my 2021 model S LR (34k miles) would charge to ~385 miles if I needed a full charge. I noticed my normal, 80% charging was not starting at what it used to. I am suddenly only getting about 350-360 miles out of a full charge or 280 miles out of an 80% charge.

I almost never charge to 100% and usually charge every 2 or 3 days to 80%. I also usually start a charge if I am around 20-25%.

I have searched online and looked through Tesla documentation. I have also soft-reset the car by turning it off via the console and via the 4 finger button reset. Nothing has changed.

I have also been on hold, waiting for Tesla support for 90 minutes so far, while the app says it's a 10 minute wait.

Any idea what is going on?

There's more information about battery care on TMC than you can read. Start by searching posts by member AAKEE.

I'm no expert, all I know is from TMC and my experience.

My two cents. It's best to have shallow charge cycles. Meaning charging 5% to the targeted SOC is better than charging 60%. It's best to set target SOC to 55%. For example. My charge limit is set to 55%. Whether the car is down 3% or 20%, the car gets charged as soon as I get home when the battery is warm. Even if the car goes out multiple times in a day, it gets charged after every trip. When going out of town the car gets charged to 85%. The car may need a charge to get home. It will get charged so the battery is 50% when arriving at home, then it gets charged to 55%.

My 2022 MSLR has 19,000 miles and the Tessie app shows 3.1% degredation.

Reactions: NeuS
Does the car sleep at various charge levels, over time?

One guess is that the BMS finally caught up and has had a chance to calibrate your battery.
Yes, the car sleeps at various charge levels. During the week, I will typically use up about 80 miles of charge a day and only charge every 3rd day. The car will sleep while I am working (half way into that 80 miles) and at night.

I can see what you mean about the BMS.

Does the BMS kick off at a certain time or event?

There's more information about battery care on TMC than you can read. Start by searching posts by member AAKEE.

I'm no expert, all I know is from TMC and my experience.

My two cents. It's best to have shallow charge cycles. Meaning charging 5% to the targeted SOC is better than charging 60%. It's best to set target SOC to 55%. For example. My charge limit is set to 55%. Whether the car is down 3% or 20%, the car gets charged as soon as I get home when the battery is warm. Even if the car goes out multiple times in a day, it gets charged after every trip. When going out of town the car gets charged to 85%. The car may need a charge to get home. It will get charged so the battery is 50% when arriving at home, then it gets charged to 55%.

My 2022 MSLR has 19,000 miles and the Tessie app shows 3.1% degredation.
Thanks for the info. I will check out AAKEE

Tesla doesn't want to talk with you, never has. If you think you have a problem, submit a service ticket thru the app. Since your "degradation" is within Tesla Specs, you will be charged a diagnostic fee (used to be $175), unless they find a warranty problem. I normally charge to 60%. The BMS (and some updates) can change the range. Sometimes it is wrong at its figures. I "recalibrate" by charging to 90% or slightly above, and then use to bring the charge down to a little below 20%, then back to your normal charge level. Your miles will change. Common to lose around 5% of factory claimed range in the first year. Then subsequent years are usually much less. Go into Control Panel>Software, and press the car icon for 5 seconds until you get a password screen. Enter service as the password. select the HV battery along the left side, and see if it shows any problems. Also, look at any service alerts showing. Press each on for a description, and take a photo to retain any errors with your phone. BMS may improve itself over time in any event. If your car has anything serious wrong, you should get an alert outside of the Service appearing on your normal screen.

Reactions: NeuS and zoomer0056
Tesla doesn't want to talk with you, never has. If you think you have a problem, submit a service ticket thru the app. Since your "degradation" is within Tesla Specs, you will be charged a diagnostic fee (used to be $175), unless they find a warranty problem. I normally charge to 60%. The BMS (and some updates) can change the range. Sometimes it is wrong at its figures. I "recalibrate" by charging to 90% or slightly above, and then use to bring the charge down to a little below 20%, then back to your normal charge level. Your miles will change. Common to lose around 5% of factory claimed range in the first year. Then subsequent years are usually much less. Go into Control Panel>Software, and press the car icon for 5 seconds until you get a password screen. Enter service as the password. select the HV battery along the left side, and see if it shows any problems. Also, look at any service alerts showing. Press each on for a description, and take a photo to retain any errors with your phone. BMS may improve itself over time in any event. If your car has anything serious wrong, you should get an alert outside of the Service appearing on your normal screen.
2.75 hours on hold now; just curious if they'll ever pick up at this point. I only called because that's where the app led me when I followed the service ticket request process on the app, selecting battery & charging, then range. There doesn't seem a way to submit a request for this issue on the app.

I did lose about 5% the first year; that brought it down to 385ish from 405. This new, recent drop brought my car down to 13.6% from original capacity. Seems well outside of normal, based on charts I am seeing online for a car with 34k miles. I am finding several sources saying I shouldn't hit 10% until 125-150k miles.

Thanks for the information about recalibration it. I was finding that on TMC since being re-directed by others on this post. I also checked via service mode and things are reading green.

2.75 hours on hold now; just curious if they'll ever pick up at this point. I only called because that's where the app led me when I followed the service ticket request process on the app, selecting battery & charging, then range. There doesn't seem a way to submit a request for this issue on the app.
aka black hole 😅
ever wondered why no way to submit such issue ;)

• Funny
Reactions: NeuS