Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Whiteblaze, @fbitz777, @Ferrycraigs:

Are you guys plugged in when vampire drain is excessive?

No. I recently was out of the country for eight days. According to TeslaFi, on the first day it had 117.8 and on the last, 60.79 miles, for an average loss of 7.13/day.

Today, I haven't left the house, car has been sitting unplugged in the garage and TeslaFi says I've already lost 7.22 miles in 14 hours.

I left my car for 8 days just over a week ago with 150 miles of range when I parked (approx 60% [post update!!]). It lost 11miles the first 24 hours (5%) after parking and then 32 miles over the next 7 days which equates to 4-5 miles per day or 2%.

I avoided using the Tesla app so the car could sleep and we experienced daily temperatures up to 38C or 100F for the past week!

So not seeing any significant additional vampire drain once the car was parked after the first day. Nor does the car appear to be running the fan unnecessarily.

Having a bit of experience in software development, I expect that multiple teams are working on different features; BMS, Autopilot, Entertainment, System level reporting etc at the same time; either in a shared codebase or multiple codebases that are combined at build time, or kept and deployed separately by vehicle type (roadster vs MS/MX vs M3). There must be common code (UI) as that is an efficiency that development teams would be looking to achieve.

Someone is making a call about what features get rolled out in which version for which target car, and the prioritisation of those features.

Maybe the reason that new BMS fixes are not forthcoming is because Tesla still don't know how to mitigate the fire issue and restore range for affected customers.

Personally I would prefer to see no updates (bar important bug fixes) until the BMS issue is resolved, or failing that much better comms on what is actually incorporated into each release, and the ability to bypass an update if it really adds little or no value (like a game update!).

While the current release notes are pretty vague, and less than informative... as a software company you need to strike a balance between providing clear practical release update info, and boring the customer to death with tedious details that they really could care less about.

Ok. Wow. While I didn't have TeslaFi last year, I did have the foresight to take before and after screenshots of my app while parked unplugged at JFK airport last summer for 12 days. Day 1 was 149 miles, Day 12 was 119. So at this time last year, my vampire drain was 2.5 miles/day. Today it is over 7 miles/day.
I just looked at my Teslafi data for a recent airport stay and it showed 6.2 miles per day.
The rated range when I parked July 8 at 10AM was 100 miles
The rated range when I returned July 12 at 730PM was 74 miles.
The same 6+ miles per day lost was observed from May 3 to May 12 (prior to the offending "range-gate" updates 2019.16.x)

I just looked at my Teslafi data for a recent airport stay and it showed 6.2 miles per day.
The rated range when I parked July 8 at 10AM was 100 miles
The rated range when I returned July 12 at 730PM was 74 miles.
The same 6+ miles per day lost was observed from May 3 to May 12 (prior to the offending "range-gate" updates 2019.16.x)

Teslafi itself, and other apps that poll your car continuously, as well as you checking your app every hour, all causes more drain. Try disconnecting all that stuff, don’t check your app except start and finish, and see what the drain is.

Last edited:
I am wondering if someone could provide a professional battery expert opinion on what conditions need to be present in a battery to cause a fire. As well as a way to test for that via one of these scan tools? If we could somehow prove what conditions need to be present and get a professional opinion on how to mitigate it that would be outstanding proof for a battery replacement. Especially if that’s what the Tesla engineers recommended to throttle the charging that would help owners get battery replacement I would think? Just an idea I have thought a lot about this I like everyone else i think feels ripped off and we still don’t know if the reduction in charging and speed is due to fires.

I am wondering if someone could provide a professional battery expert opinion on what conditions need to be present in a battery to cause a fire. As well as a way to test for that via one of these scan tools? If we could somehow prove what conditions need to be present and get a professional opinion on how to mitigate it that would be outstanding proof for a battery replacement. Especially if that’s what the Tesla engineers recommended to throttle the charging that would help owners get battery replacement I would think? Just an idea I have thought a lot about this I like everyone else i think feels ripped off and we still don’t know if the reduction in charging and speed is due to fires.
I am torn on whether this is fire related. But, I think it probably is.
My problem is that the car in Hong Kong had been driven and sat parked for a half hour before the fire started. It was not being charged.
So, what condition or battery state while not charging could cause this?
Or, was the the car doing something like camper mode or smart preconditioning that had a significant load?
Were the battery cooling pumps running?

Since no changes were made to those modes (except more cooling pump activity now - maybe). I would say Tesla believes they are not part of it.

Personally, even with a nerfed battery I am not sure I am safe parking the car in my garage?

Reactions: Guy V and Blu Zap
Teslafi itself, and other apps that poll your car continuously, as well as you checking your app every hour, all causes more drain. Try disconnecting all that stuff, don’t check your app except start and finish, and see what the drain is.

That's a good point- in the past, when leaving my car for long periods, I never checked the app knowing it would cause more drain. It didn't occur to me that TeslaFi was having the same (actually worse) effect.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V

I am in discussions with an independent, credentialed battery expert. He is an expert in Li Ion battery longevity and failure modes. He’s evaluating my data.

So you think they should furlough the non-BMS developers until they resolve the BMS issue? :eek: Or are they allowed to work but not release the fruits of their labor?

A straw man is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man." Wikipedia

A straw man is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man." Wikipedia

Argument from fallacy is the fallacy of analyzing an argument and inferring that, since it contains a fallacy (especially erroneously alleging a fallacy which it doesn't contain), its conclusion must be false. Argument from fallacy - Wikipedia

I am torn on whether this is fire related. But, I think it probably is.
My problem is that the car in Hong Kong had been driven and sat parked for a half hour before the fire started. It was not being charged.
So, what condition or battery state while not charging could cause this?
(...)

Half an hour is not a lot of time. I think there's loads of possibilities. For example, when you charge and drive your car, the battery pack heats up. Once you park it, it cools down. While cooling there is lots that could potentially happen. For one, if you already have serious Li plating issues in a way that the separator has been damaged, a cooling pack might compress slightly and make the electrodes suddenly touch with a big contact area, leading to thermal runaway.